Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the difference between GMMG and Loudmouth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok hondakiller you just went too far on a few things!!! It is ok to have a diffrent view on this subject but don't go around bashing a good exahust system. I gave him a something to consider and that was price diffrence....I didn't say GMMG is WAYYY over priced I just pointed that factor out to him to help him make his choice because price be a major concern to most people. Hell it appears you don't even have a cat-back so keep the way too negative comments out of this!!! And I know you will say "but I rode in one and it sucked" once you OWN one then you can talk.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
once you OWN one then you can talk.
Check my sig. for what I've got, but I love my exhaust. My only complaint is the drone on the hwy. Since I've got a lot of hwy driving coming up soon, I was thinking about Dynomouthing it, but I've changed my mind. I really, really like the sound and I've gotten tons of compliments on it.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Check my sig. for what I've got, but I love my exhaust. My only complaint is the drone on the hwy. Since I've got a lot of hwy driving coming up soon, I was thinking about Dynomouthing it, but I've changed my mind. I really, really like the sound and I've gotten tons of compliments on it.
I recently put a dynomax 18" bullet in place of the so called Loudmouth resonator and it made a huge difference. Has a nice low rumble at idle and doesn't drone while cruising. I don't know how everyone defines a resonator, but the loudmouth resonator is nothing more than a 15" extruded section of the pipe. Anyone planning on a longtube install, plan on replacing the LM resonator with something else.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup I agree after an LT install a bullet muffler is a great cost effective solution to the rasp and drone you will get. I guess I don't mind a little drone(at cruising speeds it's not bad) on the highway because to me that is a nice exahust note, and obvously that is just my opinion. I must say my favorite thing is when i'm on the highway going up a slight grade and you hit about 1800 rpm I can see people look in their morror to see what is coming.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Ok hondakiller you just went too far on a few things!!! It is ok to have a diffrent view on this subject but don't go around bashing a good exahust system. I gave him a something to consider and that was price diffrence....I didn't say GMMG is WAYYY over priced I just pointed that factor out to him to help him make his choice because price be a major concern to most people. Hell it appears you don't even have a cat-back so keep the way too negative comments out of this!!! And I know you will say "but I rode in one and it sucked" once you OWN one then you can talk.

might wanna check that sig again, theres a borla catback in there. im not bashing a good exhaust system, im bashing the loudmouth . i didnt say gmmg was overpriced either, whered you get that from? i did ride in one and it did suck, thats where my comments are coming from. nothing wrong with wanting a loud car but there are much much better ways to go about it that running straight pipes. this isnt the 60's, glasspacks arent cool anymore.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hondakiller
might wanna check that sig again, theres a borla catback in there. im not bashing a good exhaust system, im bashing the loudmouth . i didnt say gmmg was overpriced either, whered you get that from? i did ride in one and it did suck, thats where my comments are coming from. nothing wrong with wanting a loud car but there are much much better ways to go about it that running straight pipes. this isnt the 60's, glasspacks arent cool anymore.

Maybe not to you...But maybe it is to others. Maybe thats the way they want it. Everyone has different opinions.

I for one LOVE LM. And i love the rasp and drone w/ an ORY and LTs. Scares the bajeezes out of everyone!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
[/U]

Maybe not to you...But maybe it is to others. Maybe thats the way they want it. Everyone has different opinions.

I for one LOVE LM. And i love the rasp and drone w/ an ORY and LTs. Scares the bajeezes out of everyone!
yeah I have only heard one loudmouth in person but I was in my car and it sounded much better than my Magnaflow does in my opinion that is, but I don't have long tube headers, I just have shorty headers and a SLP y-pipe so I am thinking the slp system may work well for me, so from what I read a few messages up the loudmouths resonator is really nothing but a bigger pipe? is that right? I was always curious what was actually in that part, lol, thanks everyone for the honest opinions on this, that's what I wanted.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the resinator is just a larger pipe...you could eaisly drop a tennis ball through it..lol. And hondakiller I could only WISH it were the 60's!!! Yes I now see you have a borla but I have no idea what you see on your screen for a sig but I see a bunch of crap on there that makes it very hard to read, it's like you tried to use smilies or something but instead of an image it just spells it out??? BTW LT's,ORP and borla = horrible rasp, but then again LT's ORP are hard to tame with any system!!! Enjoy
Old 05-03-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GMMG is not a dimpled resonator, it's actually 2 chambered style pipes like the old Corvettes and Shelby Cobras ran. Part of what makes the system so expensive is that it is all Stainless steel. I think it runs about $750 for the system with slash cut tips and it's $850 for the oval tips. Yeah, it's pricey but IMO the GMMG just has a cleaner sound, especially when LT's are added to the setup.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
The GMMG is not a dimpled resonator, it's actually 2 chambered style pipes like the old Corvettes and Shelby Cobras ran. Part of what makes the system so expensive is that it is all Stainless steel. I think it runs about $750 for the system with slash cut tips and it's $850 for the oval tips. Yeah, it's pricey but IMO the GMMG just has a cleaner sound, especially when LT's are added to the setup.
oh I see, that makes sense on the resonator, I have seen what your talking about on the older vettes but never did know what the resonator part of the loudmouth actually was, thanks everyone!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gmmg for slash cut tips is 700 bucks 850 for premium, last i checked. screw 150 bucks for damn tips
Old 05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White2000Z28
oh I see, that makes sense on the resonator, I have seen what your talking about on the older vettes but never did know what the resonator part of the loudmouth actually was, thanks everyone!
I guess I should have clarified that, the GMMG is chambered pipes, where the LM is just a resonator.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

hye I just got my GMMG and I must admit its the best I have heard! Wow I really couldnt believe it one of the best decisions I have made with the car!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

if money is a issue i definitely say SLP LM w/ an aftermarket Y...however if it is not an issue GMMG is the best

oh and i say aftermarket Y bcuz i had done it and it sounds a bit more throaty then the stock "flat" Y-pipe does with LM...and the midpipe will have better flow....i think it was worth it

i see quality like this for both performance and sound (this is just my opinion)
1 GMMG
2 True Duals
3 LM

then probably Borla, Magnaflow and then whatevers left

but anywyas...GMMG for sure would be the best...if money the issue SLP
hope it helps...

-Adam
Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at my sig. My favorite mod so far has been the GMMG
Old 05-06-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my take...

GMMG has a wonderful deep muscle car sound all the way to redline on a car with headers and highflow cats that is simply badA$$ while the SLP Loudmouth just sounds like A$$ with that same set-up on any LS1. Without cats, I don't like the way the GMMG sounds, but damn, the SLP LM sounds absolutely horrible (super raspy and unrefined) on this motor that way!

If you can afford it, go with the GMMG as the SLP LM is just loud noise without any tone IMHO. And BTW, the GMMG actually flows every bit as well as the SLP LM...

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I myself was looking to create as much noise as possible, cuz Im an obnoxious, immature 21 year old college student who doesnt give a **** about annoying old people...well thats what my dad said when he heard my LM for the first time I love the sound of the LM, but once I get LT's and a head & cam package I will most likely go with the GMMG, but no way will I pay that much ******* money for their tips
Old 05-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Ive got the SLP LM and I absolutely love it. Ive heard though that I will have to swap that resonator out when I get my QTP's.Cuz it'll sound like a freakin nascar! But I will be runnig a catted Y. Just how bad does it sound? I mean, I love loudass obnoxious drone, but will it be too much? I only drive her on the weekends anyway. Me and my buddy get a kick outta how it sounds.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds sweet at WOT, just higher pitch then the GMMG. its really raspy at about 1800 rpm or so like its really annoying. but with cats on there u should be strait
Old 05-06-2004, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

The difference between the 2 is GMMG is for the rich man, LM is for the poor man.
LM = $320 or a used for prolly $240 easily.
GMMG = $650 w/o tips $750 w/ tips and you won't be lucky enough to find a used one.