Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter question... Need help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter question... Need help ASAP.

Ok so I'm stuck at a gas station right now because my car won't start. Here's what happened: I was getting gas and then I go to start my car and all it did was turn over, after a few tries the starter took a **** and didn't turn anymore. So I replaced it with a new one and it still won't turn over, click or anything. BTW, I had the starter tested before I bought it just to be sure it worked and it worked fine. It's like the starter itself isn't getting any power but I checked and it is, even made sure the battery was good by connecting it to someone else's with jumper cables and trying to start it which was a fail. Also, all the fuses, relays, connections and grounds are all fine.

NOTE: VATS is currently disabled and the security light on the dash isn't on.

So my question is, is there any way I can use a 3rd wire and directly go from the power source to the purple wire on the starter solenoid without ant problems?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the wiring details of the car, but if the starter is good and it is getting power. Sounds like an ignition switch issue. Like when you turn the key, the signal isnt happening.

If you are in a jam....At your OWN risk. I have seen people jump a wire from the seloind to the starter motor.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I don't know the wiring details of the car, but if the starter is good and it is getting power. Sounds like an ignition switch issue. Like when you turn the key, the signal isnt happening.

If you are in a jam....At your OWN risk. I have seen people jump a wire from the seloind to the starter motor.
What do you need to know about the wiring? I swapped engines and I used the same harness... Everything is where it's supposed to be and it's grounded correctly. Quadruple checked the two wires that come off the started and they're fine. If I were to check the ignition how would I go about doing that? I swapped both starter and ignition fuses/relays and no change at all.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you cant test if the battery is good by connecting jumper cables to somebody elses car...
you have to load test it to know if its good..

more than likely, you have a completely shot battery...
take it out, take it up to the parts store, and have them test it..

when the battery is shot..it may still show 12v, but it wont have any power to be able to crank the starter over.

you can test the starter on the bench, and just connect 12v and a ground to it.. the solenoid and motor doesnt draw that much when theres no load on it...
but you have to have a known good battery to test it.

and yes..... it will suddenly fail when it is toast...just like you had it do to you at the gas station
and also, even if it does turn over, it wont have enough power to fire the ignition....
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible that the ignition is not allowing the disable mode to engage ie turn off. just a thought.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any other ideas or suggestions for what I should try? I'm starting to lean towards the ignition.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Figured it out, it was the ignition... all is good now. Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: Starter question... Need help ASAP.