Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POTZ tb getting stuck at WOT...Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check the cable while it is disconnected. It should move back and forth smooth. Have some one give you a hand. Disconnect it from the throttle body but leave it in the bracket and have someone push the pedal slowly than you pull it back. It should be smooth and easy.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1nut346
I'm sure it's tough to eyeball but it might be going past 90* open. You can put some RTV or something on the throttle stop to limit it a little (basically undo what he milled off) and see if it still does it. If it does, it's something else. You need to use the process of elimination.
Originally Posted by gagliano7
Check the cable while it is disconnected. It should move back and forth smooth. Have some one give you a hand. Disconnect it from the throttle body but leave it in the bracket and have someone push the pedal slowly than you pull it back. It should be smooth and easy.
That's a good idea that I haven't tried yet, I will check it out when I get home and report back tomorrow. However it only gets stuck about 25% of the time when I go 75%-100% throttle. That may not mean anything though. I would think this would get stuck every time I hit it but that may not be the case. I will give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps it may be prudent to install a set screw at the throttle stop just as it has for setting idle.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Perhaps it may be prudent to install a set screw at the throttle stop just as it has for setting idle.
I'm not sure how I would install it? Sorry that I am stupid Could you show where in the pics that I supplied? You're speaking about the bump/throttle stop that was shaved off some?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
You're speaking about the bump/throttle stop that was shaved off some?
Yes. You'd need to drill/tap for it, but you'd then eliminate the concern of it opening beyond 90.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Yes. You'd need to drill/tap for it, but you'd then eliminate the concern of it opening beyond 90.
I disconnected the cable from the tb last night and had my brother slowly push down on the gas pedal until WOT a few times, while I held the cable end and kept tension, and it felt smooth. It definitely did not get stuck or snag or anything like that.

Can you confirm that if the blade is going past 90 degrees that it typically would be causing the throttle to get stuck?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you could try putting a few layers of tape on the bump stop to make sure it can't go past 90* then see if you can get the throttle to stick. If it gets stuck you need to look for a different problem, if not then you need to look for a more permanent but similar solution.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fry_
Maybe you could try putting a few layers of tape on the bump stop to make sure it can't go past 90* then see if you can get the throttle to stick. If it gets stuck you need to look for a different problem, if not then you need to look for a more permanent but similar solution.
Yeah tape would be a good temporary fix so I can test it. What sucks is it is do damn rare and random when it happens. I drove it yesterday and got on it a lil and it was fine. It's supposed to be 70 here Saturday so I'm going to take it on a nice 50 mile cruise with the tape and see what happens. However, its so rare I could probably not use the tape and have no problems.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

To me it looks like that blade is not centered... its probably getting hung up somewhere on the throttle body housing.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Honestly you should probably just throw it in the trash and get a new aftermarket one. I know it will be tough to do but you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it if you end up wrecking the car.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inssanity21
To me it looks like that blade is not centered... its probably getting hung up somewhere on the throttle body housing.
But I've moved the blade so many times back and forth, slow and fast, with the cable and by hand, and it has never done anything but be super smooth/perfect.

Originally Posted by LS1nut346
Honestly you should probably just throw it in the trash and get a new aftermarket one. I know it will be tough to do but you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it if you end up wrecking the car.
I hear that, well I will be taping the throttle stop and going for a cruise tomorrow to see if I can replicate it getting stuck. I have driven the car for weeks though before without it happening. Then all of a sudden, it gets stuck.

In the end, the car is being stored this Winter as usual and if I cannot figure it out by Spring then I will get an aftermarket one when I cam it.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Are you sure your gas pedal isn't getting stuck to the floor some how. Could be getting caught on something (floor mat)or the pedal pivot point is worn and binds up with a certain pressure. I could be wrong but I don't think its the TB.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by inssanity21
This ^^^

I've see it happen on a ported throttle I was cleaning. See if it sticks when you pull outward or push inward on the throttle cam. I bet that blade is just slightly off center. It doesn't take much.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you ever figure out the problem?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if im not mistaken. i think potz is a longtime member here.but goes by another sn
Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Did you ever figure out the problem?
I guess he died.

Quick Reply: POTZ tb getting stuck at WOT...Advice