Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!

This is a continuation of this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post18094491 but it's a new thread due to it never being an alternator problem.

Bottom line is I had an alignment issue. I swapped all the pulleys on the main drive and the alternator and the tensioner... not to mention a new gatorback belt.

The fix:
Removed the belt, wire brushed the PS pump pulley grooves, and sanded the water pump pulley until totally smooth. I think that was the cause of the alignment problems. While the car was running without the belt installed, I carefully inserted a flat head screwdriver in each groove of the crank pulleys (for both belts), essentially cleaning them. Installed belts and the screaming banshee is DEAD!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
This is a continuation of this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post18094491 but it's a new thread due to it never being an alternator problem.

Bottom line is I had an alignment issue. I swapped all the pulleys on the main drive and the alternator and the tensioner... not to mention a new gatorback belt.

The fix:
Removed the belt, wire brushed the PS pump pulley grooves, and sanded the water pump pulley until totally smooth. I think that was the cause of the alignment problems. While the car was running without the belt installed, I carefully inserted a flat head screwdriver in each groove of the crank pulleys (for both belts), essentially cleaning them. Installed belts and the screaming banshee is DEAD!!!
Good to hear you got the problem fixed. I will try these things on my car.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm I wonder if this is the issue I have with my car, been having the chirp noise at cold start for quite awhile now.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did all the things you did to fix yours, and this worked for me also. Thanks TA Freak for posted your fix.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

I will try this as well I have the same exact problem. I replaced all the idler and tensioner pulleys and both belts are brand new and it still chirps when cold....thanks for the tip I will see if it fixes my problem
Old 03-22-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
I did all the things you did to fix yours, and this worked for me also. Thanks TA Freak for posted your fix.
Right on man... glad to hear it. It seems to me that gunk get's in the pulleys - that and the water pump pulley gets some grooves and not smooth.... so it doesn't track properly. If it comes back chirping, you may have to get a belt.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spoke to soon. I went out 10 mins ago. The chirping was back. The car was fine all day, but now that it's cool outside chirping like no tomorrow. I will try a new belt. Where are you guys getting your Goodyear gatorback belts from?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your post, I will try similar since I have the same annoying problem!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Yea mine is sporadic as well....from a cold start it chirps but once it's Warmed It Stops chirping
Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
I spoke to soon. I went out 10 mins ago. The chirping was back. The car was fine all day, but now that it's cool outside chirping like no tomorrow. I will try a new belt. Where are you guys getting your Goodyear gatorback belts from?
Sorry if I missed where you did this but have you checked the ac tensioner? I had a squeak that drove e insane. I replaced both ac pulleys, cleaned the grooves, 2 belts and it still wouldn't go away. What ended up being the cause was the tensioner. It wasn't bent or anything but the spring inside wore out causing it to not apply enough belt tension... and wala the squeak.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
Sorry if I missed where you did this but have you checked the ac tensioner? I had a squeak that drove e insane. I replaced both ac pulleys, cleaned the grooves, 2 belts and it still wouldn't go away. What ended up being the cause was the tensioner. It wasn't bent or anything but the spring inside wore out causing it to not apply enough belt tension... and wala the squeak.
It's not the ac tensioner, when I start the car for a few sec. with the main belt off no chirping. Then I have replaced them already. Which they were bad.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Check the pulleys alignment to each other, both angularly and axially. You can get a rough idea by using a straightedge across the faces.
The belt can chirp in operation if it runs into the grooves on the pulleys at anything other than near-perfect alignment. It does this as the sides of the belt grooves have to slip/slide down the sides of the pulley grooves while it is entering the pulley. It is worst when two pulleys are close together and misaligned.
I had this exact chirping problem and solved by carefull shimming of the Pwr strng pump bracket.
The following users liked this post:
floridave (10-09-2019)
Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I check the alignment today, and the alternator looks off a little. The chirping started when I replaced the alternator. I put a little water on the grooves of the belt and the chirping stops. So I think the alignment is off.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

GM issued a TSB about belt noise. Seems that some p/s pulleys were not pressed to the correct depth.
I had this same issue w/ my LQ4. I found that the pulley had to be flush w/ the shaft. Mine had been off, and wasn't back to flush. [MAYBE, a 1/16- 3/32"]. Pulled it on to flush... no more noise.
BTW, this was after 3 belts, shims on the KWIK brkt, sanded pulleys, Aftrmkt tensioner.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Uncap the long tube headers. No belt sound will be heard for miles!! LOL JK. I bet most of the time the dirt in the grooves and alignment is the prob. Also after making all the repairs, your gonna want to replace the belt, due to the old 1 being damaged by said problems.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
GM issued a TSB about belt noise. Seems that some p/s pulleys were not pressed to the correct depth.
I had this same issue w/ my LQ4. I found that the pulley had to be flush w/ the shaft. Mine had been off, and wasn't back to flush. [MAYBE, a 1/16- 3/32"]. Pulled it on to flush... no more noise.
BTW, this was after 3 belts, shims on the KWIK brkt, sanded pulleys, Aftrmkt tensioner.
That's interesting because I thought of this when I first got into the process of stopping the chirps. I looked at my power steering pulley and it's not flush but a straight edge across it and the crank is good (which doesn't mean that the grooves of the pulleys are). My chirps never went away with the gatorback belt almost new) and then did go away with the aforementioned work AND a replacement older belt (gates). Both belts visibly look perfect too. Chirping is back with the gates .... just not near as bas as when I started. I suppose a laser alignment tool would take the guessing out of where to set the ps pulley.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will get a new belt, and try to the alignment fixed.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

See if theres is a spot that you can sight across the front edges of the belt as it passes across from side to side. Or, If you can get a straightedge on there contacting it at 3 points. The belt edges should be all flat to each other, IE all in one plane.
Especially try to see how it runs around the water pump, as it not running in a groove there and will find its own path if there is misalignment.

On my setup I could see that the belt was about an 1/8" rearward on the Wpump and that led me to check out the Steering pump. On the F-body belt routing, I would be real suspicious of the alternator position and how the belt runs off it and around the idler to the crank. The squeaks generally happen when the belt is entering the pulley, as opposed to leaving it.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered the Dayco belt alignment tool with laser. I am really curious to see what's going on. I'm tired of replacing belts that really don't need replacement. I will post my results. I should have the tool on Friday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt Chirping SOLVED!!!