Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 formula ls1 oil cooler location

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 formula ls1 oil cooler location

:FIRST.. Any advise worth giving please give me your input OR HONEST OP. If not, dont waste my time with ignorance.
So I am buying a Lingenfelter oil cooler for my Formula and have heard of some space issue if you have LT's. I'm wanting this upgrade for my oil system so i can keep heat and friction down. I'm currently using RoyalPurple 15-40 full synthetic racing oil. Has anyone actually done this upgrade to thier cars and if so, did you you have LT's , and any issue with the overall performance with it?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech! SEARCH will be your best friend around here.

Most oil cooler installations are custom and every installation is different.

If Lingenfelter is offering an oil cooler kit specifically for the vehicle, a good starting point would be their instructions. Headers add the variables to the job.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Paul Bell;17522266]Welcome to LS1tech! SEARCH will be your best friend around here.

Most oil cooler installations are custom and every installation is different.

If Lingenfelter is offering an oil cooler kit specifically for the vehicle, a good starting point would be their instructions. Headers add the variables to the job.

hey paul, thanks for the info. I have searched the forums and found some stuff in relation to this upgrade. Just seems like its a hit or miss type situation. But i will continue to do some research. Thanks again
Old 07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Unless you had (or your builder decided this) the bottom end clearances built for that weight oil, you do NOT need anything that thick, ESPECIALLY with an efficient oil cooler.

ONE of the reasons for having a cooler is so that one can run a thinner weight oil, still have great protection, and also have maximum hp/tq due to less parasitic drag.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Teching In

I agree, I was however told by a very respectfull and knowledgeable builder to run this weight in oil.? Not sure why, and to be honest with you, I was thinking the same thing as far as parasitic drag goes. But it was kinda hard to question him, especially since he holds world records for engines he has built.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JONBOY_00'
I agree, I was however told by a very respectfull and knowledgeable builder to run this weight in oil.? Not sure why, and to be honest with you, I was thinking the same thing as far as parasitic drag goes. But it was kinda hard to question him, especially since he holds world records for engines he has built.
Did he build your engine?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Marc:
He was not the actual builder of the engine. He is basically my go-to-guy for questions,parts, and soon to be builder in the near future. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that as soon as I change my oil again, I will switch back to 5 or 10- w30. My cooler will be her in a week or so. I'll just hold onto it till i do an oil change(since it will already be on the lift)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input guys! By the Way... I raced a 2010 Shelby Gt 500 couple nights ago and got him by 1/2 a car...Awesomeness!!!

Last edited by JONBOY_00'; 07-10-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: keyboard mishap
Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Yay, another GT goes down!

I also think your oil is too heavy.

There's lots of great oils out there. I use German Castrol 0W-30. It really tests closer to a 10W-40. It very good stuff for an off-the-shelf oil.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Sadly, most builders (unless they REALLY DID BUILD IT FOR VERY LARGE BEARING CLEARANCES), always suggest WWAAYYY TOO THICK an oil weight. I guess it's an "old school/always did it this way" mentality.

Unless that is the case, the thickest I would run in that thing is M1 0W-40, or Red Line 0W-40, which both have a higher viscosity index than, and are thinner at all operating (and starting) temps than ANY 15W-40, regardless of who made them and whether they are synthetic or not.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Never really thought about it that way. Makes perfect sense though. I'm definately changing the weight in the next month or so. Just a quick question, Dailydriver, Paul Bell, Marc :have you guys heard anything in regards to any oil that is 10w-30 or less no longer having zinc (wich is used to help fight friction) in it? Had probably 20+ people tell me that over the last 2 yrs. Just currious.....
Old 07-14-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JONBOY_00'
Never really thought about it that way. Makes perfect sense though. I'm definately changing the weight in the next month or so. Just a quick question, Dailydriver, Paul Bell, Marc :have you guys heard anything in regards to any oil that is 10w-30 or less no longer having zinc (wich is used to help fight friction) in it? Had probably 20+ people tell me that over the last 2 yrs. Just currious.....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...on-anyone.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...comp-cams.html : ignore the morons pointing their fingers at Comp, read the oil info
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

And once again I am embarrassed for not using the search. I'll learn.

Quick Reply: 2000 formula ls1 oil cooler location