Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to K&N???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMosby
Yeah the stock box with a lid is definitely the way to go......VW???
Cool avatar BTW.
I was referring to the stock location with a different lid. I've looking into this a dozen different ways and I still have the stock Radiator mount and filter location. Just an FTP lid. My SLP lid was by far one of the best I've had yet.

And yes... my GTI is my DD.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My buddy has this K&N airbox on his Trans Am, haven't heard any real complaints with it but IMO it's severely overpriced for what you're getting. $350+ for something like this is ridiculous when you can buy a Grantelli or FTP, or any other lid for much less and get the same effect. My SLP has been fantastic so far, cheap, good fitment and easy installation.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Cant base filter location tab by the hood latch because the engines sit off centered in these cars. I agree it looks like a crap product though.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Wish i had taken more pics from further away to better compare. Call your card company and start a dispute if you arent having any luck,

Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, a Chris 1313 + FTP lid is a better combo in the first place in my opinion. I agree that K&N's quality has decreased over the past few years. List the thing for sale and but a nice lid imho.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Why would you get rid of the lid setup? Even on the Corvette, the Honker is the best setup for it... and it's just basically an air lid over a flat filter.... because that flows the best.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Cant base filter location tab by the hood latch because the engines sit off centered in these cars. I agree it looks like a crap product though.
I wasn't aware of the engine sitting off-center, but the stock filter setup sits dead center of the car. K&N customer service claims that if their filter doesn't sit centered, I (and everyone else) must have installed it wrong.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Wish i had taken more pics from further away to better compare.

Wow. Nice.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

hmm, i never noticed it but i think mine is a lil off too. looks like i bent the tab over a lil bit to make it work.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

their intakes are WAY over priced. i do use their drop in filters though because i like that i can clean and re-use them.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

only reason i have one is because it was on the car when i bought it. i would love to have a ws6 lower air box with a aftermarket lid and smooth bellow.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

LT1 F-Bodies do benefit from a better air intake system. K&N has a nice intake for these cars but when I had my '94, I discovered Trans-Dapt listed an identical intake at one third the cost. IDENTICAL.

It's been discontinued.

The K&N stuff just isn't worth the coin they charge.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

That silver ws6 with the stb is mine. I really don't post on here but noticed the pic on google images.

The K&N setup cost me close to $500 and is really a overpriced pos. It looks real good but sucks in hot air. Also the black mounting plate completely rusted on me within a year. My car only sees nice weather and only has 41xxxkm still so not sure why it would of. I had to sand it down with 80 grit all the way to get rid of the rust and even then it was pitted around the bolt holes. For the price I paid I would expect a lot more. So it not lining up wasn't exactly on my worry about list . Also ever had any clearance issues or anything like that.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look into the 85MM MAF and combine the IAT into the harness. That way you don't have to stretch the wires to the end of the length.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by simonriddick
That silver ws6 with the stb is mine. I really don't post on here but noticed the pic on google images.

The K&N setup cost me close to $500 and is really a overpriced pos. It looks real good but sucks in hot air. Also the black mounting plate completely rusted on me within a year. My car only sees nice weather and only has 41xxxkm still so not sure why it would of. I had to sand it down with 80 grit all the way to get rid of the rust and even then it was pitted around the bolt holes. For the price I paid I would expect a lot more. So it not lining up wasn't exactly on my worry about list . Also ever had any clearance issues or anything like that.
My car came with the fipk on and I've had the same issue with the rusting. I'm gonna sand it down and paint it soon. I cut a slot in it under the filter and installed a Ssra. No results at all yet as its snowing here but should help out some. I'd like to make a heat shroud for it to stop it from sucking hot air from the motor. No time tho.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
12 Second Club

I got rid of my FIPK as soon as I could. It looked like crap. I went back to a stock setup with a lid. Only reason it was on the car is it came with it when I bought it. I hated that thing.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aaronware76
My car came with the fipk on and I've had the same issue with the rusting. I'm gonna sand it down and paint it soon. I cut a slot in it under the filter and installed a Ssra. No results at all yet as its snowing here but should help out some. I'd like to make a heat shroud for it to stop it from sucking hot air from the motor. No time tho.
I always liked the way it looked but I can see why a lid could be better. I actually did have a SLP lid but it didn't seal up right on the factory plastic so that drove me nuts. I also had a **** of a time getting the plastic plug to fit.

So far there's been no rust returning. But I used 2 coats of Krylon rust though flat black paint and that stuff is exactly that. I used it on my winter beater camaro drum brakes and they still look good after 2 winters.

Quick Reply: What happened to K&N???