Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Aftermarket MAF should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Aftermarket MAF should i buy?

My MAF sensor went bad so i bought one from Autozone and that fixed the problem. It cost about $110 so what im gonna do is just spend a bit more and go ahead and upgrade my MAF sensor then return the one i bought from Autozone. I want to know what you guys are running and what your reccomend. Just so u know my goal for the car is 450 rwhp, i will be running a fast TB and intake eventually. So anyway, just want to get your input.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am doing 450 rwhp with the stock 00 c5 MAF with plenty of room to do more.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

use a stock MAF or if you just must do something, get a GM 85mm truck MAF

if you change the MAF you MUST change the tune...so figure another $150 mail order tune onto the cost
Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

if you change the MAF you MUST change the tune...so figure another $150 mail order tune onto the cost
I'm getting it tuned after i install my headers and exhaust anyway. Which is on the 25th.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just use the stock one thats all you need. I wanted a new one so went with the over priced zo6 one. I was in a bind and needed one bad thats why I did that.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

If that's the case see if you can exchange the one you bought for one from a 2000+ Silverado. You will need a harness adapter to plug it into the stock harness unless you would prefer to buy the pigtail a modify the harness.

Honestly though, stock would be fine for your goals.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

If that's the case see if you can exchange the one you bought for one from a 2000+ Silverado. You will need a harness adapter to plug it into the stock harness unless you would prefer to buy the pigtail a modify the harness.

Honestly though, stock would be fine for your goals.
Even if i go with a fast TB and Fast intake? And where would i get the harness adapter if i went with the 2000+ Silverado TB

Hey can you reccomend someone to do my mail order tune? Is the same tune that i would be getting from a shop with a dyno?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Fast intake and still gained nothing from the bigger MAF.

I got my harness adapter on ebay.

As far as mail order tuning goes, it will be close assuming there are no problems with the car or anything a mail order tune will be really good. I have had a tune from wait4me performance who is a sponsor on here and it seemed good. A couple friends have used another sponsor on here by the name of Frost.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said if you must change then go to the 85mm truck maf. But honestly there is no reason to change. The stock maf is not a restriction once descreened and is good for about 500 hp save the money and put it else where. You wont gain anything by a maf as thunderstruck has proven
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

I spend a lot of time browsing on here, it seems the MAF becomes an issue around the time the car is making 470+ rwhp on an honest dyno. That usually means a car with a badass set of aftermarket casting heads (often hand massaged on top of that), decent cam, big intake, big exhaust, etc.

And even then, you are usually talking around 5-8rwhp, and obviously more as you get closer to 500rwhp. The highest gain I recall seeing was ~13hp and the person changed more than the MAF to remove all restrictions in front of the throttle body.

I wouldn't descreen the MAF, instead look into one of the Sonax replacement screens which allow more airflow and straighten better than stock. Do a search and you will find threads on here. Cheap and easy.

http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html
Old 03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

i been having this P0102 code which said: mass or volume air flow circuit low input on my LS1 and i was thinking that the MAF went bad. I already cleaned the MAF with a MAF cleaner and still no solution. Plugs and wires seem good from what i could tell so i'm just leaning towards bad MAF.

I'm running a descreened MAF.

Thunderstruck507 so you recommend to remove the screen the MAF comes with and install a SAXONPC screen. I was thinking of buying a new MAF and removing the screen to run it the same way it was to eliminate restrictions.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Still running a stock MAF here and making the #'s in my sig. When Geoff tells me it's a restriction in my system, I'll change it, but he hasn't said anything yet. We're not maxing Hz and I don't have any WOT kPa issues
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

i been checking out some vidz in regards to SAXONPC flow straightners and it looks amazing.

so for the LS1 stock MAF all i need is the 5:1 ratio one or which one do you recommend for the stock MAF on my car.

I'm running a Volant intake systems so my Filter is right in front of the MAF which eliminates the 90 degree turn you get with a stock intake setup. Guess this is a plus for me lol. Then my Volant intake housing is modified with an open large slit on the bottom which i have a SLP cold air vent going thru it that way the air that comes up from the bottom can hit the intake just right and i also have the working SS hood. So no air restrictions for me.

Last edited by SickZ28; 03-20-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the 5:1 ratio, 86mm. That's for the stock MAF.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks dr_whigham,

now i gotta figure out this damn P0102 code. I'm not convinced that i have a bad MAF as my car doesn't act weird once so ever so not sure why is this code coming up.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What they said ^

No gain from going to an aftermarket MAF vs a stock one, unless you're going with an extremely high horsepower car.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 85mm truck maf off ebay for $40 and the pigtail for $12. If your getting a tune and want to swap mafs then this is the way to go. And the air temp sensor is integrated in the maf so you can eliminate the external one and it will look cleaner.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowbird780
I bought a 85mm truck maf off ebay for $40 and the pigtail for $12. If your getting a tune and want to swap mafs then this is the way to go. And the air temp sensor is integrated in the maf so you can eliminate the external one and it will look cleaner.
So the air temp sensor is the little plug at the end of my slp lid? And if i go with the 85mm gm truck MAF then i can just get something to plug up the whole and disconnect the wire? Also when getting the 85mm MAF did u have to get some kind of coupler to make this fit to the lid because it doesnt look like its going to fit?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonblu
So the air temp sensor is the little plug at the end of my slp lid? And if i go with the 85mm gm truck MAF then i can just get something to plug up the whole and disconnect the wire? Also when getting the 85mm MAF did u have to get some kind of coupler to make this fit to the lid because it doesnt look like its going to fit?
I think u may need a coupler for the slp lid which is easily found on ebay as well. Ill measure the OD of my maf so u can measure and decide that. You will have to plug up the hole where your current air temp sensor is. The pig tail for the 85mm truck maf is the cheaper way to go because you have to cut and splice this pigtail to your current harness but it looks alot better then having a bunch of wires and connectors there when using the caspers adapter harness. The 85mm truck maf is a 5 wire (because the temp sensor is integrated) as opposed to having a 3 wire maf and an external temp sensor (those are the other 2 wires). Im about to put mine in Saturday night so if you want I could take pictures and send them to you.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Teching In

I think this is kind of kicking a dead horse but here's my two cents. I purchased my car with a aftermarket 85mm SLP MAF sensor already installed. After I did some somewhat significant mods (mild cam, full exhaust, some trans work, and the removal of all the EGR garbage) i started to have a problem with the car running very lean. It destroyed my o2 sensors and the car acted like it was running on 4 cylinders. The solution was a man named steve williams (aka tuned by frost) apparently a 85mm truck maf sensor + some good replacement o2 sensors and a proper tune..poof problem solved. Threw the slp away a day later. As far as the install went..it already had the extension from the slp maf so the other went in without a problem. it also didnt effect my smooth bellow to lid combo. hope this helps. gl

Quick Reply: Which Aftermarket MAF should i buy?