Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Camaro SS Won't Start - HELP! Fuses? Battery? Alt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Camaro SS Won't Start - HELP! Fuses? Battery? Alt?

Here's the story:

I backed my 2002 Camaro SS out of the garage to clean the interior. Let it run for 15 minutes and shut it off to continue cleaning. Started to rain so I went to start it and put it back in the garage. Had Armor All on my right hand so tried to start it with my left hand. The car behaved normally but my hand slipped off the key mid start. No big deal, went to start again with my right hand and now NOTHING. If I let the car sit a few minutes and stick the key in and only turn it far enough to turn accessories on, they all come on fine. But as soon as I try to start it, there is a big click followed by all the accessories going out and then NOTHING. If I take the key out and put it back in and turn it to accessories, the no seat belt light on the dash comes on but only partly and the ding is weak.

I checked fuses, they seem to be good. Don't have equipment to test relays for starter and ignition, bought one new one from Pep Boys and tried the new one in the Starter slot which didn't work. Swapped new relay to ignition slot and it still didn't work. Tried to jump and it didn't work.

YouTube video of me trying to jump it and exactly how it stand now, what to do?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Starter is my guess. Big click is the solinoid.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

ive owned 4 f bodies and never seen my gauges needles do that. If you have someone with you to help try turning the key and see if you are getting 12v to the starter
Old 07-06-2013, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

make sure the battery bolts are tight
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Could also be corrosion on the battery terminals. My Z28 did the same thing to me one afternoon on my lunch break a few weeks after I got it. Acted completely normal on my way to the store, went inside for a few minutes, came back out to leave, and had the same problems that you described. After being stuck for an hour and a half in front of the door at Wal-Mart at the mercy of their techs over their lunch break (I didn't have my tools in the car yet...:/), we noticed that the positive battery terminal had some corrosion built up on it when we were putting the battery back in. We cleaned it up, hooked the battery back up, and the car fired up on first try.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS Won't Start - HELP! Fuses? Battery? Alt?