Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging after custom y-pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pinging after custom y-pipe install

On accel and decel I get what sounds like a pinging. Even when shifting and the clutch is disengaged and I let off the throttle I get the pinging. Nothing at idle or cruising. Naturally one would think the new exhaust is hitting somewhere on the car but I have checked everywhere and I have at least 1/2" gap everywhere. On full throttle I get almost no movement in the shifter so I don't think the engine moves enough to cause the exhaust to hit anywhere. I had reused the old manifold gasket and thought that was it so I replaced it to to no avail. It sound like it's coming from the passenger side. Any ideas would be appreciated. I did use a Vibrant stainless flex joint on the passenger side. It is not the turbo or inner liner version. Could it cause this?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Possibly exhaust leak after one of the headers, or a loose bolt or bracket on the exhaust or body. So besides the pinging sound how does the engine run?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say exhaust leak from a header as mentioned above, it really affects the perfomance of the vehicle.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The performance is fine and the NB O2's are reading dead on at idle. Mechanically the engine is great. I get a little ticking from the XE-R lobes on the cam but other than that it's just fine. The pinging listed above is completely different from the ticking for the valve train. I'll look again for any leaks.

Quick Reply: Pinging after custom y-pipe install