Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 dead cylinders after HCI swap..Ideas? (Thanks TEXAS SPEED)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so you blamed texas speed, for a problem that resulted from improper install on your behalf because you didnt take the time to double check measurements and clearances?

I think you are pointing blame at the wrong place....
you should be blaming yourself, not TSP

Props to them for being nice enough to help you out, but they technically didnt have to do anything for you.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
so you blamed texas speed, for a problem that resulted from improper install on your behalf because you didnt take the time to double check measurements and clearances?

I think you are pointing blame at the wrong place....
you should be blaming yourself, not TSP

Props to them for being nice enough to help you out, but they technically didnt have to do anything for you.
What???

Texas speed sold me lifters.Two lifters colapsed after 4-8 minutes of runtime which caused me to sling two pushrods and wedge them in between my rocker arms and the side of my head. Also causing me to bend two pushrods, and gouging my two brand new roller rockers. Also causing me to pull the head off, Me buying another head gasket, new head bolts ect to finish the install after the new parts arrvied.

Everything was done by the book! And I posted up pictures of my swipe pattern to prove that!

I changed the two lifters out and the car has been fine since!

I am appreciative of texas speed doing what they did. The way they treated me how they handled the situation will result in continued business from me.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by old93camaro
Swipe pattern has to do with the spacers that the YT come with but the pushrod length has a little to do with it, I'm just wanted to know how was this Texas speed fought if you don't mine me asking?
The washers that come with the roller rockers are for adjusting lifter preload. Pushrod length also can come into play when dealing with lifter preload obviously. Pushrod length has EVERYTHING to do with swipe pattern.

Anytime you are changing rocker arm height with shims or changing pushrod length it will affect swipe pattern. Generally when trying to obtain an acceptable swipe pattern the only thing that is changed IS pushrod length....

Texas speed did not make the lifters, So it's not their fault. But I purchased a product from them that failed in minutes. When I buy something I expect it to work. Just like you do.

Texas speed did not tecnically HAVE to do anything. But they chose to, and appoligized for the issues I had been having. And I am gratefull for that. Because of their decision I will continue doing business with them.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Teching In

oh yea i hope you used some kind of RTV on those rocker bolt holes as well if not they will back out on you
RTV is generally used as a sealant. Not used to hold bolts down in place of loc-tite. I generally don't like using rtv inside of the engine due to the possibility of some getting dislodged and possibly plugging an oil passage.

That being said, I did use loc-tite for the purpose of holding the bolts in and sealing the rocker arm bolts that are tapped into the intake port on the prc heads.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 PM
8 Second Club

Pushrod length does not effect swipe pattern...
it only effects preload

the only time a pushrod can effect swipe pattern is if the lifter has bottomed out.

Rocker Shims effect swipe

what is your measured preload?
or how many turns of the rocker bolt from zero lash to 22ftlbs

LS7 lifters(GM part # 12576400) were not made for a heavy valvetrain....people like to throw them in because they are used on an LS7 engine...but they forget that the LS7 has a lighter valvetrain...
and YT rockers are not light, and your valves are not light

also, the ls7 lifter has a max lifter travel of .125
and you want a lifter preload in the .020~.060 with an aftermarket cam

when you dont have adjustable rockers...the thread pitch and rocker ratio will dictate how much preload is applied per one turn of the rocker bolt....
which happens to be .078 on an LSx head.....(both by the math, and by measuring with a micrometer)

Last edited by soundengineer; 01-04-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

science.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Pushrod length does not effect swipe pattern...
it only effects preload

the only time a pushrod can effect swipe pattern is if the lifter has bottomed out.

Rocker Shims effect swipe

what is your measured preload?
or how many turns of the rocker bolt from zero lash to 22ftlbs

LS7 lifters(GM part # 12576400) were not made for a heavy valvetrain....people like to throw them in because they are used on an LS7 engine...but they forget that the LS7 has a lighter valvetrain...
and YT rockers are not light, and your valves are not light

also, the ls7 lifter has a max lifter travel of .125
and you want a lifter preload in the .020~.060 with an aftermarket cam

when you dont have adjustable rockers...the thread pitch and rocker ratio will dictate how much preload is applied per one turn of the rocker bolt....
which happens to be .078 on an LSx head.....(both by the math, and by measuring with a micrometer)
Right, or on a solid roller lifter. I had about 180* on the rocker bolts from zero pushrod lash without the use of shims if I remember correctly. Which should put me in the .040 range. This was acceptable according to comp and to me especially considering this is a hydraulic roller setup.

Not sure who makes these lifters but they are definitely not a gm part nor do they match the gm part number you provided or the ones I obtained from the delership. The pushrod cup depth on the ones from Texas speed were different from a dealer obtained ls7 lifter and also different from a stock ls1 lifter.

Last edited by TDCRacing; 01-04-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDCRacing
Right, or on a solid roller lifter. I had about 180* from zero lash on the rocker bolts without the use of shims.

Not sure who makes these lifters but they are definitely not a gm part nor do they match the gm part number you provided or the ones I obtained from the delership. The pushrod cup depth on the ones from Texas speed were different from a dealer obtained ls7 lifter and also different from a stock ls1 lifter.

so what part # did you get from the dealership

and can you post pictures of the lifters that failed?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Teching In

so what part # did you get from the dealership

and can you post pictures of the lifters that failed?
The dealer obtained ls7 lifter ( which was the only place ls7 lifters were available that I could find) I got matched your part number. I ended up not being able to use them when I was trying to find a replacement for my two that collapsed due to the difference in the pushrod cup depth between the lifters that tsp sold me and the original ls7 lifter. There was only one part number that was available for a ls7 lifter from the dealership.

I do not have the collapsed lifters anymore. But do have a replacement lifter that is not collapsed that tsp sent me that I can take a picture of. It's the same exact type that collapsed.

There was a wear indication on the SIDE of the pushrod cup on the two collapsed lifters, telling me th pushrod had lots of negative preload due to the collapsed lifter to make that happen before they slung out.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

TDCRACING I think you have a wear indication on the SIDE of the pushrod cup on the two collapsed lifters because the pushrods were jumping around in the cup from being to short. hast why i asked you could you jiggle the rocker on any rocker that was bolted. I'm glad you find the problem and your car is working.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Teching In

TDCRACING I think you have a wear indication on the SIDE of the pushrod cup on the two collapsed lifters because the pushrods were jumping around in the cup from being to short. hast why i asked you could you jiggle the rocker on any rocker that was bolted. I'm glad you find the problem and your car is working.
Nope. Lifter preload is right around .040 and at the base of the cam lobe (Valve fully closed) there is definetly preload on the lifter and there is no movement of the rocker arm possible.

The gouge marks on the lifter cup originates from when the lifter failed and smacked the side of the lifter cup before wedging them in between the rocker arm and the cylinder head.

If you notice the picture that was posted up after I took the the damaged rocker arm. Notice the swipe pattern on the valve tip. It looks identical to the other cylinders with no issues.

That tells me that there was no issue untill a certain point. Plus the car ran fine. Nothing was changed except damaged parts and the car runs like it should. No issues. Been running fine for a cupple days and miles and miles of drive time.

A colapsed lifter was my issue. No doubt in my mind. Again everything on the motor was setup by the book. I even checked PTV clearance after being reasured that I would have to issues simply because I wanted to do things wright.

Quick Reply: 2 dead cylinders after HCI swap..Ideas? (Thanks TEXAS SPEED)