Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
You're right, 2 weeks is way too long on my part. Hold on, leaving work now to drive up to Colorado to get it, then drive overnight back home to install it to get you a video ASAP
How'd the install go?
Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
How'd the install go?
Are you serious? I was joking, I'm not driving over half the US to pick up an exhaust. It hasn't shipped yet, and it's not my top priority project... more like fourth after a new fuel system, cam swap and getting my LSHombre finished.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Per your request Mad Machine...here's a couple of photos that show the connection points of the 50-state legal dual cat back to the outlets of the stock converters; the orange painted tubing components are our master sample parts.

I've been doing some work on my car lately and realized my passenger side cat differs from the pictures shown here. This looks like the later f body setup. My passenger side cat looks like this. Will the 50 state version include all necessary pieces to bolt up to both the early and later styles?

Old 10-02-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Are you serious? I was joking, I'm not driving over half the US to pick up an exhaust. It hasn't shipped yet, and it's not my top priority project... more like fourth after a new fuel system, cam swap and getting my LSHombre finished.
Oops. Didn't notice your location In your profile.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I have a question about the headers. I have the bassani true dual exhaust and it bolts right to the factory cats as your system. I was wondering is the an adapter pipe that goes from your headers to the exhaust that uses the same flange set up as the stock cats use. I saw in some of the pictures that I looks like a slip fit to your dual system and I was not sure if that was final. That is is just a thought if it does not bolt up that way. I know everyone loves Lt here but it would be a nice option if people what a header to go up to the factory exhaust or an exhaust that they have already bought and I would guess 15hp or so from the mid length headers.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Machine
I've been doing some work on my car lately and realized my passenger side cat differs from the pictures shown here. This looks like the later f body setup. My passenger side cat looks like this. Will the 50 state version include all necessary pieces to bolt up to both the early and later styles?

You have the early style converter set-up, which will require a cut to be made behind your passenger side cat and one to the mating leg of the Hooker X-pipe for installation in your car. Once the parts are fitted, you then need to weld the seam at the connection and install the O2 bung the we include with the Hooker system.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cambo3
I have a question about the headers. I have the bassani true dual exhaust and it bolts right to the factory cats as your system. I was wondering is the an adapter pipe that goes from your headers to the exhaust that uses the same flange set up as the stock cats use. I saw in some of the pictures that I looks like a slip fit to your dual system and I was not sure if that was final. That is is just a thought if it does not bolt up that way. I know everyone loves Lt here but it would be a nice option if people what a header to go up to the factory exhaust or an exhaust that they have already bought and I would guess 15hp or so from the mid length headers.
No, there are no adapters available to connect the Hooker mid-length headers up to the 50-state legal system if that's what you are asking. The headers are designed for direct connection to the race/off-road systems only.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

You have the early style converter set-up, which will require a cut to be made behind your passenger side cat and one to the mating leg of the Hooker X-pipe for installation in your car. Once the parts are fitted, you then need to weld the seam at the connection and install the O2 bung the we include with the Hooker system.
Thanks for the clarification on that. I suppose if I'm going to have to cut and weld on this exhaust no matter what, I might as wait until I'm ready for headers as well. I'm thinking long tube headers with A.I.R and EGR fittings, high flow bullet cats, and the Hooker dual exhaust. I want to do something similar to this Bassani exhaust setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ics-video.html

Name:  CustomizedBassaniDualExhaust006.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  CustomizedBassaniDualExhaust009.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  93.8 KB
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Any ideas when any more of cat back systems will be shipping? I have a set on order from one your dealers for over a month & they tell me it will be at least another month.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the clarification on that. I suppose if I'm going to have to cut and weld on this exhaust no matter what, I might as wait until I'm ready for headers as well. I'm thinking long tube headers with A.I.R and EGR fittings, high flow bullet cats, and the Hooker dual exhaust. I want to do something similar to this Bassani exhaust setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ics-video.html

A set-up like that should deliver good performance, but I don't understand the use of cats since the overall system is still not street legal with them. The bigger issue I see is the driver side cat being located directly under the fuel lines. That factory heat shield was not designed to guard against such a high level of direct heat.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A set-up like that should deliver good performance, but I don't understand the use of cats since the overall system is still not street legal with them. The bigger issue I see is the driver side cat being located directly under the fuel lines. That factory heat shield was not designed to guard against such a high level of direct heat.
A lot of state inspection stations just require a cat somewhere to pass visual inspection. My state is that way. The inspection guys aren't always sharp enough to tell if something isn't factory but they do know when there are no cats and it's a no go. Also, cars without cats stink. I'm buying your exhaust system and will be installing cats between it and my long tubes for both of these reasons.

As for the cat location, it'll be fine. Look at most of the catted ypipes. They place the cat right after the transmission brace where the indention in the floor is on the drivers side. There isn't a heat shield there at all. Lots of people running that kind of setup without any catastrophes.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
A lot of state inspection stations just require a cat somewhere to pass visual inspection. My state is that way. The inspection guys aren't always sharp enough to tell if something isn't factory but they do know when there are no cats and it's a no go. Also, cars without cats stink. I'm buying your exhaust system and will be installing cats between it and my long tubes for both of these reasons.

As for the cat location, it'll be fine. Look at most of the catted ypipes. They place the cat right after the transmission brace where the indention in the floor is on the drivers side. There isn't a heat shield there at all. Lots of people running that kind of setup without any catastrophes.
I gotcha, I figured your reasoning for doing so was along those lines. If you have to place the cat somewhere it would be much better behind the crossmember as you say from a safety perspective, although that is the opposite direction you want to go in terms of the functionality of the cat. Whatever you end up with, I hope it works out well for you and provides you with what you are looking for.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Buck99
Any ideas when any more of cat back systems will be shipping? I have a set on order from one your dealers for over a month & they tell me it will be at least another month.
Hello Buck99, I don't have access to the production schedule to be able to say where the next run is in the rotation at the moment. The fact that you have a pending order is a good thing for speeding up the build as quickly as possible as backorders do have a fluid affect on the schedule.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Do you know if there are any plans to offer a blackheart dual exhaust system for the LT1 fbody's? I'm assuming no, if not -

Any thoughts on modifying the LS1 system to work with Hooker LT1 longtube headers?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by endo1111
Do you know if there are any plans to offer a blackheart dual exhaust system for the LT1 fbody's? I'm assuming no, if not -

Any thoughts on modifying the LS1 system to work with Hooker LT1 longtube headers?
There are no plans within the current development schedule to produce an LT1 specific exhaust system for the early 4th-gens.

However, we do offer a body brace notch plate for those cars as part of our LS swap system for those cars that lets you run any exhaust system designed for a 98-2002 LS car on the older cars. Using the notch plate and the current dual exhaust system would make it fairly easy to adapt the exhaust to a set of LT1 headers.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Teching In

There are no plans within the current development schedule to produce an LT1 specific exhaust system for the early 4th-gens.

However, we do offer a body brace notch plate for those cars as part of our LS swap system for those cars that lets you run any exhaust system designed for a 98-2002 LS car on the older cars. Using the notch plate and the current dual exhaust system would make it fairly easy to adapt the exhaust to a set of LT1 headers.
Hey thanks, I will get the notch plate then and try to make the LS system work with my LT1.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by endo1111
Hey thanks, I will get the notch plate then and try to make the LS system work with my LT1.
Glad to hear it...if you're curious, here's what the installation of the notch plate looks like under the car:

Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02

Pretty much this. A coworker of mine has a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T with full length headers, high flow cats and exhaust. Although the car failed inspection the first time around, it was due to a readiness monitor issue that his tuner corrected. Once that was fixed he passed no problem.

That being said, I may still leave the stock manifolds and cats on for now. While I would love to do headers and exhaust at the same time, that will involve more time, money, and effort then I care to spend at the moment. I can swing doing an exhaust right now, but not also headers.

This is why I've been interested in the 50 state version. I was hoping that it would be a true bolt on system with no welding, cutting, or bending necessary. While I do work in a shop (dealership), I don't have access to a welder or pipe bender here. The only exhaust work we do is replacing the OEM pieces that bolt together. Would it be possible to use a clamp or something to hold the passenger side cat to the exhaust long enough to drive it somewhere to get welded together?
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Pretty much this. A coworker of mine has a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T with full length headers, high flow cats and exhaust. Although the car failed inspection the first time around, it was due to a readiness monitor issue that his tuner corrected. Once that was fixed he passed no problem.

That being said, I may still leave the stock manifolds and cats on for now. While I would love to do headers and exhaust at the same time, that will involve more time, money, and effort then I care to spend at the moment. I can swing doing an exhaust right now, but not also headers.

This is why I've been interested in the 50 state version. I was hoping that it would be a true bolt on system with no welding, cutting, or bending necessary. While I do work in a shop (dealership), I don't have access to a welder or pipe bender here. The only exhaust work we do is replacing the OEM pieces that bolt together. Would it be possible to use a clamp or something to hold the passenger side cat to the exhaust long enough to drive it somewhere to get welded together?
You won't need to clamp it just to get it to a place that can weld it for you since you will be cutting the inlet tube on the exhaust a little long to overlap the outlet pipe coming out of the right side cat. The center exhaust hanger is just behind that position, so everything will be supported just fine to make it to a muffler shop/fabrication shop.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

You won't need to clamp it just to get it to a place that can weld it for you since you will be cutting the inlet tube on the exhaust a little long to overlap the outlet pipe coming out of the right side cat. The center exhaust hanger is just behind that position, so everything will be supported just fine to make it to a muffler shop/fabrication shop.
Ah, I must have missed the part about the pipes overlaping. I was thinking they would be the same diameter and have to be butt welded together. Thanks for all your responses, they have been very helpful.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust