Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks True Duals - Clamps/Welding

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my set a little while ago and all of my pipes slide in to bottom out on the expanded portion. If yours arent going in the whole way I would say to get a pipe expander and just open up the female end of the pipes a hair at a time until they fit flush. After that use an impact to crank down the clamps. If you are still getting leaks a trick I've come up with is to use a wrap or two of exhaust tape under the clamp to make a gasket like covering that wont mess up the pipes.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I got my set a little while ago and all of my pipes slide in to bottom out on the expanded portion. If yours arent going in the whole way I would say to get a pipe expander and just open up the female end of the pipes a hair at a time until they fit flush. After that use an impact to crank down the clamps. If you are still getting leaks a trick I've come up with is to use a wrap or two of exhaust tape under the clamp to make a gasket like covering that wont mess up the pipes.
Prior to putting the system on my car I assembled it to ensure everything seated completely. The pipe that goes left after the axle is the only one I had an issue with. It would not slide over the axle pipe at all and I had to do a ton of expanding with a pipe expander to get it on. I beat the **** out of every joint with a big rubber mallet so I'm pretty confident on the seating. So far no leaks that I can see
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was in the process of installing my kooks headers and true duals. im not that impressed so far with the fit especially for the money. i had to put a dent in the passenger side primary to clear the k-member because it was touching it. wasnt about to have them make me a new set and wait a month for it to get powdercoated all over again lol.

now that the headers are bolted up, i am installing the exhaust and it seems like at some of the joints the pipes are almost too short where they wont go all the way into the expanded portions. the main area is by the x-pipe where it joins with the pipes coming off the headers. I have to basically use force to pull the two downpipes together towards the middle of the car just so that the x-pipe will be sliding over the downpipes enough to not have any potential air leaks. any way around this at all?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
i was in the process of installing my kooks headers and true duals. im not that impressed so far with the fit especially for the money. i had to put a dent in the passenger side primary to clear the k-member because it was touching it. wasnt about to have them make me a new set and wait a month for it to get powdercoated all over again lol.

now that the headers are bolted up, i am installing the exhaust and it seems like at some of the joints the pipes are almost too short where they wont go all the way into the expanded portions. the main area is by the x-pipe where it joins with the pipes coming off the headers. I have to basically use force to pull the two downpipes together towards the middle of the car just so that the x-pipe will be sliding over the downpipes enough to not have any potential air leaks. any way around this at all?
I don't recall having issues at the x pipe but I did loosely assemble the entire system before tightening anything up. Regardless, my best friend was a large rubber mallet that I used to beat several stubborn pipes together..... maybe someone else can share a similar experience but it was by no means "easy" to fit and seat everything correctly.

Also, I had perfect header fitment.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

thanks. after a LOT of messing around i think i finally have it set up so that it wont leak. havent started it up yet still need to fully tighten everything but it took a lot of small adjustments and movements of each individual pipe to get it right.

overall its a great system just takes some time to get it right especially under the car on ramps lol. only thing that kinda sucks now is the heat tape that it comes with i went to stick it on and it wasnt even sticky lol. not sure if it was because it was cold out or not....
Old 02-17-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ I always heard it's best to clean the gas tank before you place the tape. I'm go get the exhuast soon but before I place the tape I plan on cleaning the tank off with purple power and acetone.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

ill have to do that. the tape wasnt even sticky when i touched it with my finger though. it musta been either old or frozen maybe
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe so. I plan on getting some hear tape from jegs or summit.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Baconz28
Maybe so. I plan on getting some hear tape from jegs or summit.
I've still got the stock gas tank shield but once I get my MWC fab 9" I'll be using tape as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Launching!

thanks. after a LOT of messing around i think i finally have it set up so that it wont leak. havent started it up yet still need to fully tighten everything but it took a lot of small adjustments and movements of each individual pipe to get it right.

overall its a great system just takes some time to get it right especially under the car on ramps lol. only thing that kinda sucks now is the heat tape that it comes with i went to stick it on and it wasnt even sticky lol. not sure if it was because it was cold out or not....
Definitely use an impact, that made a world of difference for me over a breaker bar.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

so basically get it as tight as humanly possible then?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Some additional heat tape will do wonders. I bought some for $20 and covered majority of the gas tank and its holding up fine.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

where would i get heat tape? home depot?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Jegs and summit both sells it.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I honestly got mine on Amazon. $20 for a sheet, cut it accordingly and stuck it on. I used paint thinner to clean the gas tank real good and it seems to be staying on no problem. I'll PM you when I get home with what the stuff was called.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Launching!

so basically get it as tight as humanly possible then?
That was my strategy

Originally Posted by mac62989
I honestly got mine on Amazon. $20 for a sheet, cut it accordingly and stuck it on. I used paint thinner to clean the gas tank real good and it seems to be staying on no problem. I'll PM you when I get home with what the stuff was called.
I'm interested in this as well. I'm considering taking off my stock heat shield this weekend since I get slight vibrations from my exhaust and the shield occasionally.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Just how much tape is really needed to be on the "safe" side ?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

oh ok thanks ill take a look on those sites
Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I ordered Thermo-Tec Adhesive backed heat barrier. It was 12x24 and I used most of it but just covered up alot of the gas tank to be sure. You dont need a whole lot but a hell of a lot more than what is provided with the TD's. It stuck really well after cleaning the tank up. You can get it at a local auto store too, I know Advanced Auto carriers it but they were out of stock when I went so I grabbed it on Amazon. Its around $20.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

oh cool i have an advanced auto near me ill check that out first

Quick Reply: Kooks True Duals - Clamps/Welding