Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks True Duals - Clamps/Welding

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you could always just have somebody weld on some V-band's with the lip/seal and add some copper spray....
they seal up good enough for Turbos and superchargers....should not be an issue on regular exhaust
Old 02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted a similar thread asking for ideas on how to stop leaks with band clamps and didn't get any good ones. I asked my dad and his old hot rod buddies and they said put some tin foil underneath the clamp. I did and it solved the problem.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
I posted a similar thread asking for ideas on how to stop leaks with band clamps and didn't get any good ones. I asked my dad and his old hot rod buddies and they said put some tin foil underneath the clamp. I did and it solved the problem.
surprisingly...tin foil works pretty good usually...
you have to do a few layers of it...basically making a compressed aluminum gasket....
Old 07-11-2015, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default welding

is there anyone in the immediate nyc or ct area that can weld with the stainless wire and helium mix?

main reason i want to get my system welded is because the small area where the two pipes go over the axle where they are connected together with the two bolts, the weld there cracked on one side and its making an annoying vibration.

second reason is i do have some tiny leaks in the exhaust that id like to get rid of because i can hear them.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soundengineer
if you use 75/25 argon co2, your stainless will rust...lose most of its corrosion resistance
you need to use the 90% Helium mix
I have 7 year old stainless welds on a y pipe that I used 75/25 on with zero rust. In fact I weld everything with my 75/25 and stainless wire. Everything looks great and no rust. Never had a leak or broken weld. Granted it isn't passing a dye or radiation inspection anytime It's also just exhaust so take it for what its worth!

To the original poster just use heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap it around the joint several times covering both sides then use a band clamp. Tighten it down per torque specs no leaks ever!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by got milk??
I have 7 year old stainless welds on a y pipe that I used 75/25 on with zero rust. In fact I weld everything with my 75/25 and stainless wire. Everything looks great and no rust. Never had a leak or broken weld. Granted it isn't passing a dye or radiation inspection anytime It's also just exhaust so take it for what its worth!

To the original poster just use heavy duty aluminum foil and wrap it around the joint several times covering both sides then use a band clamp. Tighten it down per torque specs no leaks ever!
dam if you werent so far away id see if i can pay you to weld it for me. anyone know anywhere in the ny or ct area that welds stainless exhaust?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

3yrs later no leaks with mine...factory clamps tightned with a impact.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I might still have a couple very slight leaks towards the rear of the exhaust but at this point I'm okay with it. The plan is to take the whole exhaust off when I install my fab 9 and tweak the fitment so I might use the foil trick when I do that.

Regardless, letting the impact hammer each bolt for about 20 seconds seemed to get rid of 90% of the leaks.

Quick Reply: Kooks True Duals - Clamps/Welding