Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L33 5.3 Vortec Swap Idle Issues in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L33 5.3 Vortec Swap Idle Issues in need of help

I put a l33 5.3 vortec in a volvo and its done! sort of...

I have a high idle and hanging idle problem. You start the car it jumps up to 2500-3000 for several seconds then drops down to 1500rpm and holds. Touch the throttle and it hangs again 2500-3000rpm for several seconds then drops again never seen it below 1200.

I have checked for vacuum leaks twice. Replaced intake manifold gaskets, tb gaskets. It is an 05 silverado pull out with a drive by cable throttle body conversion with two pre cat 02 sensors that are ok, no current codes. If you unplug the IAC and TPS it makes no difference to the idle. Tried a relearn and removed battery with no effect. What scares me (otherwise I would drive to see if it improves as seems to be common with this problem) is the "timing" is -10 degrees and the "engine load" is 30-40% at idle the headers are read hot after a couple of minutes. Any one ever have this problem after a swap or can offer advice?

Ive seen several posts on this but non are conclusive and no one mentions timing and load issues
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=volverado;17984330]I put a l33 5.3 vortec in a volvo and its done! sort of...

I have a high idle and hanging idle problem. You start the car it jumps up to 2500-3000 for several seconds then drops down to 1500rpm and holds. Touch the throttle and it hangs again 2500-3000rpm for several seconds then drops again never seen it below 1200.

I have checked for vacuum leaks twice. Replaced intake manifold gaskets, tb gaskets. It is an 05 silverado pull out with a drive by cable throttle body conversion with two pre cat 02 sensors that are ok, no current codes. If you unplug the IAC and TPS it makes no difference to the idle. Tried a relearn and removed battery with no effect. What scares me (otherwise I would drive to see if it improves as seems to be common with this problem) is the "timing" is -10 degrees and the "engine load" is 30-40% at idle the headers are read hot after a couple of minutes. Any one ever have this problem after a swap or can offer advice?

Ive seen several posts on this but non are conclusive and no one mentions timing and load issues[/QUOTE

Have you considered the possibility of a bad IAC & TPS sensor? when you pulled the motor before the swap how did the motor run? Was there any chance that the harness could have some damaged plugs like the plug to the TPS or TAC or on the harness going to the electronic accelerator pedal?

Im assuming its still all drive by wire.

Quick Reply: L33 5.3 Vortec Swap Idle Issues in need of help