Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Wow.....the new 1 7/8" LT's are $1k? That puts this system only a couple hundred (if that depending on vendor) away from the kooks.
Add the price for kooks headers with their dual system.... Compared to the Blackheart lts and dual system
Old 10-09-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow.....the new 1 7/8" LT's are $1k? That puts this system only a couple hundred (if that depending on vendor) away from the kooks.
I'm not sure if I understand the basis for your comparison...a comparative check of the prices of the parts in question(Summit and Holley websites) produced the following: Kooks 1-7/8" LT headers -$1,018 Kooks 304SS dual exhaust -$1,835 Hooker 1-7/8" LT headers -$999 Hooker 304SS dual exhaust -$999 note: you can also purchase the Hooker exhaust system in 409SS for further savings.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm saying you can get the kooks system for less than $2800. It would be up to each their own whether a couple hundred dollars are worth 1/2" and better tips.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am trying to dig up my original stock dyno chart from 2014, but I had the car re-dyno'd a couple of weeks back... I used the same dynojet at the same facility with the same operator, and very similar weather conditions on my 2000 SS. I know two runs are never the same, but I feel it's as close as I can get with a 2 year gap between them!

Stock - I had deleted AIR and EGR and had an SLP lid, that's it. I had the stock GM SS/WS6 exhaust - none of the SLP upgraded options. I put down 312/326.

With the full Blackheart system (midlenghts and TD's), LS6 intake, and a mild tune, I put down 348/351.

I'd call it worthwhile. Sounds great, was like $1600 for the whole system, great clearance, easy to install, and pretty decent bump in power. I am satisfied with it! Tips even look decent on it as well.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^^^The LS6 and the tune COULD be making up a big chunk of your power gain.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm saying you can get the kooks system for less than $2800. It would be up to each their own whether a couple hundred dollars are worth 1/2" and better tips.
A couple hundred? The difference comes out to be $800 when I do the math and that doesn't include the $300 in add-on rear suspension parts you need to buy to be able to install the Kooks system. I don't have any negative thoughts towards anyone who chooses to use any other type or brand of exhaust as what works well for some doesn't work for others.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
^^^^^^The LS6 and the tune COULD be making up a big chunk of your power gain.
I don't think that's it...LS6 doesn't add that much, and I have a 2000 M6 - there isn't a whole lot to tune. He didn't even touch my timing tables, just leaned it out a little for the most part.

Agreed, though, I am not saying the exhaust was all of it, but I think it was a significant portion. Realistically, 36WHP ain't too shabby for an intake, tune, and exhaust that sounds this well, fits this well, and was this easy to install.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
I don't think that's it...LS6 doesn't add that much, and I have a 2000 M6 - there isn't a whole lot to tune. He didn't even touch my timing tables, just leaned it out a little for the most part.

Agreed, though, I am not saying the exhaust was all of it, but I think it was a significant portion. Realistically, 36WHP ain't too shabby for an intake, tune, and exhaust that sounds this well, fits this well, and was this easy to install.
An LS6 intake over an LS1 intake and correcting the fueling in the tune would be worth 20hp easily. Even though it was the same dyno I think the fact it was 2 years later could be a 5-10hp shift. As long as the engine is still healthy its looser than it was was 2 years prior as well.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to dig up my original stock dyno chart from 2014, but I had the car re-dyno'd a couple of weeks back... I used the same dynojet at the same facility with the same operator, and very similar weather conditions on my 2000 SS. I know two runs are never the same, but I feel it's as close as I can get with a 2 year gap between them!

Stock - I had deleted AIR and EGR and had an SLP lid, that's it. I had the stock GM SS/WS6 exhaust - none of the SLP upgraded options. I put down 312/326.

With the full Blackheart system (midlenghts and TD's), LS6 intake, and a mild tune, I put down 348/351.

I'd call it worthwhile. Sounds great, was like $1600 for the whole system, great clearance, easy to install, and pretty decent bump in power. I am satisfied with it! Tips even look decent on it as well.
Thanks for that bit of info. I appreciate it. My car is just a cruiser and I would be happy with those numbers.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It certainly pepped it up. I honestly noticed a difference right away. For what it's worth, I had the LS6 intake on since April, and got the tune a week or so after the install. So, I did get to feel the result of just the exhaust and I could tell a difference. It just breathes easier, you can feel it.

Mine's a cruiser too, being a vert. I truly love the sound - I don't think you'd be disappointed from a sound perspective.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

It certainly pepped it up. I honestly noticed a difference right away. For what it's worth, I had the LS6 intake on since April, and got the tune a week or so after the install. So, I did get to feel the result of just the exhaust and I could tell a difference. It just breathes easier, you can feel it.

Mine's a cruiser too, being a vert. I truly love the sound - I don't think you'd be disappointed from a sound perspective.
I've got the exhaust on now, but haven't installed the LS6 intake yet. It's been sitting in the garage along with the new valley cover since last winter. The weather got nice and I wanted to drive the car. It takes me much longer to install parts than most here because of my work schedule and kids.

I noticed a difference after I got the Hooker Exhaust installed. So far I am very happy with it. I'll get a tune after I get the intake installed.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dp121
I've got the exhaust on now, but haven't installed the LS6 intake yet. It's been sitting in the garage along with the new valley cover since last winter. The weather got nice and I wanted to drive the car. It takes me much longer to install parts than most here because of my work schedule and kids.

I noticed a difference after I got the Hooker Exhaust installed. So far I am very happy with it. I'll get a tune after I get the intake installed.
Ha, I totally get it! I am the same way. I took my LS1 intake off in December. I completed installing my LS6 intake in late April or early May. Ridiculous how little time I have to do these things. I can barely get out there to wash the car!

Good luck with the install!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Ha, I totally get it! I am the same way. I took my LS1 intake off in December. I completed installing my LS6 intake in late April or early May. Ridiculous how little time I have to do these things. I can barely get out there to wash the car!

Good luck with the install!
Thanks. I'll need that and a lot of time.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry if this question Haas been answered already, but combing through pages of posts is a hassle.

Anyway, I'm assuming since people were saying its not too difficult to mate the midkength version to non hooker lts, that the lt version is similar?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Bring it to a muffler shop, or buy some pipe yourself and weld them together.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your new header/duels exhaust system is just what I'm looking for. It sound really nice in the videos. What the differents between the 409 stainless and the 304 stainless?? The price is about 200 bucks. So what im understanding is the shorter (mid) headers connect to the pipe tucked up closer to the body pretty much like the stock exhaust did. I bought my car with SLP headers n Y pipe going to a Borla system out back. The SLP **** hang down and the Borls sounds like ****(to me),rasby!! I'm wanting to lower the car so I'm looking at your BH system to be able to so. My car passes emissions now w/o cats but i'm sure they will start sniffing soon. So your 50 state cat system will cover me in the event my state starts sniffing the tail pipes?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

- 50 state is only a catback, so you'd need to run stock manifolds

- 304 vs 409....the 409 is polished to a mirror finish on the entire exhaust. On the 304 system, it's a matte finish which may corrode a little (similar to stock stainless catback), but the mufflers and tips are still polished 409.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

- 50 state is only a catback, so you'd need to run stock manifolds

- 304 vs 409....the 409 is polished to a mirror finish on the entire exhaust. On the 304 system, it's a matte finish which may corrode a little (similar to stock stainless catback), but the mufflers and tips are still polished 409.
You're off a little here Atrus_SS, so I'll provide a correction for everyone reading. The tubing in both the 409SS and 304SS systems is mill-finished; there is no polished tubing supplied in either version of the system. The same polished 304SS mufflers and tips are used in both systems.

The 18% chromium content of 304SS will resist corrosion far better/longer than the 409SS version, which is what you'll be paying the premium for to purchase the 304SS system.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So......What two parts do I need for a full system that will pass emission??
Will I have to buy any gaskets with this setup,and if so which ones?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
So......What two parts do I need for a full system that will pass emission??
Will I have to buy any gaskets with this setup,and if so which ones?
In order to pass emissions, you'll have to install the cat-back version of the system onto the outlets of your factory catalytic converters; there is no other emissions legal configuration.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 4th-gen F-body Headers and Exhaust