Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low-Profile Thermostatic Oil Cooler Adapter for LS-Series Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fixinitup
How does this fabricated adapter save you any more height than the other oil filter adapters that pipe out the bottom? By tapping one of the ports out the bottom, how does this save you clearance over adapters like the hamburger? Asking because I'm in the process of adding a filter/cooler/accusump and run 1-7/8" kooks.

I just purchased this Derale adapter yesterday from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15705/overview/ for mock up purposes. Going to try an 90 NTP fitting and straight NTP with 90 swivel hose end to run lines in parallel. Hopefully I'll be able to find enough clearance someway.
Sorry just saw this.

I tried a Hamburger Adaptor, it is similar. the main issue is you can not adjust the port positions. They land where ever it happened to tighten, there is also no room for 2 AN10 lines side by side with the 2" header on the F body. So you need to stack them which gets very tall and really bad for ground clearance. I tried a tight 90 and a smooth radius. The one I used is lower profile by about 1 1/2" maybe a little more. You can see my long radius 120 degree fitting is about the same as the tight radius 90 and the other one is way higher up the block and right tight against it for header clearance.

Not to mention on the Derale/Hamburger they run right in front of the oil drain. All bad things.

If you can fit the Improved Racing one in, that is a great solution, but with 2" and likely 1 7/8" headers, it will put a 10 AN line to close to the header for my liking.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Sorry just saw this.

I tried a Hamburger Adaptor, it is similar. the main issue is you can not adjust the port positions. They land where ever it happened to tighten, there is also no room for 2 AN10 lines side by side with the 2" header on the F body. So you need to stack them which gets very tall and really bad for ground clearance. I tried a tight 90 and a smooth radius. The one I used is lower profile by about 1 1/2" maybe a little more. You can see my long radius 120 degree fitting is about the same as the tight radius 90 and the other one is way higher up the block and right tight against it for header clearance.

Not to mention on the Derale/Hamburger they run right in front of the oil drain. All bad things.

If you can fit the Improved Racing one in, that is a great solution, but with 2" and likely 1 7/8" headers, it will put a 10 AN line to close to the header for my liking.

Thanks for the response and that picture is worth a thousand words! So that is the hamburger with a tight 90 and swivel hose end 90 run directly behind it? So the problem is not so much the header clearance but the possible hazard of bottoming out on the 90 hose end? I was going to try that exact setup but with the derale. A little more clearance could be found by machining the bottom of the adapter about 1/4" but would lose some if a shim is needed to clock the hoses where they need to be. The derale my be a little more "low profile" just by looks but I can't verify that as hamburgerperformance site does not post their spec/dimension. Seems like your fabricated adapter is the only full proof solution. I may be brave and try machining the derale as much as possible so the lines tuck up the most. Seems that would be the simple/cheap solution which is right up my ally. Thanks

BTW got any more pics of the k member while is it out, those pedestals look nutz!

Last edited by fixinitup; 01-28-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you mean pedestals?

It is the UMI RR K member. Click on the larger image, then toggle thru there are a ton of pics of it installed at the below link. If you need some thing else let me know. I have the car in the air right now and could get you pictures of specifics.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=176
Old 01-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Is it... I thought it was a modified stock K member and I was talking about the engine pedestals that connect to the motor mounts. Is there another name for them? Most K's I've seen only use one support "beam" as I now see the UMI uses two even in their non RR K member.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried to run factory ls7 cooler lines with 2" headers? the lines seem to tuck up well and i have seem them used for swaps
Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM
LX1
Staging Lane

Has anyone found a long tube header that has clearance in this area?

I have the Improved Racing Thermostatic adapter and it won't clear my QTP headers.

This is in a 99 ss.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my setup used a Canton adapter but went around the back of headers and along the frame rail to a Canton filter that has two ports for cooler or Acu-sump, mounted by the sway bar I am using ARH headers and had no clearance issues using AN-10 lines

Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Will one of these work as an oil feed and drain for a turbo?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 05GTO6.0
Will one of these work as an oil feed and drain for a turbo?
If all you want is an oil feed for a turbo or sensor ports, you can use this part: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-ac...nes-p-339.html

EGM-116

If you're running an oil cooler, you can tee the turbo feed into the oil cooler line.

For the drain, you will have to connect the drain to the oil pan. It needs to go to a low pressure oil drain, like the pan. You can't have a drain connected to a pressure line (because it won't drain).

----------

I know this is an old thread, but we have a few more options for some of you guys with long tube headers that might help.

This new adapter has oil cooler ports that exit out the front and the bottom: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...aro-p-785.html

EGM-114

So if you have problems with header clearance above the oil cooler adapter, or if you want to avoid fiddling with getting the lines around the knock sensor, this adapter might work better for you.

For those doing an oil cooler relocation, we now have a remote filter mount with a built-in oil thermostat: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...tat-p-781.html

ENV-170

And we have this oil take off plate as well:

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...ate-p-644.html

Remote oil filter takeoff plate

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

IR - do you have pics of the oil take off (filter relocation) plate installed on an fbody with LT headers? This might be the ticket to add an oil cooler when I swap to Kooks 2" headers in the next few weeks. I like the short vertical design but have concerns about how low it hangs with the -8 to -10 ORB fittings with lines to navigate around the pan and headers.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
IR - do you have pics of the oil take off (filter relocation) plate installed on an fbody with LT headers? This might be the ticket to add an oil cooler when I swap to Kooks 2" headers in the next few weeks. I like the short vertical design but have concerns about how low it hangs with the -8 to -10 ORB fittings with lines to navigate around the pan and headers.
I don't have any pics of that application. Using these low profile hose ends would get the maximum ground clearance:

http://www.improvedracing.com/an-swi...ing-p-321.html

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't hang below the oil pan.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Quick Reply: Low-Profile Thermostatic Oil Cooler Adapter for LS-Series Engine