Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My true dual set-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Looks good so far , was wondering why they ran pipe all the out the back if your going to run the resonators. Did you drive it home or did they keep overnight? Can you post up better pics of the intermediate pipes, collector to the X pipe.
Because I do not have the tips I want yet and instead of installing resonators now and chopping up pipe for tips, he said to wait and weld tips to resonators and then install. this will give a cleaner look.

All I have is an iphone for video. I am trying to find a better camera for sound quality. I will post before resonators and after so everyone gets to hear the difference.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Looks good so far , was wondering why they ran pipe all the out the back if your going to run the resonators. Did you drive it home or did they keep overnight? Can you post up better pics of the intermediate pipes, collector to the X pipe.
Originally Posted by FBGSU02
Because I do not have the tips I want yet and instead of installing resonators now and chopping up pipe for tips, he said to wait and weld tips to resonators and then install. this will give a cleaner look.

All I have is an iphone for video. I am trying to find a better camera for sound quality. I will post before resonators and after so everyone gets to hear the difference.
So you drove it home, sound clips can be distorted, more interested in your opinion of the sound difference. And better pics of intermediate pipes are a must !
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. Lets hear it!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I drove it home the pipes are ran out the back. I ordered tips today so resonators will be on this weekend. I recorded on my iphone but did not sound anything like it does in person. I will try to find a better camera.

My personal take: Car has a different tone, much deeper ,smoother tone. Rasp is gone and throttle response has increased. At WOT it sounds amazing! I can not describe the deep roar and just bad *** growl. I cant imagine what it will sound like with resonators.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea def wanna hear it, looks like a good setup man!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

I wanna hear it to compare to my setup.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I drove it home the pipes are ran out the back. I ordered tips today so resonators will be on this weekend. I recorded on my iphone but did not sound anything like it does in person. I will try to find a better camera.

My personal take: Car has a different tone, much deeper ,smoother tone. Rasp is gone and throttle response has increased. At WOT it sounds amazing! I can not describe the deep roar and just bad *** growl. I cant imagine what it will sound like with resonators.
Glad you got to drive it , thats the real test. Just revving it up in park is no substitute for the way it will sound on the road though the whole rpm range. Sounds like your very happy with their work and thats what counts. As Ive said before its not easy to find an exhaust shop that has the skill and desire to do this kind of work, so hold on to them and spread the word.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

What panhard bar items did you purchase from Founders Performance? I see the Panhard Rod Relocation Kit, but what other panhard bar do you have?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Panhard rod that has the turnbuckle style on car adjustment. It is $72.65

http://www.foundersperformance.com/p...-Bushings.html
Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Looks nice. i want to do dual exhaust on my 98 ss too.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet project man. I will be waiting for a sound byte. I really want TDs for my T/A
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In for sound! Awesome job they did! Going to search for someone near me that can make this.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay its all done. It took some persuasion but it all on.

Sound clip will be up today. Car feels like it has more torque throughout the RPM's.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Those tips looks fantastic on TA's. Great looking setup.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay its all done. It took some persuasion but it all on.

Sound clip will be up today. Car feels like it has more torque throughout the RPM's.
Those tips look great on a T/A, still would like to see better pics of the intermediate pipes , collector to the X pipe. Guess thats not going to happen.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Corsa Clones FTW!!

Dual 3.5" outlet or 4"?

Looks great OP! Awesome job!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

OMC will crawl under there and take better pictures not a problem.

Thanks for the complements they are 4". They were a pain to get even due to the off-set tips and the angle the pipe was coming back.

The tone of the car is beyond expectations. I love going through the gears to hear the deep/ smooth tone. The exhaust is not obnoxious cruising but at WOT it really wakes up. Sound clip will be up later.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMC will crawl under there and take better pictures not a problem.

Thanks for the complements they are 4". They were a pain to get even due to the off-set tips and the angle the pipe was coming back.

The tone of the car is beyond expectations. I love going through the gears to hear the deep/ smooth tone. The exhaust is not obnoxious cruising but at WOT it really wakes up. Sound clip will be up later.
Just wondered what you had to persuade "Okay its all done. It took some persuasion but it all on." As far as the sound thats the way mine is nice and low deep down low , but at 3 grand it really comes to life no rasp no drone. Dual tips take a little more time because you have to level them up , don't want them cocked. Hoping that you got those pics while you had it up on the lift , that is really the only way to get a good shot.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

What I mean by persuasion is we had to cut the lip off the tips and resonators and butt together and weld. The pipes coming over axle can only be turned so much and wanted tips to be straight since they are offset and suppose to follow the curve of the bumper. So on the drivers side was more difficult because the trunk only allows so much room BUT the angle of pipe coming out had to be the same as the passenger side so tips would match. Initially the drivers side most inner tip was NOT sticking out enough to match the other side (did not follow bumper lines as compared to passenger side). So we had to angle the pipe on drivers side at an outward angle to match the passenger side and also fight with clearance around trunk to prevent rattling. The guy tweaked both sides until near perfect. Yes it will be on lift, I will have my wife whom is a photographer take pics with her camera. I will take multiple shots of everything. I can even measure clearance numbers if you want.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I mean by persuasion is we had to cut the lip off the tips and resonators and butt together and weld. The pipes coming over axle can only be turned so much and wanted tips to be straight since they are offset and suppose to follow the curve of the bumper. So on the drivers side was more difficult because the trunk only allows so much room BUT the angle of pipe coming out had to be the same as the passenger side so tips would match. Initially the drivers side most inner tip was NOT sticking out enough to match the other side (did not follow bumper lines as compared to passenger side). So we had to angle the pipe on drivers side at an outward angle to match the passenger side and also fight with clearance around trunk to prevent rattling. The guy tweaked both sides until near perfect. Yes it will be on lift, I will have my wife whom is a photographer take pics with her camera. I will take multiple shots of everything. I can even measure clearance numbers if you want.
Yes I do remember the driver side to be a bit tighter , if IIRC I think its only 8" to 8 1/2 inches wide thor there a little more with on the passenger side. A 9 1/2 width case will not fit. So its probably a good thing that you waited to put the resonators on til you got the tips. If yours is high and tight and anything like mine your lowest clearance will be coming off your driver side header collector, that intermediate pipe.

Quick Reply: My true dual set-up