High end oil filters examined - Page 6 - LS1TECH

Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High end oil filters examined

Old 09-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #101
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I think you're out of luck. Wix has high flow filters with the correct thread (13/16-16) but the diameter is too big. The "correct" filter is 2.9" in diameter. I suppose you could measure the filter pad or get one and see if it fits. It's too bad, the Wix racing filters are probably the highest flowing at 60 microns media.

Moroso has a "high flow" filter at 27 microns, # 22462.

Paul Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #102
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bell View Post
I think you're out of luck. Wix has high flow filters with the correct thread (13/16-16) but the diameter is too big. The "correct" filter is 2.9" in diameter. I suppose you could measure the filter pad or get one and see if it fits. It's too bad, the Wix racing filters are probably the highest flowing at 60 microns media.

Moroso has a "high flow" filter at 27 microns, # 22462.

Yep that's a bummer. I don't see a listing for the Fram HP filters. Looked at R2C and they don't have a listing either
sillysspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #103
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysspeed View Post
for drag racing
You could get an aftermarket oil pan that has no oil filter pad. This eliminates those tiny passages the oil takes through the filter pad. You'll need external lines and a remote filter mount-and you can use any filter you want.

OR, keeping the stock pan, just an oil filter relocation kit.

What I did:

Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #104
TECH Enthusiast

That's a nice setup Paul! On my next engine I will probably go with a remote setup. For now I'm gonna give the moroso filter a try along with Eneos oil.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #105
Teching In

Default Change intervals don't matter with racing filters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysspeed View Post
Does anyone have the part # for Wix racing oil filter for LS1? Did a couple searches with no luck? I'm looking for the highest flowing filter possible for drag racing. I know I need to change it often
Please note that racing filters of ANY type are built for minimum-restriction - meaning their micron size is much wider than a street filter. It passes big particles from the very start. This applies to all filters using a "flow-through" media.

It matters little how often you change your oil and filter. Racing filters are designed for engines that only have to survive a limited amount of time / miles between total rebuilds - NOT oil changes.

If you are a big NASCAR team (or equivalent) that routinely rebuilds their engines after every race - a racing filter is fine. If you are a privateer or small team that does not automatically rebuild, then I would not recommend a racing filter.

As a point of note, I have seen privateer outlaw racing teams that use standard WIX street filters with absolutely no problems or complaints.
damec70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #106
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Welcome to LS1tech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damec70 View Post
Please note that racing filters of ANY type are built for minimum-restriction - meaning their micron size is much wider than a street filter. It passes big particles from the very start.
Yes, this is correct and has been discussed many times here.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #107
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by damec70 View Post
Please note that racing filters of ANY type are built for minimum-restriction - meaning their micron size is much wider than a street filter. It passes big particles from the very start. This applies to all filters using a "flow-through" media.

It matters little how often you change your oil and filter. Racing filters are designed for engines that only have to survive a limited amount of time / miles between total rebuilds - NOT oil changes.

If you are a big NASCAR team (or equivalent) that routinely rebuilds their engines after every race - a racing filter is fine. If you are a privateer or small team that does not automatically rebuild, then I would not recommend a racing filter.

As a point of note, I have seen privateer outlaw racing teams that use standard WIX street filters with absolutely no problems or complaints.

Thanks for the feedback and welcome. While I don't agree with everything you stated I do appreciate your input.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #108
Teching In

Straight from Wix Tech line: "Don't run the XP unless you do a bunch of start stop. The regular Wix filter does a better job on filtration"

CC'ed from Bob is the oil guy:

Hummm ... WIX XP shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".

B = Beta Ratio

(B-1)/B X 100 = Efficiency %

Beta Ratio --- Efficiency %
2 --- 50.00
5 --- 80.00
10 --- 90.00
15 --- 93.33
20 --- 95.00
25 --- 96.00
30 --- 96.67
40 --- 97.50
50 --- 98.00
75 --- 98.67
100 --- 99.00
125 --- 99.20
250 --- 99.60
500 --- 99.80
750 --- 99.87
1000 --- 99.90

I will be putting standard Wix on mine.

Last edited by Blackhatch; 09-23-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Blackhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #109
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhatch View Post
"Don't run the (Wix) XP unless you do a bunch of start stop.
huh. As they're all similar in design and components, I suppose this would apply to all the filters noted in post #1 here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhatch View Post
I will be putting standard Wix on mine.
Well that's a pretty good choice!

I will continue to choose the Wix XP for all my vehicles.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #110
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bell View Post
huh. As they're all similar in design and components, I suppose this would apply to all the filters noted in post #1 here?

Well that's a pretty good choice!

I will continue to choose the Wix XP for all my vehicles.
They are virtually identical. The XP filter is the same filter body and components with a synthetic media vs. a more traditional cellulose media.

The statement from the tech line resource at Wix (this is also echoed in the data above) is that the XP is a better filter if you are doing a bunch of short trips and start stop.

The fact that the standard Wix has a better filtration and capture rate means that it will keep the oil cleaner as a comparison.

Both are good filters, but if you aren't doing a bunch of stop and start driving...you are just spending more money than you need to.
Blackhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #111
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Actually, my DD truck does do a lot of stop & start, from sitting in hours of traffic every day to re-starting as much as 35 times a day when I'm busy.

What do the makers of the other filters say?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #112
Teching In

Ever since I first learned the cheap Fram used cardboard about 10 years ago, I only ever run Wix when I can find them, and that is usually the XP. Glad to know it is on the upper end of your comparison!
Daveymg is offline   Reply With Quote