Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure gauge goes from maxed out to 0

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge goes from maxed out to 0

This is for my 2003 silverado 4.8 and NOT an ls1 but they should be pretty much the same.

My oil pressure gauge pegged out one day and I figured it was the sending unit because it was just like how I broke mine on the camaro after the ls6 intake, so I thought it was just the sending unit. Then one day I noticed if I give it slightly more gas and bring the rpms up to about 3k or more it will suddenly drop to 0. Nothing will change or act differently, and after about 30 seconds or less it will go back to maxed out.

I also noticed that when I'm at highway speeds and I turn on cruise control, everytime I push the button to increase speed it will drop or increase depending on where it's at before hand. Meaning if I push the button to increase speed multiple times quickly it will bounce back and fourth rapidly.

So these now lead me to believe its not my sending unit. I'm pretty clueless about this, any help??
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Start with the sending unit, replace it. How old is the battery? Weak batteries are known to cause goofy gauge issues in these cars also.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The wife's had two Caddy CTS's (V-6 versions) and I've installed 4 new "Heche in Mexico" senders between the pair. I'd say GM's outsourcing of minor parts flat sucks...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Start with the sending unit, replace it. How old is the battery? Weak batteries are known to cause goofy gauge issues in these cars also.
I was REALLY hoping it wouldn't be that because I don't wanna pull the intake manifold off of it since I never have on this truck lol the battery is somewhat new though. 6 months or so. I would think if it was the sending unit it would ONLY peg out and not jump back and fourth tho... I don't know could be wrong lol

Originally Posted by S10xGN
The wife's had two Caddy CTS's (V-6 versions) and I've installed 4 new "Heche in Mexico" senders between the pair. I'd say GM's outsourcing of minor parts flat sucks...
Lol I wouldn't think they'd use too much Mexico made stuff on the truck, says it was assembled in I think it's Ohio? Not 100% but pretty sure. Got the sticker on my door lol parts coulda been imported tho. But yea, I'd say these years are kind of a dark age in GMs quality
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone else, sounds like a sending unit.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Ill second that....
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a pain in the neck, but the sending unit can be replaced with the manifold still on. Just need the special socket, a good sense of touch, and cram your arm under the cowl.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge goes from maxed out to 0