Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture of my spark plugs and question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of my spark plugs and question

So took my plugs out bc i'm doing headers and true duals... and i'm buying the msg/ngk plugs kit for a fresher setup. Do these plugs look ok? I don't really know much about how they should look when the car is healthy but it looks like one side has more scum on it then the other. Any help to a spark plug noob would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Picture of my spark plugs and question-finaloutput.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

How many miles on the car? Whats all done to it mods details? Hows the car run now? To me those plugs look like theres alot of carbon on the electrode possibly oil burning valve guides/blow by and or rich.... however with old plugs its not really accurate to read them.. the correct way would be fresh plugs and make a 1/4 pass shut it down at wot and then pull them and take a look. A good plug will read coffee brown on the porcelain.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Also taking a second look u could be running lean by the color of the porcelain. Someone else might jump in with there thoughts as well. But like I said earlyer a fresh set is the proper way to get a good read on how your running.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Teching In

The tip of the plug is all you really need to worry about, and they all look similar.

The yellow discoloration on some of the plugs in no way hinders the performance of the plug.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skidooingit
How many miles on the car? Whats all done to it mods details? Hows the car run now? To me those plugs look like theres alot of carbon on the electrode possibly oil burning valve guides/blow by and or rich.... however with old plugs its not really accurate to read them.. the correct way would be fresh plugs and make a 1/4 pass shut it down at wot and then pull them and take a look. A good plug will read coffee brown on the porcelain.
Got new TR 55 plugs with msd wires today. Only mods to the car are lt kooks & kooks td's. Once I put the kooks exhaust on this week I will do a test on the new plugs. They are at least a year or 2 old.

So they seem to look pretty good at the tips as well I did notice that, there not covered in oil like I have seen some look nasty.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Any update on the car?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skidooingit
Any update on the car?
Yeah, got the td's installed, new plugs and new msd wires. Runs so smooth and sounds like a real V8 what a difference! Hopefully in a few months i can take it to the track and get some real videos.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Nice good to hear shes firing on all 8... I cant wait to get mine back on the road and hit the track for some numbers... weather in the midwest sux.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

me too. i took it out for a few days and washed the hell out of it. i took it out after a week of rain bc i was dieing to hear and feel the difference with my new exhaust i put in... amazing!

Quick Reply: Picture of my spark plugs and question