Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to K&N???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to K&N???

K&N used to be such a good company with quality, innovative products. Now it seems to be just cheaply made garbage, and horrible customer service.

Anyway, here's my recent experience with K&N, and a review of the 57-3022-2;

I recently installed a FIPK2 intake that my kid bought (against my recommendation), and the first problem we had was the IAT sensor wires were too short to reach the new location for the sensor. I googled it and apparently K&N provides an extension with some of their kits, so I called K&N customer service, and they began by telling me that we installed the product wrong. After assuring them that all their excuses on their "official excuse list" didn't apply, they told me I should take my wiring harness apart, all the way to the ECU, and pull as much slack as I could, then the wires should reach......SERIOUSLY???? After a little more discussion, the customer service guy handed the phone to Vincent Pistonetti, because he supposedly knew something about the product. He was clueless though, and could only say "We've sold literally thousands of these things, and this is the first we heard of this."<<<I'll come back to this in a second. After listening to Mr. Pistonetti read the same excuses that the first guy read off, I agreed to email him some pics of our installation, showing what the problems were.

The next thing I noticed was that the "heat shield" (which doesn't really shield anything, least of all engine bay heat) was manufactured with the filter-mounting-tab off-center, which made the filter sit crooked, it looked goofy, and contributed in part, to the IAT wire situation. I sent pictures which detailed our installation, and an explanation of the issue to Mr. Pistonetti, showing him the crooked filter. He replied with; ~"Our engineer says your filter is crooked.".... ..."You must have installed the heat shield wrong." I replied with more pics of other cars I found on the internet with exactly the same issues. All these customers must have done it wrong...? No reply.

Okay, so as crappy as the thing looks and as tight as the IAT wires are stretched, driving the car, there is absolutely zero noticeable difference in performance. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the IAT sensor eventually works it's way out of the grommet, allowing unfiltered air into the engine.

Looks- ZERO
Performance- ZERO
Customer Service- ZERO
Value- ZERO
$300.00+ down the toilet.

I find it hard to believe that this is really the first they've heard of this...? Noone but me cares, or has noticed, that this overpriced filter sits crooked in the engine bay, and the IAT wires are stretched like a guitar string? At least one of the cars in these pics has the IAT sensor barely in the grommet, obviously not fully seated. If anyone else has one of these intakes, and is not too ashamed to admit it, I'd like to hear about how yours worked out for you.
By the way, if you leave feedback on K&N’s website, anything under 4 stars apparently gets deleted.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

i have never noticed this.......i will go check mine out
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Launching!

same issues with this kit on a 01 z28 I used to own, it came on the car. wasn't a fan of it

photo upload
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Launching!

K&N has always been about marketing a gimmicky product. To their credit, they've made a lot of money from it.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

My buddy's GTO had the K&N CAI on it when he bought it and he had nothing but problems with it and clearance issues.. He ditched it.

As far as my VW goes, the Euro crowd does not condone the purchase of the "typhoon" CAI either... (I got a Eurojet for mine)

I had a K&N CAI on my Colorado and all it did was make noise and the truck sounded like VEEEETAAAAK...... No power gain at all. Only reason I got it was A: no one makes parts for that POS truck (wonder why.) and B: I got it off ebay for $80.

The LS K&N kit we see, apparently only makes power on the dyno with the hood up.. When the hood is down, it just sucks in hot engine compartment air........ But it looks cool. I wanted one for a while, but found out the stock setup (Different lid) is actually the best setup.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should ask for a refund, they cant just sell you an item that doesnt directly fit on your car! I have always used Volant Col Air Intakes and I havent had any single problem with their products what so ever. I have never heard of K&N products having issues like this, hopefully its only a one product thing because they are wasting peoples times and money lol
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

K&N and holly are now in the same category... sad day.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Most of these things are at best just marginally better than the stock air box. Certainly not worth the money.

I like the SLP style box, no noise reducing baffles, it looks neat and toss-away air filters flow at least as good as an oil impregnated one-without coating the MAF with crud.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 11-03-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine seems to be straight.......if it was off you could always slot the mounting holes
Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

cutting a slot in it really gave me a BOOST in my SOTP dyno
Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem, I'm thinking about trying a different set-up. sjsingle1 thast a good idea i never thought of that.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joker_01z28
same issues with this kit on a 01 z28 I used to own, it came on the car. wasn't a fan of it
Wow, that one's really cockeyed.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cranny
K&N has always been about marketing a gimmicky product. To their credit, they've made a lot of money from it.
Well 20 or so years ago, they at least seemed to care about the product they were putting out. I guess it's typical of a company that becomes a money making machine, to eventually cut back on quality.
Teching In

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
My buddy's GTO had the K&N CAI on it when he bought it and he had nothing but problems with it and clearance issues.. He ditched it.

As far as my VW goes, the Euro crowd does not condone the purchase of the "typhoon" CAI either... (I got a Eurojet for mine)

I had a K&N CAI on my Colorado and all it did was make noise and the truck sounded like VEEEETAAAAK...... No power gain at all. Only reason I got it was A: no one makes parts for that POS truck (wonder why.) and B: I got it off ebay for $80.

The LS K&N kit we see, apparently only makes power on the dyno with the hood up.. When the hood is down, it just sucks in hot engine compartment air........ But it looks cool. I wanted one for a while, but found out the stock setup (Different lid) is actually the best setup.
Yeah the stock box with a lid is definitely the way to go......VW???
Cool avatar BTW.
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Should ask for a refund, they cant just sell you an item that doesnt directly fit on your car! I have always used Volant Col Air Intakes and I havent had any single problem with their products what so ever. I have never heard of K&N products having issues like this, hopefully its only a one product thing because they are wasting peoples times and money lol
The more I google, the more negative stuff I read. Oh well, I guess that's enough googling.
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
K&N and holly are now in the same category... sad day.
Tell me about it. Holley still has their old standbys, like the dominator carbs for example, but sometimes it seems like they produce some products just for the sake of producing products.
Teching In

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Most of these things are at best just marginally better than the stock air box. Certainly not worth the money.

I like the SLP style box, no noise reducing baffles, it looks neat and toss-away air filters flow at least as good as an oil impregnated one-without coating the MAF with crud.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1

mine seems to be straight.......if it was off you could always slot the mounting holes
Pretty sure your filter mounting tab is off center also. If your hood latch, or front bumper screws were in the pic you'd see the tab is off to the left of center (as is that wiring harness retaining clip shown directly below the tab in your pic). At least you got your filter to sit straight.

Yeah I thought about slotting the holes at first, but slotting the heatshield to core support holes wouldn't help because the holes for the rubber radiator mounts in the heat shield have to line up with the ridges on the radiator tanks no matter what. Slotting the hole for the filter mounting tab would put the hole half on the tab and half off......idunno, am I being too picky? Seems like it should just work right out of the box for the money.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
cutting a slot in it really gave me a BOOST in my SOTP dyno
Can't argue with the SOTP dyno.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by old93camaro
i had the same problem, I'm thinking about trying a different set-up. sjsingle1 thast a good idea i never thought of that.
Like Paul Bell & Bayer-z28 said, I think the slp style box is the way to go, and they're pretty clean looking too.

Quick Reply: What happened to K&N???