Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual Advice/Input

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual Advice/Input

So my current setup is:

(Pacesetter Lt's, 3 ORY wo Cats, 3' DMH Electric Cutout w Crapmaster CB)

I am looking to go True Duals real soon and was wondering what the best setup is as far as: (Best Sound, Best HP Gains) Overall what is the best in your guys opinions? I am all ready changing my exhaust setup twice I really do not want to have to do it a third time.

This car will soon have a D1SC on her so something less restrictive is beneficial.

I have seen TSP true dual setup but it is only a 2.5' x pipe, I was leaning something more like 3'.

I heard that sometimes switching to a true dual setup actually quiets the car down somewhat. I still would like it pretty loud, however obviously one reason I'm changing is so I lose rasp with my current setup. I dont mind some rasp, just not what I'm facing now.

Would it be better/cheaper if I built the true dual setup myself? What are some good parts? Or should I just go with TSP?

Your input is appreciated.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can never go wrong with a True Dual with X pipe well done setup, it has a great sound to it and you benefit more HP I know Kooks makes a great True Dual set up for F-Bodies, they sound great! TSP isnt too loud, I actually think its a perfect setup
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
You can never go wrong with a True Dual with X pipe well done setup, it has a great sound to it and you benefit more HP I know Kooks makes a great True Dual set up for F-Bodies, they sound great! TSP isnt too loud, I actually think its a perfect setup
Thats what I'm saying!

So Kooks has got a good one too huh? I must do some research.

What is the big difference from going 2.5' vs. 3' ? Is there a serious sound / hp difference between the two?

Thanks man!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP is 3"
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

had my true dual setup on my ls1 240sx custom built, using 3" stainless pipe and mandrel bends, cost me 1,200 running pipes out the back includs buying off road x pipe, tips, and Borla xr-1 chambered mufflers still a flow throgh just way bigger than the bullet mufflers.

dont know what a true dual setup cost for a f-body just thought I'd give you a idea what a custom exhaust would cost, might have been alot cheaper if stainless and mandrel bent tubing wasn't used, but at least I don;t have to worry about the exhaust again.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

true duals dumped cost me about 250$ minus the parts
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the TSP set-up and be done with it; Unfortunately, someone has given you bunk information. The TSP set-up is 3" throughout.

I can assure you, it sounds ******* phenomenal to boot.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
TSP is 3"
Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
had my true dual setup on my ls1 240sx custom built, using 3" stainless pipe and mandrel bends, cost me 1,200 running pipes out the back includs buying off road x pipe, tips, and Borla xr-1 chambered mufflers still a flow throgh just way bigger than the bullet mufflers.

dont know what a true dual setup cost for a f-body just thought I'd give you a idea what a custom exhaust would cost, might have been alot cheaper if stainless and mandrel bent tubing wasn't used, but at least I don;t have to worry about the exhaust again.
Originally Posted by Sladester2
true duals dumped cost me about 250$ minus the parts
Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Get the TSP set-up and be done with it; Unfortunately, someone has given you bunk information. The TSP set-up is 3" throughout.

I can assure you, it sounds ******* phenomenal to boot.
I should of said, I am planning on just dumping it before the rear axles.

Yeah I was given bad info, so the TSP X pipe is 3' or just the piping? Are the mufflers that TSP supplies with the their kit pretty good ?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
The Scammer Hammer

It's all 3" and well constructed. The spiral flows suck, the bullets have no "tone" so to speak. I'm rocking the Sweet Thunders for the time being, but the ID from the perforations makes it 2.5". At my level, I think there's a few ponies to be had from swapping mufflers, which is coming here soon.

Sweet Thunders sound the best, IMHO. Here's a quick video to give you an idea with heads / cam

Last edited by dr_whigham; 12-22-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all 3" and well constructed. The spiral flows suck, the bullets have no "tone" so to speak. I'm rocking the Sweet Thunders for the time being, but the ID from the perforations makes it 2.5". At my level, I think there's a few ponies to be had from swapping mufflers, which is coming here soon.

Sweet Thunders sound the best, IMHO. Here's a quick video to give you an idea with heads / cam

http://youtu.be/5DWLWiLrjQU
Sounds damn good!!

What is this spiral flow?

So they include the bullets with the kit ? Can I substitute them for something else? If you could change it up, the Sweet Thunders, what mufflers would you go with?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I'll wind up going with a pair of Magnaflow 14419's, but be advised they are a 4" case. I don't have an issue beating and cutting on my car though to get them to tuck.

Yes, you can choose the mufflers when you order the kit. They very well may not offer the Moroso Spiral Flows anymore.... But I'd go with the Sweet Thunders myself. They sound great!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll wind up going with a pair of Magnaflow 14419's, but be advised they are a 4" case. I don't have an issue beating and cutting on my car though to get them to tuck.

Yes, you can choose the mufflers when you order the kit. They very well may not offer the Moroso Spiral Flows anymore.... But I'd go with the Sweet Thunders myself. They sound great!
Nice, 4' would be sweet! I've got some research to do, Since Sweet Thunders are 2.5' is there a prob fitting 3' mufflers under there?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

TSP duals with bullets dumped!!!! No other catback compares!!

The sound put a smile on my face every day..
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TSP True Duals with Bullets Dumped.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds sick!^
Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 AM

Get the TSP set-up and be done with it; Unfortunately, someone has given you bunk information.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My tsp duals are 3inch,with sweetthunders,they sound killer and flow great,but having them dumped is beyond loud,im working on running them to the back into a cme to cut some of the noise down,i love them though,pulls way better than it did with my y pipe setup,
Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Captain Double Post

Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Captain Double Post

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Kooks true duals. Had some fittment issues thaat caused alot of stress. If I had not had a lift I could not have installed them. The instructions where very minimalistic and lacked detail. I have Kooks 1-7/8 headers that were a real B**** to get in. Haven't had a chance to hear them yet, still working on the car.

Quick Reply: True Dual Advice/Input