Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX - Why all the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX - Why all the hype?

I have been reading a lot of good things about the new LSX intake and from all the hype it seems like its the be-all-end-all of intakes now but I have a few things that I don't understand about it.
First it is a composite intake similar to the LS1 and LS6's and one of the draw backs on those intakes was that you didn't have the ability to port match them were as the Weiland aluminum intake can be matched for superior flow.
The other thing is while I was on a tour of Comp Cams facility during the Hot Rod Pump Gas Drags they had an LSX on dispaly in their R&D area which they were testing. The first thing I noticed right off the bat was the the 3 components that made up the intake had a lot of flash on them some of which was in the air flow areas themselves. Flash is basically flakes of plastic extending from the part at the parting line due to a poor seal off on the tool that makes the part. This flash will tend to resist flow. Its not a big deal and can be trimmed but I was surprised to see that they would run it like that.
Lastly has there been any before and after dyno graphs from LSX owners to show what kind of gains they made from the intake swap?
My intention of this post is not to flame the LSX and by no means am I an intake expert I was just looking at an intake upgrade and began to have questions about it so I made the post in hopes some of you can help me out.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good LSX gains have been with swap + tune.
Gains have been all over the place, but it seems that there are more gains than losses. Now, the cost of the LSX intakes is what hurts the most when gains aren't what were expected.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The intake you saw may have been an earlier prototype. The intake I recieved had no casting flash at all. The ports are rather smooth. The LS-6 intake can not be ported MUCH, but can be worked on a bit. The LSX on the other hand can be ported. It even has "witness" lines to tell you when you have gone far enough. There have been lots of tests on the intake. just do a search for FAST intakes or "LSX". Most people gain a fair amount over the LS-6, but some gains have been rather dismall on the "stocker" motors. If you have an LS-1 intake and plan on big improvements down the road, you'll be fine with the LSX. If your mods aren't going to be very big, you'll be fine with a LS-6.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a writeup in Chevy high performance engine-dyno testing all the intakes available at the moment, even the intake from the LS trucks.

On a bolt on engine with the LS6 there seems to be little gains. You benefit more from at least a cammed car. At least this has been my observation.

Next month they are going to test all the intakes again but after doing a head and cam install.

Keep your eyes peeled.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sscam68
there was a writeup in Chevy high performance engine-dyno testing all the intakes available at the moment, even the intake from the LS trucks.

On a bolt on engine with the LS6 there seems to be little gains. You benefit more from at least a cammed car. At least this has been my observation.

Next month they are going to test all the intakes again but after doing a head and cam install.

Keep your eyes peeled.
Yes, that was an interesting article. However, IMO, useless for the most part since as far as I could understand their testing procedure, they didn't do ANY tuning. I almost wrote them a letter
It seems that LSX intakes require some tuning, although even with tuning some people reported no gains. I was suprised CHP didn't even check AF...
Old 05-21-2004, 12:02 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/131732-all-lsx-results-here.html
Old 05-21-2004, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JRP, what kind of HP gain should I expect from the LSX intake? ---->
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Iv_z28
Yes, that was an interesting article. However, IMO, useless for the most part since as far as I could understand their testing procedure, they didn't do ANY tuning. I almost wrote them a letter
It seems that LSX intakes require some tuning, although even with tuning some people reported no gains. I was suprised CHP didn't even check AF...
Your right, but I think thats another set of tests. IMO a lot of the people that subscribe to that mag are old schoolers. They still have carb and carb vs EFI shootouts at the readers request of course.

The article gives good insight as to what you can expect when you bolt on intake without the tunning. Gotta understand people have a hard enough time tunning carbs let alone EFI. The article definitly addresses a much larger group that isn't computer savvy let alone having any comprehension about EFI tunning.

With that in mind that test is pretty realistic to me. Tunning the intakes for max performance is just another variable.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was about as old-school as you can get but, with the
right tools tuning EFI is easier than carbs. Not the jet
changes, of course, which are simple. But in knowing
what's improving and what's worsening, immediately,
hell, the computer happily tells you if you listen right.
And you don't smell like gasoline for the next day either.

Thing is in article #1, they had a motor that wasn't using
up the stock intake flow, so (aside from maybe showing
the average Joe he should hold onto his money) it was a
total waste of space and reading time. Be interesting to
see if they get smart next time around, or just bolt 'em
up, run 'em up, write 'em up, aren't we clever.

Wonder if any of those choads even have a clue about
the Internet, and how far behind the learning curve they
are?
Old 05-21-2004, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I was about as old-school as you can get but, with the
right tools tuning EFI is easier than carbs. Not the jet
changes, of course, which are simple. But in knowing
what's improving and what's worsening, immediately,
hell, the computer happily tells you if you listen right.
And you don't smell like gasoline for the next day either.

Thing is in article #1, they had a motor that wasn't using
up the stock intake flow, so (aside from maybe showing
the average Joe he should hold onto his money) it was a
total waste of space and reading time. Be interesting to
see if they get smart next time around, or just bolt 'em
up, run 'em up, write 'em up, aren't we clever.

Wonder if any of those choads even have a clue about
the Internet, and how far behind the learning curve they
are?
I don't think it was a waste, primarily because on the internet you get tidbits of info. "I gained XX from Y intake" or "I gained ZZ from Z" intake. Now everbody knows what each does on the same engine under the same circumstances. Very difficult to compare results with a dyno in Florida on one car compared to another vehicle in California.

I have got to admit I was pretty supprised by the performance of the truck intake compared to the LS1 and LS6. I would have figured different on the low end side with the longer runners.

I would expect the next installment to provide I much better picture when lungs are opened up.