Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A question for folks that installed LT's. I thought I read somewhere where someone suggested starting at the back of the car when installing the BH system to LT's. Can someone confirm this? Instructions say to start with the X-pipe and mate it to the mid length headers.... but of course I'm going with LT's so it may be little different.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still waiting on my headers to ship. They were backordered and listed with a 6/17 ship date. I can understand production slipping slightly, but I've heard nothing from customer service, despite two e-mails just asking for an update.

Looks to be a great product, but the customer service sure could use some work.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, apparently, the headers are now backordered until 7/5 and then they'll ship. That blows my hope of installing over the 4th.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

That sucks man. Sorry to hear this.

If it makes you feel any better, my car is still up on blocks. LT's did come in yesterday, but I'm working solo and it's taking longer than expected. I'm kind of enjoying it though.

I would allow for a day and a half to remove old parts, do polymounts and have it ready for new system. Don't want to get in a hurry with this stuff IMO.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
A question for folks that installed LT's. I thought I read somewhere where someone suggested starting at the back of the car when installing the BH system to LT's. Can someone confirm this? Instructions say to start with the X-pipe and mate it to the mid length headers.... but of course I'm going with LT's so it may be little different.
Yeah man start front the back to the front. So you know how much to cut from the reducer cones.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by soloman369
Yeah man start front the back to the front. So you know how much to cut from the reducer cones.
That's what I did. I started at the X Pipe and went backward(leaving everything loose.

Questions:
1) Will I have to remove anything after the X pipe when I mate up with the headers? Or can the reducers and turns be fitted onto the headers and mated up with the installed X pipe already installed?

2) Did anyone have to bend the heat shield that's above the over axle pipe? Mine doesn't have much room for movement. Yes, I spaced the tank shield "hat" up like the instructions say. I'm a little concerned that it could cause a rattle.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check below for new video.

Last edited by DoubleApex; 07-06-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Delete video
Old 07-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Teching In

And a higher RPM drive by with no view at all. I need to get a better video but you can at least hear the sound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...W9vSTNkV2l4dG8
Old 07-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Teching In

Ok sorry I did another video. This one should be much better. I did 3 drive by's here.

Last edited by DoubleApex; 07-06-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleApex
Ok sorry I did another video. This one should be much better. I did 3 drive by's here.

Hooker Blackheart Headers & Duals LS1 00 Camaro Z28 - YouTube
Sounds good! What's your setup? Cats..... headers?
Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
Sounds good! What's your setup? Cats..... headers?
Just the hooker blackheart headers and full exhaust with no cats and a lid.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleApex
Just the hooker blackheart headers and full exhaust with no cats and a lid.
Thanks, sounds good
Old 07-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
Thanks, sounds good
Thanks. It was a bit of a risk since I couldn't find many videos of this exhaust, but I'm very very happy with it. To me it sounds absolutely perfect.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

I fired up my 00 SS for the first time in 2 weeks after adding SE 1 7/8 LT's, poly mounts and the BH True Duals. Wow, I'me very happy with the sound. I stock exhaust with MagnaFlo muffler. The difference is substantial. It has a nice deep tone.

I used the FM 3 to 2.5 reducers with a slight modification to the driver side bend. I had to extend both ends of the passenger side bend pipe to make it all work out but I was able to use unused parts of the BH kit to do this. I also had to cut off 1" from the driver side SE header and 1/2" from the passenger side header to make everything work out. But everything seems to be on nice and snug, no rubbing and plenty of ground clearance. I'm very happy so far.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds great - hopefully I can get mine actually in my hands soon!

When I ordered in early June, the headers were on backorder with a 6/17 estimate. That date came and passed. I called Holley a couple of weeks ago, and was told due to quality issues, they'd be available on 7/5. I just called again per the customer service agent's request (she told me to call at 8:30 on 7/5 so she could get it expedited out to me), and I am now told they are still on backorder with a 7/19 estimate. Very frustrating. If I don't get them soon, I may just have to cancel the Headers and go with some Speed Engineering LT's and mate them up.

From what I have sitting in my garage, the quality seems great. The availability/ customer service aspect seems to really be lacking.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Working for an automotive aftermarket company myself, sometimes things just happen in production that are out of their control. Not saying i wouldn't be frustrated if it were me in your shoes, just offering an explanation. I've had entire production launches held up over a $.10 fastener with a special coating that couldn't be bought off the shelf.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I totally get it - I've worked in automotive for most of my career - just frustrating that I can't get an answer as to when they'd be produced. I can't imagine these are a very high volume product....shouldn't be too difficult to get a more solid estimate.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rybern
Car is 18" to the K member as recommended by folks on here. LT's won't be here until Monday, but I have began. All old exhaust has been removed(still have to remove manifolds).

Stock exhaust weight including everything in photo below is 67lbs (w/o manifolds). I plan to do a total weight of my old exhaust and compare it to my new which is 1 7/8 LT and the offroad BH.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I cleaned up the inside of the X-pipe a little. Below is a photo after a little bit of progress. I wish I had a before photo. I have no idea if this will help anything, but my machinist impulses took over and I have to smooth it out. I used a spade bit extension and a carbide burr follow by a sanding flapper.

Must be this "elevated standard" I have heard so much about
Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Must be this "elevated standard" I have heard so much about
No joke. It was a comfortable height for me to work under.... keep in mind, I'm only 5'7" and 150lbs. Less height may have worked, but it wouldn't have been as pleasant.

BTW, please remove photos when you quote.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Anyone know if this will work with BMR's tunnel mount cross member?

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust