Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed my exhaust again! **Update! Pics!!**

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's the fact it's not able to resonate off the ground, I think it's the extra piping after the X leading up to the mufflers. I have a sneaking suspicion that if the mufflers were mounted closer to the X, the rasp would probably go away. I think the resonances are just too amplified by the time they reach the mufflers that a single chamber is not going to be able to kill it all. I could be wrong, and I have no math or science to prove it, but to me it just seems like all that metal piping is acting like an amplifier for the rasp right out of the X, like a pipe organ. And if the mufflers were placed right after the X with the piping coming out of those and to the end of the car, the rasp would go away.

Actually, I have a good example to prove my theory. My aforementioned neighbor had a 2004 Mustang before his 2009, and the 04 had its mufflers located under the car. He was running a catted X pipe in to a set of Flowmaster 40 or 50 series, and the car sounded mint. No rasp, all bass, just perfect like most other Mustangs with Flowmasters. Now on his 09, the mufflers are located at the rear of the car. He installed a catless X pipe and no matter what he did, there was rasp. Stock mufflers, Pypes Violators, and Flow 40's. And it was loud, and this is all on the stock log-style manifold. He installed a MAC Power Chamber and the rasp is all but gone. It's still there a bit, but for the most part it's gone. And it took a chamber right off the manifolds to stop it. Probably similar in theory to the FM merge for Y pipe based systems.

I would say maybe toss some bullets of some sort in the middle of the system under the car to act as resonators, and I bet it makes those 10's sound perfect.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we'll find out, my mufflers, probably single chambers, are going to be right off the x. It won't be fir a few months until I get everything to do it though, plugs, block off plates, flanges, headers, etc..
Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks sweet. I like the tips
Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Well we'll find out, my mufflers, probably single chambers, are going to be right off the x. It won't be fir a few months until I get everything to do it though, plugs, block off plates, flanges, headers, etc..
My first few videos are this set up. No rasp.

Here's a nice idle vid I took last night

Old 07-07-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

OP- where are you located? I'm looking for a shop to do a similar under the axle setup
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Suffolk county, New York.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

idk... i like the way they ALL sound! thats just me.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
The rasp is from running it out the back. Now the exhaust has nothing to resonate off of like the ground and the underside of the car. People are all teh time talking about duals this and duals that. I have built more exhaust for these cars than I can count and I have tried about everything.

If you want it deep and rasp free then it has to be dumped. The sound of these cars has less to do with the choice of y pipe or duals and more to do with where you terminate the exhaust
Don't listen to this guy, he's clueless.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Don't listen to this guy, he's clueless.
I have fabricated more exhaust systems for these cars than years you have been alive. Im not some internet troll that quotes other post they have seen as gospel with no proof
Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I have fabricated more exhaust systems for these cars than years you have been alive. Im not some internet troll that quotes other post they have seen as gospel with no proof
You built these?

Maybe you have built more systems than years of my life. But if you've done it 20, 30, or even 40 times like the hack jobs shown above, I stand by my original statement that you're clueless.

Me? I had a properly done true dual on my 85 Camaro back in 1997. And again on my 00 Trans Am in 2008. Both out the back, with better than stock clearance, and no rasp.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Suffolk county, New York.
I'm a little over an hour away. Can you PM me info about where you got your exhaust fabbed up? I'd like to get something made up soon. My current exhaust is just too loud and is too big to squeeze a watts link next to.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

So could I still salvaged system by making a different set of tailpipes? What are the quietest bullet style muffler that I could get before the tips. Lol if there is such a thing.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you put a set of bullets in right off the X where the mufflers used to be (while keeping the mufflers you currently have in the rear)? I bet that would take a ton of rasp out and smooth out the sound quite nicely. I have no idea how large bullets can be and what might or might not fit, but that's the route I would go if I were you.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

That's what I'm thinking about doing next.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to compare the sound of this to my full Kooks setup (catless). I love how those FM10s sound.

The Kooks has ZERO and I mean ZERO rasp and has bullets right at the tail pipes.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
I would love to compare the sound of this to my full Kooks setup (catless). I love how those FM10s sound.

The Kooks has ZERO and I mean ZERO rasp and has bullets right at the tail pipes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...st-f-body.html

is that the exhaust you went with?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

I would go spintechs hands down. that is my going to be my setup if i ever loose the stock exhaust.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
That's what I'm thinking about doing next.
I can recommend that you do. Nothing sounds better than the Flowmasters IMO. I had a Flowmaster setup on my 95 Formula that rasped a little too hard after I got my LTs & ORY. I installed a Dynomax "bullet" muffler after the y-merge and all the rasp was GONE. I can't speak for a true-dual setup as I have never had one, but in my case it was exactly what I wanted.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You built these?

Maybe you have built more systems than years of my life. But if you've done it 20, 30, or even 40 times like the hack jobs shown above, I stand by my original statement that you're clueless.

Me? I had a properly done true dual on my 85 Camaro back in 1997. And again on my 00 Trans Am in 2008. Both out the back, with better than stock clearance, and no rasp.
those are not mine ... what would give you the impression they were?

it wont let me blow the pics up but these look like systems that i took off of customers cars and replaced with mine. The top pic was done at a local muffler shop and the mufflers are cherry bomb and the bottom pic i dont know where it was made and the mufflers were glasspacks. Both systems were made at muffler shops by evidence of the crush bends from the hydraulic benders used at muffler shops. I make mine from mandrel bends.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Teching In

true duals are the way to go,I put a pypes system and pro race mufflers on my 98 z28 with x pipe 2 1/2 inch from my long tube headers, and car ran 2mph slower with ory at 3inch into 3 inch bullit muffler with turn down ,oh yeah and couldn't use my new adjustible umi torque arm with duals cause torque arm mount ends up where front shackel goes .anybody got some ideas how I can redo back to true duals with out spending about 1000 on exhaust already

Quick Reply: Changed my exhaust again! **Update! Pics!!**