Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Friend of mine showed me some pics of a guy that installed this system on tsp longtubes and said it bolted right up with no modifications. I believe he said that all the guy did was not use the intermediate pipes that came off of the mid length headers that make that first bend. I cant confirm this but I did see the pics and it looked like it was bolted right up. I will see if I can find the pics
That would be very convenient for those wanting to run the system with long-tubes.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Hi Toddoky - any word as to the timing on dyno testing the 50 state legal setup? I am curious to see how it stacks up against what was reported for the offroad system on the other test vehicle.
I've been trying to arrange in install on a co-workers B4C over the last month but have not been successful yet due to a full development schedule and the Holidays getting in the way...I'll see if I can get some traction on that project again.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Friend of mine showed me some pics of a guy that installed this system on tsp longtubes and said it bolted right up with no modifications...
Did he use cats?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner77z
Did he use cats?
I dont remember seeing cats. He swears all he did was just not use the pipes that come off of the mid lengths in the kit. If this can be confirmed then they need to sell the kit with a different sku# without the connection pipes for a discounted price.

Toddoky.... most all of the longtubes out there exit in the same location. Have you ever tried to slip this kit onto a set of hooker longtubes? I guess you would need a 3"-2.5" reducer

Buddy says he saw the picture on facebook. Im gonna try and get you guys a link
Old 01-07-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

The existing Hooker long-tube headers were test fit on the car as the first step in the development of the new dual exhaust system; they did not meet the fitment requirement of the new Hooker Blackheart product line and so were excluded from being part of the development effort. We sell lots of those headers, but they were designed to different standards, at a different time, and don't properly represent what we are currently producing within the Blackheart line. Because of this, there was no effort made to connect the exhaust system to those headers.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to look back through the thread but couldn't find it...what diameter are the tips? I assume 3" or 3.5"?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The existing Hooker long-tube headers were test fit on the car as the first step in the development of the new dual exhaust system; they did not meet the fitment requirement of the new Hooker Blackheart product line and so were excluded from being part of the development effort. We sell lots of those headers, but they were designed to different standards, at a different time, and don't properly represent what we are currently producing within the Blackheart line. Because of this, there was no effort made to connect the exhaust system to those headers.
Still looking for the pics. I got my buddy scrolling through facebook post to find it. He used 3"-2.5" cone reducers and the system slip fitted to that.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think what Toddoky's trying to say is that the system is engineered to meet certain criteria, one of which being ground clearance. Early on, they realized that the existing Hooker LT's wouldn't meet that criteria and abandoned the idea of using this system on them. I don't think Hooker feels the cost/benefit is there to attempt to connect it to their LTs or any other LTs.

Basically, if folks want to do this, it'll be a shadetree exercise, and as more of these are mated to LT's the information will start to flow forth as to what works, what doesn't, and how to achieve connection for the various manufacturer combinations. I wouldn't look to Hooker to validate this as they simply can't and won't trying out various combinations to see what works and what doesn't.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think what Toddoky's trying to say is that the system is engineered to meet certain criteria, one of which being ground clearance. Early on, they realized that the existing Hooker LT's wouldn't meet that criteria and abandoned the idea of using this system on them. I don't think Hooker feels the cost/benefit is there to attempt to connect it to their LTs or any other LTs.
i have to agree with this as i had hooker LTs and then swapped them out for kooks LTs and the kooks fitment was alot tighter in all areas which made for better ground clearance so where one brand might work then next brand LTs might not.

its obvious that this system can be made to work with LTs. im sure any custom exhaust shop can fab up a piece from the collector to the pipe so its not that big of a deal.

i personal will be running the mid-length headers this system comes with when/if i get it bc i dont think the gains of the LTs will out weight the pros of the system being ground clearance and a tight fitment. plus i wont be making enough power for it to matter since we seen the system in the black procharged t/a didnt really lose anything.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with what you are saying....I want the ground clearance. I am awaiting the report on the catback only though, as I kind of want to keep my cats. Just don't want to deal with the smell.

I get what Hooker is trying to do with this Blackheart line....and from the pics and feedback, it seems they are achieving it. Great fitment and quality components/welds. I can appreciate that.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Basically, if folks want to do this, it'll be a shadetree exercise, and as more of these are mated to LT's the information will start to flow forth as to what works, what doesn't, and how to achieve connection for the various manufacturer combinations. I wouldn't look to Hooker to validate this as they simply can't and won't trying out various combinations to see what works and what doesn't.
Bingo, you understand the situation as it is completely.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sierravmax
It is just sad that they make a full longtube setup with a full bolt on dual 2.5" exhaust for 3rd Gen Ls swapped cars. But they won't even go all out on the cars that the Ls motors originally came from. Does not make any sense at all. I call it lazy.
Your criticism is based on making an apples to apples comparison between two cars with completely different architecture under the front half of them both. Providing the absolute best ground clearance available in each complete system was a design requirement of each and the same type of ground clearance is not achievable in a 4th-gen with a set of long-tubes. The 4th-gen system was designed for enthusiasts that have balanced priorities of performance, fitment and sound quality, maximized ground clearance and build quality...the reviews from users on this forum and retail sites like Summit are more indicative of us achieving our goals than being "lazy" in my opinion. Prototyping long tube headers isn't any more difficult than prototyping mid-length headers, so the amount of work required to develop them had no bearing on the decision to exclude them from the development of the system in its current form.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

does this system clear these type of TQ arm setups? (links below). where the mounting bar is welded to each SFC.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=755

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=754
Old 01-17-2016, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
does this system clear these type of TQ arm setups? (links below). where the mounting bar is welded to each SFC.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=755

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=754
No attempt was made to provide compatibility with any torque arm other than the stock OE piece, so I would suspect that it would require modifications of some degree to get the two systems to install together.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So is it safe to assume vendors have these kits in stock now? I know it was hit or miss early on.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CGCBandit
So is it safe to assume vendors have these kits in stock now? I know it was hit or miss early on.
I know they're out there, but I don't follow orders to know what ships where. I do know that the 409ss versions have sold in larger numbers and been produced in greater numbers because of that fact.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

My father in law has this exact setup installed on his M6 1998 Trans Am.
Even being lowered, everything fit great. He has it hooked up to the EBay stainless LONGTUBE headers.
All it takes is an hour of some measuring and your favorite cutting tool and a welder. It's not rocket science.
System tucks up very well and sounds excellent.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by juniorssrollin
My father in law has this exact setup installed on his M6 1998 Trans Am.
Even being lowered, everything fit great. He has it hooked up to the EBay stainless LONGTUBE headers.
All it takes is an hour of some measuring and your favorite cutting tool and a welder. It's not rocket science.
System tucks up very well and sounds excellent.
Thanks for testifying how easy it is to adapt the Hooker duals to a typical set of long-tube headers...some guys act as though that process hasn't been carried out on a regular basis for the last 50 years.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Default Will this work

Will this exhaust work with the BMR 4 point sub frame connectors and the UMI torque arm relocation crossmember . Cant find any info on this .wondering if you did in testing . If it will this perfect set up for me
Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tsteel1
Will this exhaust work with the BMR 4 point sub frame connectors and the UMI torque arm relocation crossmember . Cant find any info on this .wondering if you did in testing . If it will this perfect set up for me
A definitive answer to your question is not known as all development was done on a stock configured vehicle.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust