Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks LT Header and Y Pipe Install on WS6 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks LT Header and Y Pipe Install on WS6 LS1

I'm in the middle of a Kooks LT 1 7/8 Racing Headers and Off Road Y Pipe install into my mostly stock 02 WS6. I've got the ARP Bolts, GM Gaskets, and Corvette Rear O2 Bosch Sensors (to replace my front O2 sensors).

I've removed the useless Air/Emissions crap under the hood as part of this mod.

So the first question here is rear O2 sensor. I just got my Y Pipe and didn't expect it to be tapped for O2 sensors. It's my understanding that the rear O2 sensors are completely useless without cats. Once the install is done I'm getting it tuned and had planned to tune out the rear O2 sensors.

What do I do? Do I buy a plug and plug it or should I install the old sensors and have useless sensors there or???

Anything else that's specific to my setup that I should know or do?

Thanks in advanced for this and thanks for all the answers I've got in the last week.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want it to appear as clean as possible, then plugs would be best. If you don't care what it looks like down there, then toss the rear O2 sensors in there.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bunch the wires up and zip tie them out of the way. And as I said in your other thread, now is the time to install poly motor mounts otherwise you'll have a third thread asking what the banging noise is coming from underneath your car. You could also return those Vette O2 sensors if you want and follow the instructions in this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vette-o2s.html
Old 10-22-2014, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fry_
Just bunch the wires up and zip tie them out of the way. And as I said in your other thread, now is the time to install poly motor mounts otherwise you'll have a third thread asking what the banging noise is coming from underneath your car. You could also return those Vette O2 sensors if you want and follow the instructions in this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vette-o2s.html
Huh I missed the post about the motor mounts. Honestly I was really hoping I'd be able to away with not having to unmount my engine to get the headers in. So I take it, if I leave the stock mounts in the motor will flex and the headers will bang against the frame?

Last edited by CORYSTA; 10-22-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: post not point
Old 10-22-2014, 03:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd highly suggest poly or solid motor mounts when doing headers. It's all apart, so might as well make it easier on yourself. Not to mention the elimination of the banging that is sure to arise at some point.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'd highly suggest poly or solid motor mounts when doing headers. It's all apart, so might as well make it easier on yourself. Not to mention the elimination of the banging that is sure to arise at some point.
X2 ^^^

I would also do a poly transmission mount as well. I went all poly last time I had the engine and trans out and it so much nicer.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree with the motor mounts. I didn't do it and I believe some of my rattling exhaust issues are due to that.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Use plugs in the Y-bungs for now, but they are useful when you are doing tuning with a wideband.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I was hoping Kooks had plugs that they would sell me, but they're not answering my email.

Can someone point me to the appropriate plugs, please.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what size the plug needs to be?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

NM just called up kooks, they were incredibly helpful. In case anybody else is looking for the size.

O2 Sensor Plug M18-1.5

Quick Reply: Kooks LT Header and Y Pipe Install on WS6 LS1