Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replaced everything but the tensioner. Until i get a Katech tensioner I spray it with No-Touch tire cleaner, works well for about a month.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Teching In

OK here we go after long time not posting about our common belt squeaking/alternator chirping sounds. Having 2 of these like cars (99 Firehawk-6M an 01 WS-6 6M) here is my story. Replaced the 2 belts, 2 idlers, and 2 tensioners on the WSW-6 a couple years ago and no problem since. Now chirping starts on the Hawk so I change all the same items and the noise is still there. Checked alignment, cleaned the pulleys, mounting shaft depths, etc. So after reading all the threads I decided to replace the alternator. OK, replaced the alternator with rebuilt from AZ. Same noise, WTF. Put old alternator back on and of course noise still present. NOW WHAT? Here's where the self kicking *** started. I checked the PS pump reservoir. It was way low. Filled it to correct level and WHAZOO the noise disappeared. Did not want to post a reply too soon and gave it some time to prove/disapprove "The Fix". Been over a month now and quiet as a mouse. My story. Hope it helps someone.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

SO to not start a new thread I jumped on this one. My power steering was the problem that the fella I got the car from gave up on. Gooed up the whole belt system as he just kept putting fluid into a Bad pump. Or so he thought. It was the high pressure hose leaking right out the front. He said it killed his alternator and he was not going to replace that again. Anyway- cleaned it all up and the pulleys.fixed the leak and new belt. Bam! Squeaking when cold. So it could be the alternator bracket?
Old 11-03-2018, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

I had a serious belt squeal on my track Miata since it doesn't have a tensioner. What worked for me was to spray the belt while running with Zaino tire dressing (or 303 vinyl dressing). Belt squeal solved.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

How long did that work?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

All summer. Car is in the trailer for winter now.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:39 AM
Staging Lane

That is good news. That stuff is not cheap though. Where do you find a good deal on that? So I removed the alternator to check the brackets for breakage and they are ok. I cleaned the pulley and ran some light sand paper through the grooves at high speed. I think I see some runout in the harmonic balancer. I guess 150,000 miles and a leaking steering line,for who knows how long, could have affected the rubber but it wobbles ever so slightly. Not good for the crank I would imagine either.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I went with a manual belt tensioner, new idler, and a gatorback belt to fix my chirping. The gatorbacks are quiet because they allow the belt to move with alignment issues rather then fighting the belt. So rather then throwing money at an alignment problem I think its better to throw money at a belt that doesnt care about alignment as much as factory belts. If it chips with a gatorback then get out a spray bottle of water, find the shortest belt span between pulleys and spray it (good place to start), if it squeals more when sprayed then its tension related (low tenstion), if less then its probably alignment. Usually the shortest belt span will cause the noise if its not just a messed up old pulley or idler bearing. I run gatorbacks on everything now, got tired of chirping belts!
Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Intrigued. Manual tensioner? My tensioner does have a wee bit of slop but I worked it tighter and looser and nothing helped. I DO have a cheap ebay belt as the one on there was melted from steering fluid. It was fine for two days. Go figure. Where do you get a Gatorback?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

I got the LSX innovations manual tensioner and then a CONTINENTAL 4060790 belt. "quiet channel" technology is the same as gatorback.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered the LSX tensioner as I needed one anyway. Looking for a deal on the belt.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

I'd like to hear how your belt fits, install is easy but I had to put the pulley on the belt and pull it to get it on the bracket of the tensioner with the adjustment all the way down. I found a part number on autozone or something and found a old stock belt. But it was like the belt was an inch or two too small. I don't mind because it fits snug as can be, manual tensioners get mixed reviews but mine has been great so far and its seen the track for 3 passes.

Rock auto has that continental belt I think.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:03 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so After some thought I cancelled the manual tensioner and am going to try the belt and possibly a harmonic balancer after seeing the slight wobble again.My alternator did have the rear bracket and I am going to go ahead and clean it up as much as I can and reinstall it. I still have the stock pulley on my steering pump but heard it was a composite material and that it can be switched to a steel unit off of a V6 Firebird. I am a bit strapped for cash so I have to be very careful on my purchases to hopefully hide them from my wifey...
Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

i got a new balancer. Can I change this thing out without removing the radiator?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Default Back from the dead

I took the belt off , fired the engine up and used a stiff wire brush on the balancer, so far no noise .
Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Thanks for the info. I saw the part for 45.00 on gmpartsdirect and also for over 100.00 on ebay. I'll gladly pay the 45.00 to shut it up.

This has turned into quite the money pit and I'm still throwing money at it. There's a little voice in my head telling me to put just a little bit of belt dressing on it. I WILL NOT! I've done it in the past and it just leaves you will a sticky chirpy mess.

You can try a glob of dielectric grease. Works but might not be permanent. OK, I've been told this isn't a good idea as it will make the belt slippery.

Last edited by wannafbody; 06-05-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok lots of good info on this thread. I too have been fighting the squeaky belt bs. I finally solved my belt squeak problem. I pinpointed the squeak coming from the water pump pulley. I did all the common things Ive see on all these posts and the squeal always came back. Then one day I got to thinking about it. I realized that the back of the belt feeds under the water pump pulley so I thought what if I cleaned the backside of the belt with a toothbrush and some degreaser? I tried it and what do you know it made a difference but the squeak eventually came back but not as bad. The next thing I wanted to try is sand the water pump pulley but not smooth I wanted to rough it up the back side of the belt is smooth already so to me smooth and smooth equals squeak. I sanded the pulley to make it rough cleaned the back of the belt with degreaser and its been 6months zero squeak.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

That is good news. Keep us updated. I tried that too. I cleaned all the pulleys and roughed up the water pump pulley. It did not seem to work. I had a brand new super cheap ebay belt so I went ahead and took my 4" grinder and very carefully cut angled grooves across the ribs every 1/2" or so. Squeal was gone. I did not run it for very long this way but it was definitely gone as it was most prevalent on first start up. I most likely will toss the belt when I get this back on the road after the swap into my 72 Blazer. I will run it for a while (during testing in my driveway) on this belt just to test it for squeal. I am going to run an aftermarket AC and bracket up high so it will get a longer belt anyway but I will use this one for a baseline before the conversion to see if the conversion squeals and should be able to pinpoint from there which is the issue if there is one.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is old but anyone running ICT power steering and alternator brackets with a squeaking problem check your alignment with a straight edge-I changed the water pump twice changed the alternator both pulley’s and the squeaking was still there until I realized with a straight edge the power steering pump was out a 1/8” so I machined the 3 aluminum spacers .10 and no more squeaking-lesson learned
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-31-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone else have any long term results?

Quick Reply: Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!