Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stalls on initial start up, cranks but wont start again

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car stalls on initial start up, cranks but wont start again

My car cranks and starts just fine but if i attempt to start it and it stalls for what ever reason (i have to give it some gas or it WILL stall) then it will not start at all for an extended period of time (from 12-24 hours). I can get it to start if i jump it from another vehicle but even then it struggles and i can barley get it to get going.

I know fuel pressure is good and my pump works as it was checked by my buddy at the sport Chevrolet dealership. I just recently replaced all 8 spark plugs (3 miles?) and i have MSD plug wires with less than 10k. When i replaced the spark plugs it would actually start as my last plugs were fouled from not having a tune and driving for a short period of time.

My throttle body was causing my engine to rev to redline from engine start up but that was resolved by replacing my throttle body position sensor.

I found a torn vacuum line behind the intake manifold and replaced it with the updated Y tube from GM.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

bumppp
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be the idle air control valve not operating properly. That is what lets the right amount of air bypass the closed throttle body without any pedal applied. I read somewhere there is a way to test it but I don't remember where it was...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by C4 LS1
It may be the idle air control valve not operating properly. That is what lets the right amount of air bypass the closed throttle body without any pedal applied. I read somewhere there is a way to test it but I don't remember where it was...
Ill have to look it up, or i may just go to my mechanic buddy at sport Chevrolet and let him use his fancy $1500 plug in computers and see if its reading correctly.

Quick Reply: Car stalls on initial start up, cranks but wont start again