Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG or LOUDMOUTH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG(MadHammer)

If u like, I can give a clip with my GMMG. I have a cam only. Don't know what cam as I bought it off a guy that didn't know what he had as he let the shop pick. LT, ORY, with the GMMG and it sounds awesome! Going through downtown ATL, it sounds even just so BA. Heads turn & thumbs pop as well as eye *****! Do yourself the favor and spend the extra dollars. My wife loves it as well as all my buddies, even my Ford buddy. Yes he mentally challenged but he still knows when a hotrod sounds good!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

LM1, 2, and especially the Mad Hammer (GMMG's manufacturer) are going to sound like absolute GARBAGE with longtubes and no cats. I mean every word of that too.

I was a huge fan of the MagnaMouth I build from a LM1 I had.

Then I discovered TSP duals with sweet thunders and cursed the day I ever had a Y pipe on the car
Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

IF anyone as videos of their exhaust combos please feel free!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a GMMG before I switched to true duals. I thought the GMMG sounded better.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had LM1 with no headers, and it's raspy and had alot of drone. But sadly, I like it. Then LM1 with ARHeaders and their high flowing cats, and their Y. What rasp I have I like. What drone I have I like also.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
LM1, 2, and especially the Mad Hammer (GMMG's manufacturer) are going to sound like absolute GARBAGE with longtubes and no cats. I mean every word of that too.

I was a huge fan of the MagnaMouth I build from a LM1 I had.

Then I discovered TSP duals with sweet thunders and cursed the day I ever had a Y pipe on the car
Truth. GMMG sounded absolutely KILLER on my car when I was just bolt-ons with Kooks LTs and Kooks Catted Y-pipe. Once I put the H/C/I on it lost a lot of the deep bass sound. Switched to X-pipe with duals dumped and never looked back. While there is no way I would go back to a Y-pipe on this car, if I ever bought another F-body and didn't plan on going crazy with it, I would buy a GMMG without hesitation. I would recommend stock manifolds/cats or with LTs and Cats for sure though.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've been looking into borla cat backs from what I researched borla is 3" & my CME tips are 2.5" so i'd have to get the 3" tips i suppose?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigdaddybones30
If u like, I can give a clip with my GMMG. I have a cam only. Don't know what cam as I bought it off a guy that didn't know what he had as he let the shop pick. LT, ORY, with the GMMG and it sounds awesome! Going through downtown ATL, it sounds even just so BA. Heads turn & thumbs pop as well as eye *****! Do yourself the favor and spend the extra dollars. My wife loves it as well as all my buddies, even my Ford buddy. Yes he mentally challenged but he still knows when a hotrod sounds good!
I just got my gmmg exhaust in last week and I will be putting it on tomorrow night. I have bbk lts/ory but I will also be getting cats put in wednesday. I can post some clips before and after the cats later this week.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I give it about a month before you come back asking what muffler to put in the I-Pipe...
Old 09-01-2014, 06:01 PM

If you want a much cheaper option Use the TSp Rumbler. I love the way it sounds with my LPP long tubes and ORY.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:03 PM

http://vid56.photobucket.com/albums/...headers001.mp4
Old 09-01-2014, 06:17 PM

I also have one from the inside too. I love the way my set up sounds
Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I run ARH longtubes, Y-pipe, and the GMMG catback. Its incredibly loud and obnoxious, but honestly, that's the exact sound I want from the car. This car is not my daily driver and it sounds straight up ANGRY at WOT.

If this was my daily driver, I wouldn't even consider a LM1 or a GMMG; especially running headers or a catless Y-pipe.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if not on a budget, id go with gmmg and either way I would use the catted y pipe. ive owned and run just about every catback that's been made lol. honestly I would save the money from buying a catback and spend it on really nice set of 1 7/8 kooks or ARH with ory/ qtp 3 in electric cut out. that it is if you have the complete slp cme catback. it sounds really good with headers and not cats. then if you want it loud just open the electric out. if you have the 6LE cme tips and valence then get a catted y with gmmg if money isn't an option. slp LM1 sounds similar to the gmmg but the gmmg still sounds a little more healthier to me. I just posted a sound clip with LT ory and slp cme here in the gen III external engine section if you want to get an idea
Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

To the OP, I would stay clear of the LM1, especially if you plant on installing headers.

The GMMG will still be very loud, but it will have a better tone and be a "bit" more subtle while idling. Is it worth $800? that is up for you to decide. If you plan on adding a lumpy cam down the road; I would avoid both systems completely.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

I run LT ORY no cats w/ lm2 also have h/c/i. Granted my cam is a little on the aggressive side with a 112+3 lsa, it sounds so wicked when it chirps the exhaust. But it is a little louder than I expected but its okay. It's not my daily but its tolerable.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It amazes me how many complain about rasp with the gmmg or it sounds like absolute garbage with cam & no cats. I must have a smaller cam than the rest of ya that say its terrible cuz even with 1 7/8 LTs mine still sounds amazing! Yes it did get louder with the bigger LTs but the sound quality didnt go down at all! Funny not one person has said wow that car sounds like ****! Instead wanna know what I have done cuz it sounds amazing!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Don't forget sound is subjective to everyone. There's guys that actually LIKE a LM1 with LT's and no cats... to each his own.

9 out of 10 people though would say it sounds like absolute garbage around 1800rpm and under load though.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Don't forget sound is subjective to everyone. There's guys that actually LIKE a LM1 with LT's and no cats... to each his own.

9 out of 10 people though would say it sounds like absolute garbage around 1800rpm and under load though.
This is very true; we all have different tastes. I think it all comes down to whether or not the OP will be driving this car daily. You have to decide what sound level your willing to tolerate on a daily basis.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think people mistake the sound that a chambered muffler makes as the sound changes with varying rpm, engine loads as abnormal when thats a characteristic of it, its what its supposed to sound like. Its supposed to sound like a machine gun at times. I really notice it at light to mid throttle when gaining speed & I like it! Thats why when they put these systems on the 69 z28s they created a stir from the noise they made & they discontinued it because it sounded so radical. Then they were true duals but no cats! I had a gtp with headers, slp exhaust no cat it was loud but had lots of drone & rasp so I have experienced both!

Quick Reply: GMMG or LOUDMOUTH?