Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the sence of having a borla or lm exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARaver
Exhaust noise is lessened when it bounces off of "cooler" pipe. The longer the exhaust system, the quieter it will be. Mufflers are simply baffles for the exhaust to bounce off of to quiet it. Common sense really.
Unfortunately, in today's world common sense is not as common as it should be.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:22 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fire99hawk
whats the sence of having a borla or lm exhaust ory and the whole 9yrds mine as well run open headers and forgetabout the exhaust tubes right? as far as the borla y dont people use the plates ? reason for this post my buddy lost an avg of 12 hp and 7lbs on his ws6 can someone please help out
Sounds and looks the best...o and more HP.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Teching In

It's up to you how you want your car to sound. I personally wouldn't run open headers or straight pipes even if I can get better flow for power gain. I think they sound horrible, maybe not horrible, there just isn't a tone if you know what I mean. I love the way my Borla sounds when I hit the gas. One thing I might just get is a Cut out, so I can go from mild to wild on the strip. I'll get a decent amount of power from an open cut out. Might just get the manual open and close plate instead of the electric one to save money. I've done this before on a truck I once owned. Really fun mod.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JJT
Sounds and looks the best...o and more HP.
^This. If you aren't familiar with exhaust backpressure, exhaust scavenging, and the overall effect that the exhaust system has on performance..check this video out
Old 04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude if you think running an LM1 or any Borla exhaust is anywhere close to running open HEADERS you have no idea what you are talking about! Here is a video of my LS1 Camaro Z28 with NO cats, SLP ORY, and SLP LM1 dumped behind the rear axle! So basically straight pipe with an expansion chamber(LM1) dumped behind the axle! It is no where even close to open headers! Then it shows the comparison of the LM1 to the Borla XR-1, which is quieter because it is actually a muffler and not just an empty tube. But neither of the 2 is comparable to open header!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Open headers are just that open "headers". Adding anything to them (ory, lm, whatever without a doubt quiets them down and provides at least a little sound deadening. Yes common sense as stated.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZouMechE
^This. If you aren't familiar with exhaust backpressure, exhaust scavenging, and the overall effect that the exhaust system has on performance..check this video out
How Exhaust Systems Can Increase Horsepower - YouTube
Good class of knowledge man. All I'm saying is, I read Christopher P. Endres book of knowledge "Chevy LS1/LS6 Performance" and Richard Holdener "Dyno-Proven GM LS1 thru LS7" book. After I put the exhaust on my car, what they stated, turn out to be true...on my car.

Last edited by JJT; 04-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 AM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Dude if you think running an LM1 or any Borla exhaust is anywhere close to running open HEADERS you have no idea what you are talking about! Here is a video of my LS1 Camaro Z28 with NO cats, SLP ORY, and SLP LM1 dumped behind the rear axle! So basically straight pipe with an expansion chamber(LM1) dumped behind the axle! It is no where even close to open headers! Then it shows the comparison of the LM1 to the Borla XR-1, which is quieter because it is actually a muffler and not just an empty tube. But neither of the 2 is comparable to open header!

99 Camaro Z28 LS1 Exhaust clip. SLP LM1 to Borla XR1, Start up and Revs - YouTube
Now thats a Borla..nice.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JJT
Now thats a Borla..nice.
Thanks man! Yeah, Borla XR-1. Just the muffler not the entire system. Didn't have over 2k to spend on a cat back. So I just cut the LM1 out and welded the XR1 in it's place! It was so much better inside the car and outside in my opinion. Way less drone, not raspy, more rumble and muscle sound! I plan to basically do the same thing to my T/A. Right now I have cats and LM1 Cat back. So basically the only muffler I have is the cats. It sounds ok for now but I want no cats and Borla again!

Last edited by KissMyTushZ28; 04-26-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

holy ****, OP is retarded.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roninsonic
holy ****, OP is retarded.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran open headers on my 04 cammed goat and my buddy has an 05 cammed goat w/ LT's and an LM1 and there was no comparison........
Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get the Borla Adjustable catback then you also want to get an electronic diverter, then you can vary the sound level and flow from your seat! Forget using plates...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-25-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Right now I have cats, ORY and LM1. So basically the only muffler I have is the cats. It sounds ok for now but I want no cats and Borla again!
sorry, but could you please explain this one to me. Did you weld in some cats in an ORY, making it a "catted"-Y?

OP if you have truly heard a car with open headers, then I think you can draw a conclusion as to why people run exhaust systems. That and due to laws.

I mean why even run headers? Just let the exhaust freely escape from right out of the heads! Less restriction = more power!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Op just because thats how you talk doesnt mean you have to type like that it makes you look retarded sorry. Typing like that makes your assumption even less credible.

And if you think an open borla or even lm1 sound anything like open headers you need your hearing examined. I've driven multiple ls1 cars with open headers and my buddy runs a borla with an open plate...Ya NOTHING like open headers.

For starters the pipes dissipate some of the sound by the mere property of the sound getting absorbed by the metal. Then couple that with the fact that the sound and harmonics are being tossed out the back instead of under your feet and you have a much quieter note.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z-camaro
sorry, but could you please explain this one to me. Did you weld in some cats in an ORY, making it a "catted"-Y?

OP if you have truly heard a car with open headers, then I think you can draw a conclusion as to why people run exhaust systems. That and due to laws.

I mean why even run headers? Just let the exhaust freely escape from right out of the heads! Less restriction = more power!
Whoa my bad. I'm still used to putting ORY from when I had my Camaro. No i just have the LM1 Catback on the T/A. If you notice the post was at 3am, I was very tired lol!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand these threads. Someone can post a question, well written and well structured, with good background information and a unique subject, and they get responses like "do a search", or get insulted. You get this toolbag with an idiotic question, run on sentences, and the most common topic on the forum, and it gets this much attention.

I don't get it over here.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ^ he said
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
I don't understand these threads. Someone can post a question, well written and well structured, with good background information and a unique subject, and they get responses like "do a search", or get insulted. You get this toolbag with an idiotic question, run on sentences, and the most common topic on the forum, and it gets this much attention.

I don't get it over here.
neither do I. I read 2 of his posts and questioned if he even spoke english and it was not worth my time. Also since he's so godamn smart and doesn't want to listen to logic and other posters experience **** him and his poorly written thread. Let him learn for himself.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

LMAO this thread is retarded. I couldnt drive my car for10 days cause i was waiting for a y pipe, open headrs are retarded loud. then i got the y pipe, quieted it down a little bit, then attached my catback, car is still loud, but its managable. obsurd thread.

Quick Reply: whats the sence of having a borla or lm exhaust