Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My car passes emissions now w/o cats but i'm sure they will start sniffing soon. So your 50 state cat system will cover me in the event my state starts sniffing the tail pipes?

In order to pass emissions, you'll have to install the cat-back version of the system onto the outlets of your factory catalytic converters; there is no other emissions legal configuration.

So... your true duel Black hart system(mid headers and true duels tubes) will not do this w/o me cutting the pipes and installing some form of cat,is this correct??

I might be asking the same question but before I sink 1800 bucks I would like to be very sure what im getting/not getting.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
My car passes emissions now w/o cats but i'm sure they will start sniffing soon. So your 50 state cat system will cover me in the event my state starts sniffing the tail pipes?

In order to pass emissions, you'll have to install the cat-back version of the system onto the outlets of your factory catalytic converters; there is no other emissions legal configuration.

So... your true duel Black hart system(mid headers and true duels tubes) will not do this w/o me cutting the pipes and installing some form of cat,is this correct??

I might be asking the same question but before I sink 1800 bucks I would like to be very sure what im getting/not getting.
There is a race version of the dual system, which connects to the mid-length headers, and the cat-back system version that connects to the outlets of the stock cats. The cat-back system is the only one the provides for legal street operation of your vehicle by the letter of the law...you cannot legally remove properly functioning OE cats from your car.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok....I'm back. I've been looking and reading about your BH ststem. I was not understanding what you were telling me,now i do. You have a long tube header that connects to your true duel exhaust. How far does the LT's hang down under the car,any tighter then some other brands or about the same? I have SLP with a hacked hanging Y pipe that hits most speed bumps,so at this point anything else will be a move in the right direction.
I guess the system is a hit ha??
Old 11-29-2016, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
There is a race version of the dual system, which connects to the mid-length headers, and the cat-back system version that connects to the outlets of the stock cats. The cat-back system is the only one the provides for legal street operation of your vehicle by the letter of the law...you cannot legally remove properly functioning OE cats from your car.
From my understanding its state and local laws that determine laws about cat removal. Your not saying there is a federal law are you ?
Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omc8
From my understanding its state and local laws that determine laws about cat removal. Your not saying there is a federal law are you ?
Federal Law

Rules for Replacing Converters
In 1986, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency issued new guidelines for the construction, efficiency and installation of aftermarket catalytic converters. All CleanAir converters listed in this catalog have been designed, tested and manufactured to meet this policy.

In addition, CleanAir converter listed in this catalog is appropriate for use under the current requirements of the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.).
E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter
2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement
3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented
4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.
Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original
2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)
3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer
4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle
5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application
6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Yes, there are federal and state laws that make it absolutely illegal to remove a properly functioning catalytic converter. There is no gray area within the law to make it open to interpretation.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a long tube header that connects to your true duel exhaust. How far does the LT's hang down under the car,any tighter then some other brands or about the same?
Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of the ground clearance of Blackheart LT's compared to the Blackheart Mid tubes?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also like to see a picture from the side.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
You have a long tube header that connects to your true duel exhaust. How far does the LT's hang down under the car,any tighter then some other brands or about the same?
EVERY longtube on the market except the original slp design tucks up the same. EVERY longtube on the market is tucked so high that if you run a straight pipe off of the driver header, the pipe will be rubbing the underside of the car. This is why connector pipes off teh driver side either have a flat spot pre fabbed into them or they dip down to clear that floor brace under the car because EVERY longtube on the market is tucked so high.

These cars are a clusterf@#k in the exhaust department
Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
EVERY longtube on the market except the original slp design tucks up the same. EVERY longtube on the market is tucked so high that if you run a straight pipe off of the driver header, the pipe will be rubbing the underside of the car. This is why connector pipes off teh driver side either have a flat spot pre fabbed into them or they dip down to clear that floor brace under the car because EVERY longtube on the market is tucked so high.

I don't understand WHY no aftermarket (to my knowledge) makes the driver side pipe oval like stock. This would maybe improve 1" clearance for what, $40 more? I have about 3" clearance with my exhaust and it has scraped alot, I'd gladly pay extra for it.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Teching In

So it sounds like the Blackheart midlengths are the only way to go if your car is lowered?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _JB_
I don't understand WHY no aftermarket (to my knowledge) makes the driver side pipe oval like stock. This would maybe improve 1" clearance for what, $40 more? I have about 3" clearance with my exhaust and it has scraped alot, I'd gladly pay extra for it.
An oval 3" pipe is about 2-1/8" so yeah nearly a full inch of savings. Thats a tone when you are working with so little.

What I used to do was put the round pipe in a vice and squeeze it into an oval. Worked great!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ian64
So it sounds like the Blackheart midlengths are the only way to go if your car is lowered?
The mid length header may dump higher than a longtube but the connection pipe is still gonna be in the same spot. The only ground clearance advantage to the Blackheart system is due to it being 2.5" pipe. As I keep saying all headers on the market have the collectors so high that a straight pipe off of them would be rubbing the floor brace
Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mid length header may dump higher than a longtube but the connection pipe is still gonna be in the same spot. The only ground clearance advantage to the Blackheart system is due to it being 2.5" pipe. As I keep saying all headers on the market have the collectors so high that a straight pipe off of them would be rubbing the floor brace
Hooker does crimp the pipe slightly for clearance with the floorboard. The 2.5" pipe can be tucked really close to the body (I am a little too close and am getting banging here and there). It has the same - or better - clearance than my stock "Y" did.

My SFC's hang lower than any part of my exhaust
Old 12-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't checked this thread in a while. Cool to see you guys developing a LT friendly setup for your exhaust. Was considering getting my LM1 cat back re-welded and adapted for the longer TSP y-pipe so I can have a full exhaust out the back. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread a little closer now.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Hooker does crimp the pipe slightly for clearance with the floorboard. The 2.5" pipe can be tucked really close to the body (I am a little too close and am getting banging here and there). It has the same - or better - clearance than my stock "Y" did.

Same here. Got 1 7/8" Kooks underneath the car with a 2" drop and the only thing I've ever scraped is the BMR 4 pts. Just gotta be careful when you go somewhere with it; it doesn't make the car un-drivable.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS

Loosen up your clamps, shove a 1x2 piece of wood between the floor and pipes anywhere it's close, use a jack to push the exhaust up against the car (optional), tighten the crap out of your clamps.

I've always been able to get a great tuck without banging using that method. Once the clamps are tight the whole thing is solid.

I just worked on a catback last weekend where the ipipe was literally sitting against the floor in the tunnel and you couldn't move it by hand because of how tight the pipes fit together. Loosened clamps, pry bar'd it over, shoved wood blocks in, tightened the tar out of the clamps, got a good 3/4" of air space afterward.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
Haven't checked this thread in a while. Cool to see you guys developing a LT friendly setup for your exhaust. Was considering getting my LM1 cat back re-welded and adapted for the longer TSP y-pipe so I can have a full exhaust out the back. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread a little closer now.
Same. If I'd known they were gonna come out with it so soon, I would've waited. Ended up buying the kit for mid-lengths and I thought I'd have gotten around to fabbing up a connection by now. But since it's still not done, waiting wouldn't have set me back at all.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the SLP headers that are on my car are 3" off the ground,I'm at factory hight. The Y pipe hangs down also. These came on the car and are in great condition. That's why I asked for the side pictures. I don't want to buy a exhaust system for 2K and find out the collectors hang down the same and I still wouldn't be able to lower my car.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust