Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Stainless LS1 Longtubes Now Available!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys. Appreciate the business..

Sean
Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the headers and Y-pipe in yesterday. Started the install this afternoon. The good is that the headers themselves fit really well. No rubbing, slid right in, etc. no complaints there at all. Definitely worth the loot.

The bad, the collectors and Y-pipe are very thin material, but these are budget headers so thats expected. The other thing is the I can't get the Y-pipe anywhere close to lining up with the cat-back. I spent 3 hours moving it around, twisting, etc...no luck. I'll mess with it some more in the morning, but if its doesn't fall into place I'm going to just run it to the exhaust shop and let them fab it into place.

Edit....

Gave up on the Y-pipe. It isn't going to happen. Its just too far off nor will the clamps provided tighten it down. The band clamps provided bottom out before actually securing the pipe sections. I was able to wiggle them right off after laying into it with a pull handle. So I'm going to have a custom Y made I guess. The EGR/Air fittings are also off by 90 degrees, so I'm going to have to have those welded up. Also did end up having to grind a good 1/4 inch off the passenger side K-member due to contact. The drivers side heat shield also needed cutting to make room for the O2 sensor..little frustrated, but they'll work fine once I tie up those loose ends.

Last edited by GtoSpd; 01-05-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Sponsor

Returned PM.

Thanks
Sean
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

just bought some headers from you guys I will post up soon how it went!! very hopeful!!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GtoSpd
The bad, the collectors and Y-pipe are very thin material, but these are budget headers so thats expected. The other thing is the I can't get the Y-pipe anywhere close to lining up with the cat-back. I spent 3 hours moving it around, twisting, etc...no luck. I'll mess with it some more in the morning, but if its doesn't fall into place I'm going to just run it to the exhaust shop and let them fab it into place.
What cat back are you running? Stock or some aftermarket? I am just curious because I am buying some of these headers/y-pipe soon which will be attached to my TSP cat back. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Sponsor

Our Air/EGR version is more of a generic China header. Customers have been using ours, TSP's, and PaceSetters Y-Pipes for years with that combo.

Our race version is our personal/proprietary header that is designed to work with our Y-Pipe as well.

Thanks
Sean

Last edited by Speed Engineering; 01-16-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

I haven't checked this thread in a while. Any talk of a 1 7/8 header yet?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:59 PM

Bought the race version of these last week and installed then yesterday. I am VERY pleased with the fitment and quality of these headers. Anyone looking for a header that's not a 1 7/8 pipe should look no further.

Install was easier than what most people tend to go through. Pipes did not hit a k-member, steering knuckle, body, or anything else. They literally slid right in on both sides and they actually came with decent gaskets, although I had already ordered a set of GM gaskets, I wouldn't be scared to use the ones supplied. The flanges had grinding marks from someone cleaning them up, which shows how fast word gets to the product from these forums. Flanges were super smooth and flat to a straight edge. O2 sensors went right in. I used a magnaflow Y pipe which fit the headers bit was about a half inch long when it came time to connect it to the rest of the system. None of that is because of the headers.

The pipes really woke up the car and were the best buy I could have made. I' ve had a set of the eBay headers in my hands before, and these are much more a quality piece for only $50 more. Better welds, straightness, everything. Would and will recommend these to everyone.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by SRVDean
Bought the race version of these last week and installed then yesterday. I am VERY pleased with the fitment and quality of these headers. Anyone looking for a header that's not a 1 7/8 pipe should look no further.

Install was easier than what most people tend to go through. Pipes did not hit a k-member, steering knuckle, body, or anything else. They literally slid right in on both sides and they actually came with decent gaskets, although I had already ordered a set of GM gaskets, I wouldn't be scared to use the ones supplied. The flanges had grinding marks from someone cleaning them up, which shows how fast word gets to the product from these forums. Flanges were super smooth and flat to a straight edge. O2 sensors went right in. I used a magnaflow Y pipe which fit the headers bit was about a half inch long when it came time to connect it to the rest of the system. None of that is because of the headers.

The pipes really woke up the car and were the best buy I could have made. I' ve had a set of the eBay headers in my hands before, and these are much more a quality piece for only $50 more. Better welds, straightness, everything. Would and will recommend these to everyone.
Thank you for the comments. Usually you don't hear the positive comments just the negative. Thanks again.

1320Chicken: We just sent off two sets of headers last week for the trucks. Both of those will be 1 7/8" I would assume were still a year out before we come back to the LS1's however. It all depends on how fast we can move everything this year.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks for selling me such a great product i had no fitment issues at all on my auto 2000 z28...
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Sponsor

Glad to hear. Thanks again..

Sean
Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GtoSpd
Got the headers and Y-pipe in yesterday. Started the install this afternoon. The good is that the headers themselves fit really well. No rubbing, slid right in, etc. no complaints there at all. Definitely worth the loot.

Edit....

Gave up on the Y-pipe. It isn't going to happen. Its just too far off nor will the clamps provided tighten it down. The band clamps provided bottom out before actually securing the pipe sections. I was able to wiggle them right off after laying into it with a pull handle. So I'm going to have a custom Y made I guess. The EGR/Air fittings are also off by 90 degrees, so I'm going to have to have those welded up. Also did end up having to grind a good 1/4 inch off the passenger side K-member due to contact. The drivers side heat shield also needed cutting to make room for the O2 sensor..little frustrated, but they'll work fine once I tie up those loose ends.
So these require cutting up there car? Was planning on getting these, but if I have to do all of that, then I'll look else where
Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Our Air/EGR version is more of a generic China header. Customers have been using ours, TSP's, and PaceSetters Y-Pipes for years with that combo.

Our race version is our personal/proprietary header that is designed to work with our Y-Pipe as well.

Thanks
Sean
We have sold the Air/EGR version for a while now and have no control over manufacturing changes unfortunately. I would say out of 100 2 or 3 will have fitment issues, but most of the time they fit just fine. We do recommend slotting the Y-Pipe connection points however to make sure the clamp grabs properly.

Our race version is our proprietary header which we can control manufacturing and assure fitment. O2 Sensors are on the inside, primary tubes are bigger etc, as was talked about in other posts. If your concerned about fitment I would recommend the Race version. We haven't seen a single issue with those. And require nothing to be notched or moved.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
We have sold the Air/EGR version for a while now and have no control over manufacturing changes unfortunately. I would say out of 100 2 or 3 will have fitment issues, but most of the time they fit just fine. We do recommend slotting the Y-Pipe connection points however to make sure the clamp grabs properly.

Our race version is our proprietary header which we can control manufacturing and assure fitment. O2 Sensors are on the inside, primary tubes are bigger etc, as was talked about in other posts. If your concerned about fitment I would recommend the Race version. We haven't seen a single issue with those. And require nothing to be notched or moved.

Thanks
Sean
Do you have a link to you race versions?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Sponsor

There is a thread below this one all about them, and here is link to our site.

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/1...eering-headers

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Im in the market for some headers for our 99 TA, If I went with the headers and y pipe race version, im sure the car wouldn't pass state inspection(emissions) would it? I use to own a 2001 mustang years back and on that I could swap out the off road h pipe anytime I needed to. Would I be able to do the same with the header y pipe setup? Or would I need more done to the exhaust in order to allow me to swap out the y pipe when needed?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Sponsor

Every state is different. Honestly, not sure. I know in California we cant even have longtube headers regardless. lol But, we still do it, and either find a smog guy willing to pass us, or switch it back every 2 years.

Sean
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I don't mind the switching, I used to do it on my 01 stang, just curious if I went with the headers and y pipe, I would have to have a new y pipe fab at the exhaust shop to account for the headers and cat placement, then that would be the y pipe I would take off to put on the off road one..

Ill be under the car soon and trying to get list of things together and parts ordered before starting.. so wanted to see what was involved in the header swap with y pipe, as I would go straight to the shop to get a new y pipe fab to work with the headers, and then come home to replace with the y pipe
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Sponsor

I have heard that the TSP catted Y-Pipe works with our headers. You might give that a shot if you want a catted Y-Pipe.

Sean
Old 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Yea the thing is I already have new cats we bought to install a while back and the labor costs to do it were to much, but now that ill be under there and remove things to make it easier, I was planning on using what I have.. Like I said, I don't mind the yearly swap to be legal, so I guess if anything, I would install the headers, put everything back on and take it to have the stock y pipe cut to fit with the new cats.. if that's even an option..

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Stainless LS1 Longtubes Now Available!!!