Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam vent tube alternative for an LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

My hypothesis is that yes, a stock CAR (not just motor) should be fine with the rear ports blocked. But when you start introducing suspension changes, tire size changes, fuel system/lambda changes.... The gm engineers didn't have to account for that when they decided that blocking the rear ports was acceptable.

Let's face it, it's possible there is more than one culprit to #7 cylinder failures. Why not play it safe and run rear steam tubes? How long does it take to take off the intake? How much is $50 in steam tubes worth to you compared to a short block?

Guys, install rear tubes. Forget about them. Know that when your #7 cylinder burns up, it WASN'T due to an air pocket in the back of your head.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 68wagon
So... if a motor was BONE STOCK as in no parts swaps, straight out of the donor vehicle, i'm assuming it would be ok to run the block off on all 4 corners??
Bad assumption.

Originally Posted by themealonwheels

Let's face it, it's possible there is more than one culprit to #7 cylinder failures. Why not play it safe and run rear steam tubes? How long does it take to take off the intake? How much is $50 in steam tubes worth to you compared to a short block?

Guys, install rear tubes. Forget about them. Know that when your #7 cylinder burns up, it WASN'T due to an air pocket in the back of your head.
Well said.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

block off all 4 steam ports and let us know how it goes for you
Old 11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
It is not as clear cut as your question...

the problem is not when your engine makes killer power... the problem arises when operating in the boundary conditions... and this is compounded by various things like PE fueling being not sufficiently rich and cooling system being in other than good condition

(you will not know about these conditions unless you constantly monitor lambda/egt sensors and view thermal spectrographs).

[ do you ever remember seeing the external steam hose mods on SBC/BBC...? ]

As you can see from other posts above there are aftermarket solutions.
There is? Not home made product...Aftermarket solutions specically for the rear ports.

No steam hose I know of on SBC/BBC
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Google Kurt Urban Performance (which was mentioned above).
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badazz81z28

The corners of the heads would be tapped and NPT fittings installed so braided hoses could be run from rear to front of heads (or to TS location on front of intake manifold).
Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if this steam was such an issue, they didn't design the LS6 intake to allow the old rear tubes to run under it. Also FAST intakes.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol, they also designed/installed the worst PCV system and the 10 bolt live axle.

Last edited by joecar; 11-20-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joecar
lol, they also designed/install the worst PCV system and the 10 bolt live axle.
Bring on the new LT1!!

I haven't even fired up the new LS1 yet, and I'm already sick of it!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Ba81z, why so angry? The ls6 intake design didn't likely happen without some understood sacrifices from the ls1 intake... Aka steam tubes. But seriously, why are you so opposed to improving on a design? It's almost like you've decided the gm design is infallible... Is the exhaust manifold also the best design?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Ba81z, why so angry? The ls6 intake design didn't likely happen without some understood sacrifices from the ls1 intake... Aka steam tubes. But seriously, why are you so opposed to improving on a design? It's almost like you've decided the gm design is infallible... Is the exhaust manifold also the best design?
This engine is just nickel and dime-ing me to death. I'm just blowing off steam
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting....I'm doing a LS1 swap and thought I can just block off these steam ports and it was fine. On my stock 300zx motor coolant lines were ran under the TBs as well to warm the incoming air in freezing conditions...area became prone to leaking and almost everyone deletes it as its not needed....so yes it is possible that GM over engineered something....

Maybe we can ask a GM tech or expert what the system is actually for?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snyousef
Interesting....I'm doing a LS1 swap and thought I can just block off these steam ports and it was fine. On my stock 300zx motor coolant lines were ran under the TBs as well to warm the incoming air in freezing conditions...area became prone to leaking and almost everyone deletes it as its not needed....so yes it is possible that GM over engineered something....

Maybe we can ask a GM tech or expert what the system is actually for?
I don't think you would find one of those guys....Best bet would be a GM tech who thinks they know what the engineers were thinking.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is? Not home made product...Aftermarket solutions specically for the rear ports.

Kurt urban makes one, as already mentioned.

Also, many older small blocks have been drilled and tapped to bring water up to the front. The tbi engines and newer take water from that area of intake, and cross under the intake to the front.

The older engines without this water passage cast into the intake can and are modified to bring water from the back of The head to the front thru tubing and fittings, much like the stock 97-00 ls1's.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look carefully at this pic (that I borrowed):

Name:  DomiatorCarb008.jpg
Views: 13368
Size:  167.0 KB

people have been doing this since the 60's.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,554 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
Kurt urban makes one, as already mentioned.

Also, many older small blocks have been drilled and tapped to bring water up to the front. The tbi engines and newer take water from that area of intake, and cross under the intake to the front.

The older engines without this water passage cast into the intake can and are modified to bring water from the back of The head to the front thru tubing and fittings, much like the stock 97-00 ls1's.
And trust me, all this pipe work to move water from the front to rear, or vise versa, was doing absolutely no good.
I've drilled and tapped more than my fair share of water pumps and cylinder heads, in an effort to send pressurized "cooler" coolant to the troublesome hot spots on the sbc heads between 3&5 and 4&6. This proved effective in cooling our engines down.
Here's the deal. No one can tell you or me the cooling schematics in the heads. I worked in a shop that built cup engines, as I mentioned in my build thread, and we studied this subject endlessly, with no answers.
The purpose of the crossover tube is for steam. You have to get it out, if you want your cooling system to operate correctly, and efficiently. I personally feel that putting a rear steam exit out back is a good idea, if you have room.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Che70velle
And trust me, all this pipe work to move water from the front to rear, or vise versa, was doing absolutely no good.
I've drilled and tapped more than my fair share of water pumps and cylinder heads, in an effort to send pressurized "cooler" coolant to the troublesome hot spots on the sbc heads between 3&5 and 4&6. This proved effective in cooling our engines down.
Here's the deal. No one can tell you or me the cooling schematics in the heads. I worked in a shop that built cup engines, as I mentioned in my build thread, and we studied this subject endlessly, with no answers.
The purpose of the crossover tube is for steam. You have to get it out, if you want your cooling system to operate correctly, and efficiently. I personally feel that putting a rear steam exit out back is a good idea, if you have room.
I don't think anyone is debating they are for steam...and removing it is a good thing. But notice that you cannot move steam in the cooling system unless the water behind it is pushing it out. Therefore you have to move the water as well.

I believe the point of the coolant cross over on the bottom of the tbi intakes was an effort to warm the incoming air in freezing conditions, since the exhaust cross over was eliminated.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you would find one of those guys....Best bet would be a GM tech who thinks they know what the engineers were thinking.
Yea you're right...maybe a description from GM would help...
Old 11-23-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

went overboard on mine, i dig it though

Name:  IMG_2405.jpg
Views: 24789
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2403.jpg
Views: 15973
Size:  104.9 KB
Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
went overboard on mine, i dig it though

That's really clean man. How much did all that run you?

Quick Reply: Steam vent tube alternative for an LS motor