Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Exhaust Help

Hey guys here I am again asking exhaust questions. Just to start off I am in college so money is rare in my bank lol. I first bought the car it had lt, ory, flowmaster. I changed over to lt,ory, magnaflow 14151 race muffler dumped at the rear tire(trying to copy mufflex). Its still way quite for my style can't even here her idle. I am a hugh fan off gmmg catbacks but being in college I don't have 700 bucks to get it. So now to my question which I am sure has probably been ask 1 million times. Would it be really loud to put a power stick in the I pipe and then run the pipes out the back (I heard td's with sweet thunders and I could stand that loudness)? WOuld it be better to put a power stick on each side coming out right before the tip? In other words Im trying to get as close to gmmg sound as possible without forking up the big bucks. And I do not want to fab the mufflers side by side with the 90 bends like the gmmg system.

I will not run Td's due to ground clearance I know they sound amazing

Also I am open to any other exhaust ideas.

Plus it dosn't have to be powersticks just saying them for example. I want the best sounding chambereds

And loudness is not an issue here in my area. Just don't want nothing stupid loud as I said early Td's Sweet thunders are fine in my loud preferences lmao.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just get a good cutback like Borla Adjustable and add an electric valve like DMH's -- then you have it all with a volume switch at your driver seat. Best of all worlds.

Time to get a job -- I worked through college, but it's been a long time ago...
Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I would just get a good cutback like Borla Adjustable and add an electric valve like DMH's -- then you have it all with a volume switch at your driver seat. Best of all worlds.

Time to get a job -- I worked through college, but it's been a long time ago...
I'm not really looking for the best of both worlds want something pretty loud with a good tone, and cutouts are loud but no tone. and I do have a job but after car payment insurance and many other bills just don't have $700 for gmmg. Haha thanks though
Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Teching In

I think I read you wrong. you meant put the cutout where the adj plate. I might do that... anybody else on the chambered idea or any ideas really
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest go with dumped duals n sweetthunders,best sounding setup i have heard to date,and i have heard gmmg /borla etc,while those 2 are the best sounding catbacks imo true duals is where its at,screw 700 for a catback though you could almost do a cam swap for that and your exhaust now would prob be perfect,i would add the cutout,having a loud car 24/7 is aggravating
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
To be honest go with dumped duals n sweetthunders,best sounding setup i have heard to date,and i have heard gmmg /borla etc,while those 2 are the best sounding catbacks imo true duals is where its at,screw 700 for a catback though you could almost do a cam swap for that and your exhaust now would prob be perfect,i would add the cutout,having a loud car 24/7 is aggravating
I still kinda agaist td's I might I might jump up and get them, My buddy has sweet thunders though and I don't want to copy him completely might run bullets or something else chambered? Thanks

Anybody else think the power stick idea would work or should I just get custom TD's and hope for clearance.

And Bobs99ss your right $700 is way to much for a catback thats why I was thinking something custom.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah with $700 If rather run dumped true duals with a Magnaflow X-Pipe and your choice of mufflers. Get some glasspacks
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a Flowmaster Outlaw in place of the Magnaflow. They sound pretty badass and are loud.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did dumped duals. I still have to tuck them up better, but ive never heard anything that sounds even half as good as this set up. Duals with 1 chambers dumped.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In order to get "tone" with a cutout, simply go with an electronic cutout and open the valve only partially (30%). This way you get volume and flow from the cutout, however plenty of the exhaust still passes through the mufflers -- hence you get the tone.

If you have LT's and an off-road y, you might still have some rasp from the cutout however that can be mitigated rather well with a turn down on the cutout (QTP sells one one their site).

This could be a pretty cost-effective solution.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wink

I get some cool tone via my noweeds diverter -- but it ALL goes out the diverter since it's a dual butterfly, unless partially open... Doesn't sound bad, but IS loud, and it goes through high flow cats first...

Originally Posted by Midnight02
In order to get "tone" with a cutout, simply go with an electronic cutout and open the valve only partially (30%). This way you get volume and flow from the cutout, however plenty of the exhaust still passes through the mufflers -- hence you get the tone.

If you have LT's and an off-road y, you might still have some rasp from the cutout however that can be mitigated rather well with a turn down on the cutout (QTP sells one one their site).

This could be a pretty cost-effective solution.

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust Help