Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works Chambered vs SLP Powerflo vs Mufflex 4"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Stainless Works Chambered vs SLP Powerflo vs Mufflex 4"

help me pick out my next exhaust.......i've had several different setups for my SS, but here lately the Stainless Works Chambered has caught my eye......i know that chambered mufflers have a smaller internal pipe, this is what led me to sale my TSP true duals with Sweet Thunders (since they necked down to 2.25 inside, and i had to go back to cats for emissions)......i regret that move since the Sweet Thunders sounded the best by far.....my question is what size is the internal pipe in the chambered mufflers that come with the SW catback.....the i-pipe muffler is 3.5 on the outside, the two rears are 3" outside diameter

if the SW is restrictive, then it's a toss up between the SLP Powerflo or the Mufflex 4" catback.......any rasp with the Mufflex setups?.......of the mufflers that they offer, which is the quietest?

Last edited by jc98ss; 01-07-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No rasp with the Mufflex at all.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mufflex with 4' straight Magnaflow

I have the above on my TA. Here is a link to a sound clip on You tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyt1kqF219s

Nice mellow tone while cruising, yet a lil raspy on accel and WOT. Tho, the TA is not stock cubes. Stock cubes may be quieter.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went 4" on my bolt on car. Feels alot chunkier downlow and in the midrange.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
help me pick out my next exhaust.......i've had several different setups for my SS, but here lately the Stainless Works Chambered has caught my eye......i know that chambered mufflers have a smaller internal pipe, this is what led me to sale my TSP true duals with Sweet Thunders (since they necked down to 2.25 inside, and i had to go back to cats for emissions)......i regret that move since the Sweet Thunders sounded the best by far.....my question is what size is the internal pipe in the chambered mufflers that come with the SW catback.....the i-pipe muffler is 3.5 on the outside, the two rears are 3" outside diameter

if the SW is restrictive, then it's a toss up between the SLP Powerflo or the Mufflex 4" catback.......any rasp with the Mufflex setups?.......of the mufflers that they offer, which is the quietest?

How much power are you making?

The tube going into our system is 3.5". It then splits into a few core chambers but we maintain a minimum of 3.5" inside those chambers.

Outlet is dual 3"

Give me a call and we can figure out options,
-Jason
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by davidws6

Nice mellow tone while cruising, yet a lil raspy on accel and WOT. Tho, the TA is not stock cubes. Stock cubes may be quieter.
your car sounds AWESOME!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidws6

sounds badass man.....i was leaning towards the Magnaflow if i go with the Mufflex.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the 3.5 mufflex with magnaflow. I like the sound, it pretty darn quite at idle and when you get on it, it screams. I had a cutout on the car before, its darn close.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone ever have any troubles with the Mufflex system hitting or bumping anywhere on a lowered car?......what about the 4", that's a huge pipe going over the axle.....does the rear differential ever make contact?......my SS is lowered 1.5" all the way around
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StainlessWorks
How much power are you making?

The tube going into our system is 3.5". It then splits into a few core chambers but we maintain a minimum of 3.5" inside those chambers.

Outlet is dual 3"

Give me a call and we can figure out options,
-Jason
401 rwhp cam + bolt ons........do the inside of the mufflers that come in the SW Chambered system look like this?......if not, could you provide a pic for anyone who might have this question in the future?

Last edited by jc98ss; 01-08-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
anyone ever have any troubles with the Mufflex system hitting or bumping anywhere on a lowered car?......what about the 4", that's a huge pipe going over the axle.....does the rear differential ever make contact?......my SS is lowered 1.5" all the way around
I don't know about the 4" mufflex, but with the 3.5" as long as you tuck the overaxle pipe up high with just about 1/8" above it, and make sure the bend in the pipe is slightly forward, while also tucking the pipe up high where it goes over the PHB support you won't have any issues. I think you'll be fine with the 4" if you follow my suggestions.

BTW, when I full deflate my rear airsprings I still have about 1/16" clearance from the axle tube to the over-axle pipe.
http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w...ULY2010011.jpg
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two exhaust systems on Kooks true duals and a magnaflow catback. If i were to do another y pipe setup i would do a custom y or something with a flow master merge 3 going to 4 inch then any catback outback that would support a 4 inch inlet going to the rear bumper. For a muffler i would suggest a straight through design as they support the most free flow you will get with a muffler.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the 4" Mufflex system on my '94 Formula, installed by them in their NJ shop. Worst system ever, it hit everything. Horrible install. Lesson learned.

A 4" system is NOT needed. A 3" system should suffice most cars, 3.5" is nice AND IT FITS AND CLEARS.

Go with Stainless Works or Magnaflow.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12081612-post22.html
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The powerflo sounds decent but imo its over priced,but ya can get a lm1,2 for under 200,but i think ya would be better off if ya wanted to go that route just doing a magnamouth,borlamouth, the sweetthunders may kneck down but you were not losing any performance with your duals,now a single sweetthunder with a y pipe setup could be restrictive,honest bud i have had alot of catbacks,my 2 fav were gmmg n borla, but tsp duals with sweettunders owns them all imo,i would have just added high flow cats and ran the duals to the rear
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
The powerflo sounds decent but imo its over priced,but ya can get a lm1,2 for under 200,but i think ya would be better off if ya wanted to go that route just doing a magnamouth,borlamouth, the sweetthunders may kneck down but you were not losing any performance with your duals,now a single sweetthunder with a y pipe setup could be restrictive,honest bud i have had alot of catbacks,my 2 fav were gmmg n borla, but tsp duals with sweettunders owns them all imo,i would have just added high flow cats and ran the duals to the rear
i couldn't agree more, the Sweet Thunders own everything.
i actually ordered a couple of Magnaflow cats from Summit last year.......after raising the car and looking at it, i was just afraid of messing up my true dual system, especially with my crappy welding skills.....i have gotten a little bit better since then and i might buy another true dual kit, but this time i think i would just get the Summit X-pipe kit and build it all myself.....Sweet Thunder is now making a muffler that only necks down to 2.75" inside, i might just grab a couple of those and get crazy with the welder.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

I had the TSP true dual with sweet thunders, was good for a while but too quiet at idle for me. Plenty loud at wot btw. I ditched the sweet thunders and put on 3" 1 chamber race flowmasters. LOVE the sound now, and I'm sure it will sound even meaner once I ever get H/C combo put in. But ground clearance SUCKS!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Captain Double Post

Formulaon,once you put the h/c put on your going to wish ya kept the st,im serious i have had so many bullets,mufflers,catbalcs etc and the tone from st are just killer,mine is just very loud,im thinking of adding 2 more sweettunders before the cme, i hope with adding 2 more/combined with the cme it will tone it down just a bit ( mainly kill some of the cabin drone) and pick up a lil more tone
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Captain Double Post

Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Captain Double Post

Best st clip,like i said i think ya should of waited untill h/c was done before swapping bullets
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.madhammer.com

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Chambered vs SLP Powerflo vs Mufflex 4"