Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since German Castrol is gone.... (IT'S NOT!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
...it's damn near $20/quart but they stock it lol.
Holy moly! My "target price" for a quart of motor oil is no more the $8.00.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Good ideas guys.
DaSkinnyGuy, you say Napa stocks Amsoil? I'll look into that because I like the stuff also.
Yes my local NAPA stocks it, how ever not all do, even if they didn't I would be willing to wait a few days for it to be shipped to me just to make sure I am protecting my engine the best that I can. What your telling me is you need it right that moment and can't wait just a few days if you had to, to protect an engine so it can last who knows how much longer than some other oils. Have patience and protect it as long as your happy in the end.

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
I'm suprised your parts stores don't carry Amsoil? Our Canadian tire and Part source (which is like your autozone) stock it...it's damn near $20/quart but they stock it lol.
On the other side of the border I pay $10.50 a quart.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy moly! My "target price" for a quart of motor oil is no more the $8.00.
Ya- I don't buy from the part stores lol- I get direct from AMS (their dealers and preferred customeres get a crazy discount)

I have a ton of buddies that use the AMS oil for their sleds to though, so I went in as a dealer (but I don't actively go out trying to sell- I have an actual job that takes up all my time haha)...worked for me since we buy so many cases for the sleds in the winter time alone that the commission paid on the bulk order basically gives me free membership haha (and the price for the oil is the same if you are a dealer or a preferred customer)

So basically I don't charge any of my buddies any extra on the cases, we take a big bulk order for everyone at the cottage that has a sled and needs oil for the winter, place the order and snag it from the depot down the street.

All in all though - they have the things setup pyramidish- but it works very similar to being a costco member- you pay a fee to get a better deal...can't say I agree with it totally, but the product is really good and the price as a member is pretty stellar (I get it cheaper than I can get mobil 1)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
Yes my local NAPA stocks it, how ever not all do, even if they didn't I would be willing to wait a few days for it to be shipped to me just to make sure I am protecting my engine the best that I can. What your telling me is you need it right that moment and can't wait just a few days if you had to, to protect an engine so it can last who knows how much longer than some other oils. Have patience and protect it as long as your happy in the end.

On the other side of the border I pay $10.50 a quart.
Ya the signature series stuff I get for about $11 the OE stuff I get for $6 or so... you guys always get stuff cheaper on the other side though.

I actually price all my repair parts like that... go on autozone's site, mulitply the price by 3 and that's what I'll pay here... so I usually just drive across the border haha
Old 11-06-2014, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

I use Valvoline Synthetic
Old 11-06-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Switched over to Joe Gibbs LS30 last year.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I've heard Tick Performance recommend synthetic Valvoline VR1 10w30 do to it's higher ZDDP content for cars with aftermarket cams and is usually easy to find, my local Wal*Mart used to carry it. Also Amsoil shouldn't be hard to find if you look for it, my local Theisens (large mid west farm and home chain) carries it.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I visited a Napa today. No Amsoil.

As I'm looking for an off the shelf oil in common stores like Pep Boys, AutoZone and Napa, Penzoil looks to be my next oil.

Penzoil Ultra Pure Plus 10W-30 in quarts lists at $9.79.

Like most oils, it'll be on sale with a cheapo oil filter at some point. In my experience, the quart price drops to somewhere around $6~$6.50. This is when I stock up.

Buying the $39.99 five gallon jug at non-sale price puts each quart at $7.99.

Although not in a "walk in store", just for comparison, the five quart jug can be had via the internet with free shipping in a three pack for $95.72, brings the per quart price down to $6.38.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 11-07-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all well and good choosing and using a good oil, we all do, 'BUT' most engine wear is done on inital fire up while building up oil pressure & the oil gets circulating.
Soooo how many of you are using a Accusump?
Not into having the engine build up oil pressure before starting it.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Does this mean no more castrol syntec? This is the first I have heard of this.

Anyone know why?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

german castrol aka the green stuff hasnt been made since 07 i blieve but they have still made and are still making the euro formula as well as others. I personally use a good dino oil or vr1. In the end after a lot of research on Bob Is the Oil Guy if you change your oil regularly at low intervals like most of us should a good dino oil is more than fine.

I use Penzzoil YB or vr1. However if I can get amoil locally to me at the orlando warehouse for 6 bucks (looking into tht now) then i may start using that
Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Teching In

I doubt you'll find Amsoil on Napa's website. It's a local distributed brand i do believe, if a Napa has it, it's because the manager is getting from a local distributor and stocking his own shelves. The A&A auto parts(pa) store i worked at in high school is doing this, the manager of that store is getting amsoil locally and the amsoil guy is coming in weekly to see what he needs replaced.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Does this mean no more castrol syntec? This is the first I have heard of this.

Anyone know why?
Castrol still markets oil under the Syntec brand name.

It's just that the German Castrol 0W-30 as we knew it is no longer available.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
It's all well and good choosing and using a good oil, we all do, 'BUT' most engine wear is done on inital fire up while building up oil pressure & the oil gets circulating.
Soooo how many of you are using a Accusump?
Not into having the engine build up oil pressure before starting it.
That is why the Pour point column in the chart I posted is pretty important- that and the Viscosity index.

Shows you that the colder it gets the more of a dry start you are going to have.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

I have run Amsoils 5W-40 European Formula in my Camaro. I currently run the Amsoil XL 5w-30 in my 2002 Expedition, my Dad's 2004 Sierra, and Mom's 2001 Yukon. I currently run Amsoil 10w-40 (4.5-5 quarts) and the Z-Rod 10w-30 (1 quart) becasue the car sits a lot.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Before accepting recommendations on which oil to use, you really need to specify what the use is. A well used street engine would use something very different than a brand new race engine.

I'm surprised that nobody's said to use the Royal Purple. I've always stayed away from it because of it's cost and what I believe to be skewed test results that they've used in their advertising.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I've read that it breaks down very quickly under heat. And it's more expensive than many other oils that test better in oil analysis results I've seen posted.
There are only 4 synthetic oils on the market: Amsoil, RP, RL, and Schaffer. All other "synthetics" are actually refined dino oils. That doesn't make them a bad oil, just a bad value.

I use RP in the race car and in my Harley. The UOA's in the air cooled Harley show a definite advantage over M1. RP handles the heat far better than M1.

For the race car, I overhaul the engine every other season. I plastigauge the bearings when new, and when I do the overhaul. There's a very small amount of wear after two years of street and road racing abuse. They're still well with specs for new bearings. I could probably leave the bearings in for another 2 seasons - but my OCD won't allow that .

RP used to be hard to find and expensive. But now you can get it at Wally-World for <$8 a quart.

My truck and the wife's car don't see near the abuse that the race car and Harley do (oil wise), so they get regular dino oil.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Good info. Would you consider the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oils a true synthetic oil?
Old 11-08-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Good info. Would you consider the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oils a true synthetic oil?
No. A true synthetic starts with a PAO base stock. A man made molecule. That is the true definition of "synthetic".

Pennzoil starts with Pennsylvania crude - a dino oil. Nothing synthetic about it. Then it's refined enough to meet certain performance characteristics so that the FTC will allow it to be called "Synthetic". A legal trick of marketing, and nothing more.

These so-called synthetics are not bad oils. Some of them are slightly better than standard dino oils. For the average street car, they're probably more than you really need. But if you're paying more than $5 or so a quart, you're getting ripped off (IMO).
Old 11-08-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

.boB, what is your take on Joe Gibbs Ls30?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:15 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks for that boB. I was under the impression the new oils from natural gas were full synthetics.

Quick Reply: Since German Castrol is gone.... (IT'S NOT!!)