Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics of vibrant 3" inlet to 4" outlet 2-1 merge

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z, they're holding up great. No rust yet even with this south Texas heat/humidity and installed in a couple hours on my driveway. Thanks 2nd gen, it is my first and was a great experience. There's no words in my vocabulary to describe it. Can't wait to get her home and watch her grow. Even at a day old she's all smiles and not a fussy baby. Thanks guys
Old 06-21-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It does not make any sense to choke this piece down the way they have.This piece can be improved if they would have just cut it at the butt joint and then slip it back farther in the Y . You will get a better transition from oval to the round and a wider throat area. I don't know why they don't make them , they already have round to oval transitions. There is another way to do this but more fab skill involved , which is splitting the heels of the Y and pulling them back and then welding in flat sections to top and bottom leading to the round. There would be some coping required on first method and some shaping on the second.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
It does not make any sense to choke this piece down the way they have.This piece can be improved if they would have just cut it at the butt joint and then slip it back farther in the Y . You will get a better transition from oval to the round and a wider throat area. I don't know why they don't make them , they already have round to oval transitions. There is another way to do this but more fab skill involved , which is splitting the heels of the Y and pulling them back and then welding in flat sections to top and bottom leading to the round. There would be some coping required on first method and some shaping on the second.
It is designed that way to create velocity. Take a look at ARH headers and you will see that the collectors on their headers have the same style of this design. I can tell you this, it is a proven piece.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd love to see the this merge collector tested against a well built 2 into 1 like the flowmaster. Obviously the merge collector design works (nascar) but it needs to be designed and tested. You can't just put it together and hope it works. Most companies don't have the budget to test and may or may not have a good understanding of what makes the merge collector work.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That'd be a cool test, vibrant is a well known company (mainly in the tuner world). Either way it'll work better than the kooks merge. I was hoping to have it installed this weekend but its in hold for now. Debating on a dynomax bullet or a borla xr1 but dang they're pricey so might take the cheaper route and throw a qtp manual cutout on it to save a few $.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
I'd love to see the this merge collector tested against a well built 2 into 1 like the flowmaster. Obviously the merge collector design works (nascar) but it needs to be designed and tested. You can't just put it together and hope it works. Most companies don't have the budget to test and may or may not have a good understanding of what makes the merge collector work.
I too would like to see this merge tested against flowmaster. I would be very surprised if it was close to flowmaster in performance. While I'm not a fan of most flowmaster stuff this is one of best mergs out there. There is definitely a flaw in this design. If the other poster has some results of this merge , being tested or proven to out preform any others please post.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One might have a benefit over the other, but only testing under controlled conditions could confirm that. Furthermore, it would have to be done by a third party that has no affiliation with either company. I've seen a fair amount of threads about going to a better Y-pipe merger, but they always seem include a larger exit on the merger so none of these threads have any info that would help say one (Vibrant vs. Flowmaster) is better that the other as far as exhaust flow. If you want a good example of what works just look at what the top header manufactures use. If anything the design of the Vibrant should help produce a better torque curve, compared to the Flowmaster.

BTW, I'd also like to see a good comparison between the two!

Quick Reply: pics of vibrant 3" inlet to 4" outlet 2-1 merge