Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it is possible to start with the 50 state version and then change to off road?

I -just- got a 2002 WS6 with stock exhaust. I'd like to start with this as my exhaust option and then move to heads/cam/long-tubes with this exhaust in 2017 ... if that makes sense ...
Old 03-09-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonS
So it is possible to start with the 50 state version and then change to off road?

I -just- got a 2002 WS6 with stock exhaust. I'd like to start with this as my exhaust option and then move to heads/cam/long-tubes with this exhaust in 2017 ... if that makes sense ...
Yes because it requires a little custom fab work to mate up with long tubes regardless of which version you get. When you're ready to go to long tubes you'll just need to purchase a couple 3"-2.5" reducers and maybe a few inches of 2.5" tube and have it welded or clamped up.

Now if you're referring to switching to their mid-length headers later on, I can't answer that. I don't think they have any plans to sell the different adapters separately, but Toddoky would have to confirm.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
Yes because it requires a little custom fab work to mate up with long tubes regardless of which version you get. When you're ready to go to long tubes you'll just need to purchase a couple 3"-2.5" reducers and maybe a few inches of 2.5" tube and have it welded or clamped up.

Now if you're referring to switching to their mid-length headers later on, I can't answer that. I don't think they have any plans to sell the different adapters separately, but Toddoky would have to confirm.
There are no plans on our part to sell adapters to convert the 50-state cat-back over to the off-road exhaust version.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Toddoky -

Any word on the timing of the 50-state legal dyno run?

Ultimately, it'd be great to have the same vehicle with a baseline run, a run with the 50 state legal version, and a run with the headers and true dual setup. I know there'd be a little cost with that, but I think it could go a long way to dismissing that the midlengths are a bottleneck, or that the 2.5" piping isn't efficient. My point is, it could be a good investment to get people into your product.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Hey Toddoky -

Any word on the timing of the 50-state legal dyno run?

Ultimately, it'd be great to have the same vehicle with a baseline run, a run with the 50 state legal version, and a run with the headers and true dual setup. I know there'd be a little cost with that, but I think it could go a long way to dismissing that the midlengths are a bottleneck, or that the 2.5" piping isn't efficient. My point is, it could be a good investment to get people into your product.
I can definitely see that being advantages and it will probably happen sometime this Spring, although I can't say when since we have a very busy development schedule.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can definitely see that being advantages and it will probably happen sometime this Spring, although I can't say when since we have a very busy development schedule.
Priorities, man, it's all about priorities. What's more important than a 15+ year old platform? We're talking the almighty LS1 here, the engine that was blessed by the hand of Zeus himself!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think i'm going to pull the trigger on this setup, but i will be modifying it to work with my longtubes. Anybody know which configuration is going to be the easiest to modify for this purpose? My thought was the off road version would be the easiest to modify based on the photos, but wanted to know if anybody had any experience.

Also, what is the primary difference between the $783 system, and the $1000 system? Is it 409 vs 304 ss?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

304 is far better and why it cost more. 409 will pit and rust over time even tho its stainless.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
304 is far better and why it cost more. 409 will pit and rust over time even tho its stainless.
Right, I'm aware the 304 has a higher chromium and nickel content, but honestly my car is only used in nice weather, so i don't think the extra cost is really justified. I've had the original Aluminized TSP duals on my car for about 6 years, and they barely have any rust. I just wasn't sure if that was the only difference or not.

I'm more curious which system would be easier to modify, if i'm going to use it with my longtubes. It appears the 'off road' system has an extra clamp on the passenger side before the X pipe.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For LT's, you'd want the "catback" setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cats-home.html
Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I ended up ordering the 'off-road' system, the same as him. I'll be adapting it to my longtubes over the next couple of weeks. I'll post a few sound clips of the difference between my TSP dumped duals, and this system, as well as some clearance shots.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a permalink to my experience with adapting it to my longtubes. If you ask me, Hooker took it into account that people would do this adaptation and designed the system so you could easily do so.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19219838
Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've jumped in and bought the Off Road version(70501413-RHKR) for my '00 SS. I also ordered SE 1 7/8 headers on Friday. Looks like the only other items I need to purchase are the following:

(2) Flomaster R3025 reducers
(2) 3" band clamps for clamping reducers to headers
(2) 2.5" band clamps for clamping reducers to TS's

Does this look like everything I need for a non-catted conversion to LT's?

Anyone have questions or would like photos of anything during my install?

Last edited by rybern; 06-12-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as an FYI, i had some issues with the supplied clamps leaking where the reducers came together with the system, and also on the passengers side before the X Pipe. I bought some dynomax band clamps and that seems to have solved it. I also noticed there is a small pinhole leak in the weld on the rear most side of the x-pipe. After a couple of months with the system installed, I'm still very pleased for the price point. It made me actually want to drive my car again, where as with the TSP dumped duals, I was tired of it after about 15 minutes.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on this kit to replace my Ypipe/GMMG setup. I needed something that would flow better and wouldn't have as much of the in-cabin drone that Ypipe setups are notorious for. Fingers crossed that this kit will do the trick.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Just as an FYI, i had some issues with the supplied clamps leaking where the reducers came together with the system, and also on the passengers side before the X Pipe. I bought some dynomax band clamps and that seems to have solved it. I also noticed there is a small pinhole leak in the weld on the rear most side of the x-pipe. After a couple of months with the system installed, I'm still very pleased for the price point. It made me actually want to drive my car again, where as with the TSP dumped duals, I was tired of it after about 15 minutes.
That's a little disappointing. I ordered mine, and have the TD portion in and am awaiting the headers to ship. I am doing the full Blackheart setup with their midlengths. I didn't take it all out of the box yet, but from the few pieces I inspected, the welds looked good - I didn't check the X-pipe though. The clamps look nice and beefy. Hopefully it all goes together (and stays together) well.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM
12 Second Club

My off road kit came in yesterday. I havent looked at everything yet, but nice looking parts parts so far. There are a few burrs here and there and the inside of the X Pipe looks pretty rugged. I plan to extend a carbide bit on a die grinder to smooth it out a bit. I'm pretty excited about installing this system.

Atrus, I'm in a similar situation as you. My pipes are here but my LT headers won't be until Monday. So I plan to be start on my exhaust first over the weekend. I hope the rest of your install goes smoothly.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rybern
My off road kit came in yesterday. I havent looked at everything yet, but nice looking parts parts so far. There are a few burrs here and there and the inside of the X Pipe looks pretty rugged. I plan to extend a carbide bit on a die grinder to smooth it out a bit. I'm pretty excited about installing this system.

Atrus, I'm in a similar situation as you. My pipes are here but my LT headers won't be until Monday. So I plan to be start on my exhaust first over the weekend. I hope the rest of your install goes smoothly.
Thanks! Same with yours. Mine should be all plug and play, going with the whole system and all.

I'm actually heading out of town for a car show on Wed, so I don't know that I'll have time to get it installed and tuned before I go on a road trip. I'll most likely get the install done over the longer weekend of the 4th.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Teching In

I installed mine the other day. I shot a very short clip. I'll have to get a better one once I get tuned. I just bought my car 3 weeks ago and it had a Flowmaster catback with stock cats and manifolds to this system with the headers and no cats. I'd say it's only slightly louder at idle versus my flowmaster, very similar just cruising down the road, but get on it at all and it opens up much louder than the flowmaster did. It sounds absolutely incredible and I haven't even gone past 1/2 to 3/4 throttle yet.

This video is with my t-tops open.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_p...ew?usp=sharing

Also thanks to Mike at WS6 Store! Great guy and super fast shipment.

Last edited by DoubleApex; 06-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Car is 18" to the K member as recommended by folks on here. LT's won't be here until Monday, but I have began. All old exhaust has been removed(still have to remove manifolds).

Stock exhaust weight including everything in photo below is 67lbs (w/o manifolds). I plan to do a total weight of my old exhaust and compare it to my new which is 1 7/8 LT and the offroad BH.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I cleaned up the inside of the X-pipe a little. Below is a photo after a little bit of progress. I wish I had a before photo. I have no idea if this will help anything, but my machinist impulses took over and I have to smooth it out. I used a spade bit extension and a carbide burr follow by a sanding flapper.

Name:  20160617_190441_zps43axoo2x.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  240.1 KB

Name:  20160616_150648_zpsmv6i45v0.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  129.6 KB
Name:  20160616_150556_zpsx7lbcfq1.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  174.2 KB

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust