Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles on the crank pulley ? if a lot the groves of the crank pulley could be wide enough to slip a little .maybe spray the crank pulley with belt conditioner .
Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
See if theres is a spot that you can sight across the front edges of the belt as it passes across from side to side. Or, If you can get a straightedge on there contacting it at 3 points. The belt edges should be all flat to each other, IE all in one plane.
Especially try to see how it runs around the water pump, as it not running in a groove there and will find its own path if there is misalignment.

On my setup I could see that the belt was about an 1/8" rearward on the Wpump and that led me to check out the Steering pump. On the F-body belt routing, I would be real suspicious of the alternator position and how the belt runs off it and around the idler to the crank. The squeaks generally happen when the belt is entering the pulley, as opposed to leaving it.
For me the alternator looks like it out a little more than the P.S. pump. All of my chirping started when I replaced the alternator.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
For me the alternator looks like it out a little more than the P.S. pump. All of my chirping started when I replaced the alternator.
Did you use the rear support bolt?

garygnu, I've got 260,000 miles on it.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't remember. I replaced the alternator about Nov. 2013. So I have had the chirping for sometime.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
I can't remember. I replaced the alternator about Nov. 2013. So I have had the chirping for sometime.
I had left mine off ... but put it back on this morning. I couldn't thread it in until I loosened the other 3 bolts and lifted the rear which tells me that the angular alignment was off slightly on the alternator. Belt still chirps ... so my thinking is that I should be good to go with a new belt now. Seems that once a belt chirps, even after correcting alignment and replacing parts, it won't stop until replacing belt as well. I won't put a new belt on it until I verify alignment with the tool that is coming in tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a GM bullitin about replacing the alternator bracket with a new bracket because of an alignment issue. I bought the bracket years ago and just a week ago i installed the new braket to the alternator. It was fairly easy to remove bracket from the alternator, you do not need to remove the alternator as it is held on by another bolt that you do not need to remove.

Installed a dayco belt, after putting on a new water pump and alternator bracket, the chirp started again loud after starting the car. Drove the car 15 minutes, squeek went away and been away for a week now, problem solved.

Before this i was replacing the serpintine belt with a GM belt, which did remove the squeek noise, was doing this twice and sometimes once a year. Good luck.

heres the pn# for the alternator bracket that gm said fixes the squeek

photos upload

upload gif from url
Old 04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So let's hear how that tool is working out and the results you found?

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I won't put a new belt on it until I verify alignment with the tool that is coming in tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So let's hear how that tool is working out and the results you found?
I got the tool over the weekend and checked all pulleys. It's a nice tool. I used the crank as the reference. That's where the laser transmitter sits. I aimed it at at each pulley and the receiver sits there. Everything was dead on - alignment-wise. I only checked the main drive pulleys.

The only thing that is questionable is the power steering pump's pulley. It has a fair amount of play in and out; I'm not sure if that's the problem. I wired brushed the grooved side of my gates belt and the noise was completely gone for a day or two and now I have occasional chirps. That's where I'm at.

How is everyone else coming along. Do others have much in/out play on the power steering pump pulley? i can measure it - if that helps.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

that new bracket NEEDS the corresponding pulley...the P/N of the new pulley is in the TSB......did the new alt have the CORRECT pulley on it? my new alt did not have the CORRECT pulley .....good thing i caught it

i ended up replacing the belts and all pulleys to get my squeak gone

got my gatorbacks off rock auto..........i will never use another belt again
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98boxer
There was a GM bullitin about replacing the alternator bracket with a new bracket because of an alignment issue. I bought the bracket years ago and just a week ago i installed the new braket to the alternator. It was fairly easy to remove bracket from the alternator, you do not need to remove the alternator as it is held on by another bolt that you do not need to remove.

Installed a dayco belt, after putting on a new water pump and alternator bracket, the chirp started again loud after starting the car. Drove the car 15 minutes, squeek went away and been away for a week now, problem solved.

Before this i was replacing the serpintine belt with a GM belt, which did remove the squeek noise, was doing this twice and sometimes once a year. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I saw the part for 45.00 on gmpartsdirect and also for over 100.00 on ebay. I'll gladly pay the 45.00 to shut it up.

This has turned into quite the money pit and I'm still throwing money at it. There's a little voice in my head telling me to put just a little bit of belt dressing on it. I WILL NOT! I've done it in the past and it just leaves you will a sticky chirpy mess.

Last edited by TA_Freak; 04-03-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Can someone please post the TSB, or a link to it, or at least the TSB document ID? TIA!

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
that new bracket NEEDS the corresponding pulley...the P/N of the new pulley is in the TSB......did the new alt have the CORRECT pulley on it? my new alt did not have the CORRECT pulley .....good thing i caught it

i ended up replacing the belts and all pulleys to get my squeak gone

got my gatorbacks off rock auto..........i will never use another belt again
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

There is a GM bulletin: #08-06-01-008: Diagnosing Accessory Drive Belt/Serpentine Belt Noise and Availability and Use of Kent-Moore EN-49228 Laser Alignment Tool - Drive Belt - (Mar 27, 2008)

Interestingly in that document they say "Observe and mark the serpentine belt orientation.
Remove the serpentine belt from the accessory drive system.
Install the tool onto the power steering pulley. Position the legs of the tool into the outer grooves of the pulley, farthest from the front of the engine.
Install the retaining cord around the pulley and to the legs of the tool. Put on the laser safety glasses provided with the tool.
Depress the switch on the rear of the tool to activate the light beam.
Rotate the power steering pulley as required to project the light beam onto the crankshaft balancer pulley grooves.
Inspect for proper power steering pulley alignment.
• If the laser beam projects onto the second rib or raised area (1), the pulleys are aligned properly.

• If the laser beam projects more than one-quarter rib 0.9 mm (0.035 in) mis-alignment, adjust the position of the power steering pulley as required.

• Refer to SI for Power Steering Pulley Removal and Installation procedures.

Install the serpentine belt to the accessory drive system in the original orientation.
Operate the vehicle and verify that the belt noise concern is no longer present. "

I got the tool over the weekend and checked all pulleys. It's a nice tool. I used the crank as the reference. That's where the laser transmitter sits. I aimed it at at each pulley and the receiver sits there. Everything was dead on - alignment-wise. I only checked the main drive pulleys.

The only thing that is questionable is the power steering pump's pulley. It has a fair amount of play in and out; I'm not sure if that's the problem. I wired brushed the grooved side of my gates belt and the noise was completely gone for a day or two and now I have occasional chirps. That's where I'm at.

How is everyone else coming along. Do others have much in/out play on the power steering pump pulley? i can measure it - if that helps.

Don't do it, as GM says:
"Notice: Do not use belt dressing on the drive belt. Belt dressing causes the breakdown of the composition of the drive belt. Failure to follow this recommendation will damage the drive belt."

There's a little voice in my head telling me to put just a little bit of belt dressing on it. I WILL NOT! I've done it in the past and it just leaves you will a sticky chirpy mess.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-03-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I saw the part for 45.00 on gmpartsdirect and also for over 100.00 on ebay. I'll gladly pay the 45.00 to shut it up.

This has turned into quite the money pit and I'm still throwing money at it. There's a little voice in my head telling me to put just a little bit of belt dressing on it. I WILL NOT! I've done it in the past and it just leaves you will a sticky chirpy mess.
Its been a week now and all is good. When you put the pulley back on make sure it is on all the way in. First time i ever got the squeek i used belt dressing and it only help for a small time, plus its messy.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been over this before in several threads.

Your noise is not caused by an alignment issue. It is not caused by a pulley bearing, or any accessory.

Typical belt chirp on a serpentine belt drive is caused by dirt. Dirt gets embedded into the belt and the pulley grooves causing the noise. Fluids like coolant and belt dressing (don't get me started on that useless crap) make matters worse.

If you want the noise gone, you need to replace the belt(s) and clean the pulley grooves thoroughly. There are a few methods you can use to clean the belt if it's still in good condition, but your best bet is to replace it with a quality part.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my Gatorback belt today. Before I put it on I did me best to clean the pulleys. So far so good. Lets see how this work in a week or 2.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28

Your noise is not caused by an alignment issue. It is not caused by a pulley bearing, or any accessory.

Typical belt chirp on a serpentine belt drive is caused by dirt. Dirt gets embedded into the belt and the pulley grooves causing the noise. Fluids like coolant and belt dressing (don't get me started on that useless crap) make matters worse.

If you want the noise gone, you need to replace the belt(s) and clean the pulley grooves thoroughly. There are a few methods you can use to clean the belt if it's still in good condition, but your best bet is to replace it with a quality part.
I've got a new Gatorback belt that chirps like a banshee. What's your suggestion for cleaning it? The belt that I have on it now is an older gates that is quiet most of the time. I wire brushed that one.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good way to clean some of the upper ones is to take a bar of soap and lightly drag it across the belt and pulleys while the engine is idling. Usually the belt stops chirping or squeaking almost immediately.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
GM issued a TSB about belt noise. Seems that some p/s pulleys were not pressed to the correct depth.
I had this same issue w/ my LQ4. I found that the pulley had to be flush w/ the shaft. Mine had been off, and wasn't back to flush. [MAYBE, a 1/16- 3/32"]. Pulled it on to flush... no more noise.
BTW, this was after 3 belts, shims on the KWIK brkt, sanded pulleys, Aftrmkt tensioner.

same deal for me. PS pulley was proud by tiny bit. broke down and got the installer/remover and it went on one-half turn further. quiet as any other serpentine set up. after a coupla belts, tensioners etc…now i have some spares lol
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28

Not correct. Belt noise can most certainly be caused by alignment issues, especially serpentine multi groove belts. Since it sounds like a noisy bearing, it can also be caused by a dry bearing and/or if it's not aligned properly. Been there done that. If one swaps out the power steering pump and doesn't press the pulley on properly, the alignment is off. Throw another belt on it like that and it will be quiet for a short time until it wears pre-maturely and you're right back where you started.

In my case I had an alignment and belt issue. I was able to get the alignment correct on my alternator AND clean the water pump pulley. That took care of the alignment. I knew it was an alignment problem due to the fact that I could lightly spray water on ONLY the grooved side of the belt and the noise would disappear.

I also know that merely replacing the belt won't fix it if the alignment is off. I have a brand new Gatorback belt that was never quiet. It was installed when my alignment was still off.

The key is to verify that there are no dry bearings, get/verifiy the alignment/correct it AND replace the belt.

Last edited by TA_Freak; 04-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
GM issued a TSB about belt noise. Seems that some p/s pulleys were not pressed to the correct depth.
I had this same issue w/ my LQ4. I found that the pulley had to be flush w/ the shaft. Mine had been off, and wasn't back to flush. [MAYBE, a 1/16- 3/32"]. Pulled it on to flush... no more noise.
BTW, this was after 3 belts, shims on the KWIK brkt, sanded pulleys, Aftrmkt tensioner.
Interesting and consistent with what Old Geezer said...... my high pressure power steering hose started leaking a couple of weeks ago, so I had to remove the pulley to replace it. My belt had been chirping a bit prior to doing the work but after pressing the pulley back, not a peep out of it.

Quick Reply: Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!