Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancers/dampers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, Stick with the Fluidampr it's a better damper then the ATI below 5k. The ATI is better above 5500rpm, but there both still great dampers.

BTW, I've been running a Fluidampr 10%UD #720102 for years and never had any issues with it, and the engine has ran smoother(less vibration) after I installed it.
THANK YOU!

Maybe I should have originally asked which was better for MY uses, not in general, since most on here seem to have big, built, strokers which they scream up to 7500+ and only have to worry about those revs for ~8-10.5 seconds, a few times a week(end) for half of the year, and reference EVERYTHING off of their uses.

I'm glad to hear that the Fluidampr smoothed out everything, as right now my wobbling ASP 25% UD (yes, which after 150K+ miles owes me NOTHING at all, I guess) makes this thing sound and feel as though it is going to thrash itself to pieces at anything >2500 revs.
So I figure that the Fluidampr HAS TO BE better than that, AND than; a stocker, or Dorman Sino-junk, Pro Prod. (also Sino), or even the pretty good Ozzie built Power Bonds, etc., no??

I just do not want to put up with an UD pulley anymore, and I want to use the Gates racing serp. belts which I CANNOT get in the UD lengths as I also have an Evans wp with their pulley on it.

If/when I built up my; LS6/LS3 crate based, or modded Mast LS3 crate, THERE IS NO QUESTION IT WILL GET AN ATI!!!!!

Now, I am almost afraid to ask about timing chain sets, and oil pumps, since I plan on changing those out as well when the balancer is off.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No UD, then get the Fluidampr 740111.
BTW the difference I experienced was from replacing the SLP 25% UD balancer (perfect condition minus minor surface rust) with the Fluidampr.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
No UD, then get the Fluidampr 740111.
BTW the difference I experienced was from replacing the SLP 25% UD balancer (perfect condition minus minor surface rust) with the Fluidampr.
COOL!

So I'm hoping the Fluidampr (along with the new, blueprinted/modded oil pump, and OEM LS2 timing set/chain damper) will be smoother at ALL rev ranges than the ASP and the factory timing set/op, even when all of that was 'new and perfect'.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

There have a good number of articles and comparisons over the years concerning damper design and function. It's my belief that below 6,000 RPM, the Fluidampr will better damp and absorb crankshaft harmonics. The design of the internal floating inertia ring is not tuned to any specific speed or frequency.

Below 6,000 RPM, I'd reach for the Fluidampr. Above that, ATI gets the nod.

As you already have the Fluidampr, go ahead and use it.

Having said all this, as your engine is basically stock and say you'll never do any racing or high RPM runs, even the stock damper should satisfy your engine's needs.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The worst rpm for engine harmonics is between 3500-4500 if memory serves me correctly. I would get the ATI without hesitation.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
There have a good number of articles and comparisons over the years concerning damper design and function. It's my belief that below 6,000 RPM, the Fluidampr will better damp and absorb crankshaft harmonics. The design of the internal floating inertia ring is not tuned to any specific speed or frequency.

Below 6,000 RPM, I'd reach for the Fluidampr. Above that, ATI gets the nod.

As you already have the Fluidampr, go ahead and use it.

Having said all this, as your engine is basically stock and say you'll never do any racing or high RPM runs, even the stock damper should satisfy your engine's needs.
Thank you!

The above are my thoughts as well, and even though I might be doing some autocrossing/open track/HPDEs, I will NEVER ride the rev limiter (let alone TRY to exceed it) which is now set to 5900 revs, and will NEVER exceed ~5500 on the street.

Last edited by dailydriver; 01-30-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancers/dampers