Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love your first 4 posts
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

44 rwhp gain seems pretty good to me. Now someone needs to test an ls1 style head version against a fast 102.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
44 rwhp gain seems pretty good to me. Now someone needs to test an ls1 style head version against a fast 102.
The test was performed on an engine dyno so the results are not rwhp.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Impressive gains. LS7 intake is tough to top
Old 06-03-2016, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I know it's not before/after, but I will be putting my car on the rollers once I get my tune squared away.

I can say, I've had an ls1, ls6, ported FAST 90, and now this MSD Atomic Airforce, and I will say that the MSD is the best built one. Just the engineering of how it's bolted together is better than my FAST 90 was. Who knows, maybe they improved on the 92/102's, but the MSD is put together very well.
We must've gotten ours from two different batches or something. Just found a bunch of holes in the upper shell on mine, I'll be emailing MSD in the morning to see what gives.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by samerickson89
We must've gotten ours from two different batches or something. Just found a bunch of holes in the upper shell on mine, I'll be emailing MSD in the morning to see what gives.
Post some pictures, or email them to me or PM me. I'm curious to see what you have.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Post some pictures, or email them to me or PM me. I'm curious to see what you have.
Sure thing. Not sure how I missed this at first, but I just notice this yesterday.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks like a problem of trapped gas during injection.

That is a process control problem, or lack of process control, which really means lack of quality control because inspection never caught it. The other possibility is that it was a reject part but got put in the wrong place post molding.

Regardless of where the mistake was made, I'd be calling MSD / Holley and sending them the pictures, they have a quality control problem.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Those holes aren't a problem. Mine had the same thing, and they don't impact the intake at all. They are on the outside of the channel that holds the gasket, which is double walled.

When I first got my intake, I called them, and they reassured me that it wasn't an issue. I talked to an engineer at the time.
I've pressure tested mine up to close to 30psi, and no leaks at all.

Here's the video of me pressure testing it.

Here's the holes in the back of mine:

Trust me, there's no issues at all with it.
Attached Thumbnails New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce-20150326_185927.jpg  
Old 06-05-2016, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usdmholden
That looks like a problem of trapped gas during injection.

That is a process control problem, or lack of process control, which really means lack of quality control because inspection never caught it. The other possibility is that it was a reject part but got put in the wrong place post molding.

Regardless of where the mistake was made, I'd be calling MSD / Holley and sending them the pictures, they have a quality control problem.
Agree... they definitely need to clean that up if for nothing other than un-happy customers calling to complain or inquire about it.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Those holes aren't a problem. Mine had the same thing, and they don't impact the intake at all. They are on the outside of the channel that holds the gasket, which is double walled.

When I first got my intake, I called them, and they reassured me that it wasn't an issue. I talked to an engineer at the time.
I've pressure tested mine up to close to 30psi, and no leaks at all.

Trust me, there's no issues at all with it.
It's good that it doesn't cause any issues, but for how much they charge they shouldn't be putting out such a poorly made product. The seams from the injection molding are ugly enough already. When I called to ask why those were so bad, they tried telling me it's an unavoidable part of the injection molding process, but every gun component I've ever bought from Magpul says otherwise...

Quick Reply: New intake at SEMA: MSD Airforce