Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my new intake soaked with oil even with a new catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why is my new intake soaked with oil even with a new catch can?

So I installed a brand new LS6 intake manifold on my 99 LS1. At the same time I installed a newer style LS6 style valley cover I got from a member that pulled it from his 04 GTO with 80k or so miles. I blocked off both ports on the valve covers. The one on the rear of the drivers side valve cover and the one at the back of the passenger side valve cover. I still have the front of the passenger valve cover hooked to the throttle body like it was from the factory. Now, I have the LS6 valley cover routed to a RX catch can. The line running from the valley cover is hooked to the center nipple on the can, and from the can to the intake by the nipple on the outside edge of the can. I did all the work at the same time and the intake was brand new, still in the GM box and wrapped in plastic. I had to pull my intake off to trouble shoot an issue with my map sensor and my intake is quiet literally dripping oil. It is completely soaked and mostly at the very back. It was so bad I wanted to tear the catch can off and put all the factory stuff back on it. My map sensor was dripping with oil. My 118,xxx mile LS1 intake wasn't this bad when I pulled it off for the swap. WTF? Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same setup and I have the same issue. My OE setup was much better. Ive not gotten more than a drop out of the catch can in 2500 miles. And on a hot day like yesterday I am detonating at WOT. I'm going to relocate my can to a cooler location to see if I can get it to work better.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
So I installed a brand new LS6 intake manifold on my 99 LS1. At the same time I installed a newer style LS6 style valley cover. I blocked off both ports on the valve covers. The one on the rear of the drivers side valve cover and the one at the back of the passenger side valve cover. I still have the front of the passenger valve cover hooked to the throttle body like it was from the factory. Now, I have the LS6 valley cover routed to a RX catch can. The line running from the valley cover is hooked to the center nipple on the can, and from the can to the intake by the nipple on the outside edge of the can. Thanks guys.

I am not familiar w/ that can, but assume that your connections are correct. Oil is likely entering the intake through the front valve cover connection. Install an in-line fuel filter in the line that runs from the front valve cover connection to the throttle body. Get one that is clear so that you can see what it's collecting.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't the front passenger side just a vent for the crank case? I didn't think oil would travel up the tube and into the TB. The RX can has a check valve in it so there is no blow-by. Take the tube off and run a q-tip inside and see if it's covered with oil. Another option is to cap that side and just run a k&n breather.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. Stock pcv system though. I installed to air filters and they catch plenty of oil, but they don't seem to be getting it all. It still gets its way into the combustion chamber. I think the fixed orifice pcv I installed helped a little, but not enough. I finally bit the bullet on a mightymouse catch can. He is still putting it together, but when I get it I will report back.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Isn't the front passenger side just a vent for the crank case? I didn't think oil would travel up the tube and into the TB.

It draws filtered air into the crank case through the passenger side cover/head. The air flows through the crankcase & out through the PCV system. It's both a an intake while in negative pressure & a vent @ WOT. Anyone with no filter/can between the passenger side valve cover & TB can look @ the throttle body blade &/or the connection point on the throttle body & find oil.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I just checked mine and am getting the same thing, oil in the TB tube. This is why RX recommended their breather which has a check valve in it.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well oddly enough, the line to and from the can seem to be quiet oil free... Now I'm really confused. Where else could oil, in that quantity come from?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Well oddly enough, the line to and from the can seem to be quiet oil free... Now I'm really confused. Where else could oil, in that quantity come from?
We've already answered that question.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Move your can down under the passenger side headlight, mount it off one of the crash bar frame rail mount bolts. To drain it drill a hole with either a dremel or hole saw so you can reach under the nose to open/close the drain valve.
BTW, it'll catch a lot more oil so I'd recommend draining it in about 1week, at least the first time.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I am not familiar w/ that can, but assume that your connections are correct. Oil is likely entering the intake through the front valve cover connection. Install an in-line fuel filter in the line that runs from the front valve cover connection to the throttle body. Get one that is clear so that you can see what it's collecting.
So if oil is entering through the TB from the passenger valve cover and is verified by this in-line fuel filter you suggested is there a fix? Or do you have to routinely change in-line filters? I think this is why I am getting oil in the first 1/4 to 1/3 of my intake.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssgunny
So if oil is entering through the TB from the passenger valve cover and is verified by this in-line fuel filter you suggested is there a fix? Or do you have to routinely change in-line filters? I think this is why I am getting oil in the first 1/4 to 1/3 of my intake.

You don't need the filter in order to confirm it. All you have to do to verify is check throttle body blade & nipple on throttle body. You'll find the oil. Install & change filter as needed. Use a cheap, clear in-line filter.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need the filter in order to confirm it. All you have to do to verify is check throttle body blade & nipple on throttle body. You'll find the oil. Install & change filter as needed. Use a cheap, clear in-line filter.
Will check for oil there. Makes you think if oil is found why not use a PCV valve there? I would think the same principles would be found which would allow fresh filtered air in with an open valve and shut the valve at WOT when pressure builds back towards the TB. I don't know but if this was the case it would prevent the need of replacing a filter regularly.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

The valve is not to stop oil.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Will check for oil there. Makes you think if oil is found why not use a PCV valve there? I would think the same principles would be found which would allow fresh filtered air in with an open valve and shut the valve at WOT when pressure builds back towards the TB. I don't know but if this was the case it would prevent the need of replacing a filter regularly.

Installing a PCV valve there will cause you to lose venting under WOT. Line is for fresh air inlet while in vacuum & crankcase pressure vent under heavy acceleration when actual PCV is closed.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Why not just seal everything up and put a GZ motorsports vacuum pump on it?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Because if you drive you car regularly you need a way to evacuate the moisture/vapors from the crankcase and replace it with fresh air so your oil lasts more than 100 miles?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Dual can = problem solved, if it indeed IS ingesting oil from the line from the passenger front valve cover.

I'm a bit confused with your can routing though. On my Norris, the TOP of the can is where my dirty line goes (from LS6 Valley Nipple) and the SIDE of the can is the clean line that goes back to the nipple on the FAST Intake.

I run a single can and my intake it dry, and I drain about a quarter a cup of oil, at MOST, at every oil change
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PowerAdder
The valve is not to stop oil.
The way I was suggesting to use it that would have been its purpose.
Installing a PCV valve there will cause you to lose venting under WOT. Line is for fresh air inlet while in vacuum & crankcase pressure vent under heavy acceleration when actual PCV is closed.
Well that goes to show you how well I know this system works.

I pulled the hose and checked the tube on my TB with a qtip and no sign of oil residue. I had the older style LS6 valley cover with a rigged up orifice placed in the nipple to eliminate an external PCV valve. This may have been my issue. I have since put the newer LS6 valley cover on over the winter at which time when I pulled the intake and noticed the oil. I may still place a clear in-line gas filter in the hose between the TB and valve cover just to see what it collects.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

94Z28-MSTGKLR does have the hoses correct on his Rx CC I'd move the can where I suggested, and then if needed either the Rx breather with valve, or a smaller CC to keep oil out of the TB..

Quick Reply: Why is my new intake soaked with oil even with a new catch can?