Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LQ4 oil pressure sender

On a 2002 LQ4 is there another location to get oil pressure from except the rear of the block behind the intake? And if not, how the heck do you get the stock sender out to install another sender so it will work with my stock dash? The engine is installed now and the engine is very close to the firewall so theres just enough room to see the sender but not how it mounts.

I am hoping I can leave the stock sender in place and use a different location for another sender if one exists.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

OK, saw that it just screws in but it will take a super deep socket to get it out. No room at all for a wrench. So now just the question of a different location for another sender.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:58 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You can use his location BUT it's directly off the oil pump before the oil pan & filter.

The stock location reads pressure AFTER the pan & filter.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You can also re-locate the OPSU to anywhere you like:

Old 01-04-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Also, there's an oil cooler bypass fitting on the pan, just above the filer. You can drill/tap that or use a corvette bypass that has port on it.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

I like the relocate idea. I don't know how to access it without pulling the intake. Really dont want to do that, but I might have to anyway. I tried to use a deep socket to get the stock sender out and broke it. I need to be sure that it doesnt leak now. It just broke the plastic piece.

And I was wondering about the oil cooler location. I have the cap on it now that came with the holley pan. I guess I could drill and tap it pretty easily.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Taxman, I'd recommend you pull the intake manifold to get at the OPSU. If you haven't pulled this manifold before, you'll never know what you'll find. It can get pretty nasty, especially if you still use the LS1/truck style PCV setup. Upgrade to the LS6 system, it's light years better than the LS1 piping.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

I pulled the intake on my truck to change the OPSU and:

Old 01-04-2015, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Taxman, I'd recommend you pull the intake manifold to get at the OPSU. If you haven't pulled this manifold before, you'll never know what you'll find. It can get pretty nasty.

I agree with Mr Bell...and, be sure and look at the knock sensors also.

I've never taken one apart that old...that didn't need at least one or both knock sensors from water intrusion...
Old 01-04-2015, 11:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yeah, my truck had 203K on it when I did the job. It got new knocks, LS6 valley cover & a nice home brewed clear catch can. Despite having the LS6 PCV, it still grabs like an inch of oil every thousand miles.

If you're gonna install the OPSU back in the block behind the intake manifold, get the GM dealership professional version, GM number 1261664. It's more robust than the aftermaket ones. I used a aftermarket version and it went bad in three months.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I just changed this on a 2007 Tahoe. It is a bitch but you can do it with the oil sender socket, short extension, swivel and a long extension. I did the job only taking off the engine cover. Also get yourself a mirror but you will have to do a lot by feel. Now that I know how to do the job I can change one in a half an hour.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

I could get it out with the right socket, but I am not going back with the stock sender since I want my stock dash gauges to work in the truck. So I am going to pull the intake and do the relocate setup. Will check knocks while I am there.

Quick Reply: LQ4 oil pressure sender