Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 TransAm randomly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 TransAm randomly won't start

I have a 2002 TransAm that for the last few months has an issue starting.
This happens randomly.
The dash lights up normally, but when you turn the key, it does not even try to crank.
The car is at the dealer now, its not VATS, the alarm, clutch switch, starter relay or ignition.
They believe that it is the fuel pump not making enough pressure. They are testing it now and will let me know tomorrow.

Does this sound right?

At the times it won't start I can roll the car down the driveway, pop the clutch and it starts.

It will run fine for days, then just not start one day.

This has only happened first thing in the morning.

Car is garage kept.

Any Ideas?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It does not try to crank as in when you turn the key no sound comes from the engine or it turns over but does not try to fire and run?

If it does not turn over it's something else. If it turns over (cranks) but won't start it could be the fuel pump check valve or the crank position sensor as most likely culprits.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 AM

Does not even crank, no engine turnover, no starter trying.
Dash lights/gauges don't change as they do in normal starting, ie. volt gauge drops, etc.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ktskas1
Does not even crank, no engine turnover, no starter trying.
Dash lights/gauges don't change as they do in normal starting, ie. volt gauge drops, etc.
They are checking your fuel pump because your engine wont turn over? Better take it to better shop..

Have them test the battery.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your security light flashing? This sounds like the dreaded broken ignition cylinder wires (I know you said its not this but your symptoms all point to this) If your fuel pump was burnt out your engine would still turn over just never start.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 AM

I wish the security light was flashing, then this would be so much easier.
I have all the symptoms, but no security light! (yes, the light does work)
I can verify the correct OHM reading at the connector under the dash and it stays constant as i jiggle the key, turn the cylinder back and forth, and jerk the key in and out. (obviously it drops when the key is out, but same reading when the key is back in)
Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Will the starter turn over if you jumper directly to it?
If so, you may have an open connection on the starter main power cable. This would be due to corrosion on the stater power cable terminal.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They believe that it is the fuel pump not making enough pressure. They are testing it now and will let me know tomorrow.

Does this sound right?
No they are idiots and you should get the car back before the charge you for more stupid ideas.

At the times it won't start I can roll the car down the driveway, pop the clutch and it starts.
By doing that you've proved that the fuel pump has nothing to do with it. It could be the starter solenoid, if it's not working it's not going to try to turn over.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Yessir, you have a problem in the starter circuit, not the fuel pump.

It could be as simple as a poor connection at the battery terminal. Or a poor ground. Could be a bad starter.

If you end up replacing the starter, get a replacement starter that has two long bolts, not one long and one short.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Your problem is likely the starter relay. This is located in the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side in a box with a bunch of fuses. Buy a new starter relay for $15 and plug it in. It is very likely the problem. My car did the same thing -- no crank most of the time and only start once in a while.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Launching!

I had this same problem in one of my Hondas and I checked all the relays and it ended up being a bad connection. I got my meter out and started from the ignition and worked my way to the starter. I thought it was my starter relay or my main relay nope one little bad connection in a harness plug.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I had a similar issue, ended up being fuse block that housed the ignition, fuel pump and starter relays. The block was ****, loose connections at the pins|terminals.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar issue and the problem ended up being a loose terminal connection on the positive battery terminal.

Quick Reply: 2002 TransAm randomly won't start