Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great details 01boydws6, we all really appreciate your time an effort.

Did you get your fueling issues sorted?

I'm just speculating here, but I wonder if the loss in power was more from going over the axles, instead of under, as opposed to the exhaust pipe diameter difference in the 2 systems.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd also have to imagine some impact going from LT to ML headers.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

my maf is maxed which lead to the fueling issues, I could of added a line to my regulator and boost referenced but didn't have the fitting I need to put on my regulator. I wanted to do a run where I un hooked the pipes before they went over the axle as I was also curious to see if that was a large restriction. But with the numbers it put down I did'nt even bother. To have a system that fits and sounds the way this one does and with the power its putting down I was more than happy with the results.

Over the winter I plan to switch to speed density, add a line to boost reference and re-tune. I am either going to do that or switch over to the Holley Dominator system.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my legal Blackheart system on my convertible today. The quality is great! Welds are nice. It went on *very* easily, and all the hardware is top notch. My car only has 27K on it and I rarely drive it in bad weather, so the catalytic converter nuts came off easily. It must have been fun to install, 'cause a had my brother and a couple of friends jumping in to help, so I took a step back and supervised some of the work. Instructions are very clear and concise. I also replaced the OEM tunnel/floor brace with the Hooker F-body Floor Brace, P/N# 71223001HKR, which allows clearance for the dual 2.5" pipes (seen here looking toward the rear of the car under the X-pipe):

The car sounds awesome. Granted, I was replacing the stock Y-pipe, and OEM muffler, but this still sounds impressive. 01boydws6 said it best...it sounds refined. I had it on the interstate for about 60 miles heading home from the country and there was no droning, just more umph out the rear, making passing gear even more fun.

And congrats to my brother for firing up his orange '69 Chevelle SS 396 for the first time today after getting it back from painting, and thanks for busting his *** to free up our dad's lift for my exhaust job today.

Last edited by Tim Mc; 12-19-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-P
I'm just speculating here, but I wonder if the loss in power was more from going over the axles, instead of under, as opposed to the exhaust pipe diameter difference in the 2 systems.
I have to believe that he was off his peak due to the short shifting more than anything else. I betcha if he had rapped it up to the full 6300rpm, he wouldn't have been short more than 5-6 rwhp.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tim Mc
I installed my legal Blackheart system on my convertible today. The quality is great! Welds are nice. It went on *very* easily, and all the hardware is top notch. My car only has 27K on it and I rarely drive it in bad weather, so the catalytic converter nuts came off easily. It must have been fun to install, 'cause a had my brother and a couple of friends jumping in to help, so I took a step back and supervised some of the work. Instructions are very clear and concise. I also replaced the OEM tunnel/floor brace with the Hooker F-body Floor Brace, P/N# 71223001HKR, which allows clearance for the dual 2.5" pipes (seen here looking toward the rear of the car under the X-pipe):

The car sounds awesome. Granted, I was replacing the stock Y-pipe, and OEM muffler, but this still sounds impressive. 01boydws6 said it best...it sounds refined. I had it on the interstate for about 60 miles heading home from the country and there was no droning, just more umph out the rear, making passing gear even more fun.

And congrats to my brother for firing up his orange '69 Chevelle SS 396 for the first time today after getting it back from painting, and thanks for busting his *** to free up our dad's lift for my exhaust job today.
Looks good. Post some sound clips please.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 01boydws6
Here is a walk around I took on the first night, I will get a better one this weekend

Walk around with new hooker dual exhaust - YouTube
Watch out for those Slatington cops!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Alright, so I did ask the vendor to cancel my order. But it turns out they had sent it out a day or two before I contacted them yet again. That day I contacted them to cancel the order was the day before it showed up.

Since I have a long trip coming up for Thanksgiving, I decided this last weekend was when the exhaust should go in. Yesterday, PsychoSid and I put it in. Overall, I'm pleased with the fitment. We fought it hard to get the over the axle portion to not touch the heat shield under the fuel tank. But that was partly our fault... Sid kept trying to pull the whole system to the back of the car, when really we had to push it forward to get the hump off the shield.

Since we mated it to 3" collectors on long tubes, we had to work from the back to the front (opposite of Hooker instructions). At the front, we didn't use either of their bung'd pipes. We used a 3"x2.5" reducer from eBay, but we had to go to the parts store and throw some carbon steel on the header side for a slip fit. I hate that we had to do that, but we had to finish.

It's ridiculous quiet compared with my 3" true duals dumped with Magnaflow bullets, pretty much what I was aiming for. I'll be logging AFR the next few days to make adjustments, but watching the gauge, I haven't seen the significant difference I was expecting to see with a smaller exhaust on a 383 HCI car.

7 weeks was just ridiculous, but the kit was very complete and I'm pleased with the fitment. Thanks Toddoky, for tolerating a ticked off customer, lol...

Oh, and I took video before and after but I haven't looked at it yet. I'll post it when I remember to get it off the camera.
do you have any pics of ground clearance with the long tubes?
Old 12-21-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder if this setup will clear a MidWest Chassis body mount TQ arm? Guessing probably need a different body mount brace?
Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Teching In

I'm thinking of getting the system that connects to my cats. Does anyone know the weight of this system. Also can anyone measure how wide it is in the section where the tunnel brace is. From the pics it looks like its center of the X pipe might be centered on the tunnel brace. I'm running the Lakewood driveshaft loop and wondering if it will clear.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking about getting this for my LT1 with LT's. Anyone adapt it to a LT1 car yet?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 9t4zee28
I'm thinking about getting this for my LT1 with LT's. Anyone adapt it to a LT1 car yet?
You'll need to notch the body floor brace on the driver side of the car in order to accomodate installation on an LT car. Hooker sells a notch plate specifically for that purpose and the end result looks quite nice.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone know if the mufflers sit to far forward (towards the bumper) to run the pipes for a CME?

and if the mufflers are to close together to fit the tips?

its hard to tell by the pictures.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:03 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably a really stupid question but with those mid length headers do you have to mess with the cats at all? And as far as I know, I thought it wasn't 50 state legal just yet with those headers?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourth-Gen Man
This is probably a really stupid question but with those mid length headers do you have to mess with the cats at all? And as far as I know, I thought it wasn't 50 state legal just yet with those headers?
The mid-length headers will not install with the stock cats and have no air injection or EGR hook-up provisions, which means they are not legal for use on pollution controlled vehicles. The 50-state legal cat-back version of the Hooker dual exhaust system attaches to the outlets of the stock cats and so is 50-state legal,
Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
does anyone know if the mufflers sit to far forward (towards the bumper) to run the pipes for a CME?

and if the mufflers are to close together to fit the tips?

its hard to tell by the pictures.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ Thanks for that pic! So, it looks like the mufflers "end" somewhere right around that bend in the trunk pan?
Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

yes very close to the end of the trunk pan
Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Toddoky - any word as to the timing on dyno testing the 50 state legal setup? I am curious to see how it stacks up against what was reported for the offroad system on the other test vehicle.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Friend of mine showed me some pics of a guy that installed this system on tsp longtubes and said it bolted right up with no modifications. I believe he said that all the guy did was not use the intermediate pipes that came off of the mid length headers that make that first bend. I cant confirm this but I did see the pics and it looked like it was bolted right up. I will see if I can find the pics

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust