Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side PCV elbow

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left side PCV elbow

Hey guys, I'm installing a catch can and am going to change the PCV routing as well. I have everything I need to do it except for the elbow that fits in the grommet on the driver's side valve cover. It appears I can't get that part separately and it looks like it's not even meant to come off the stock system.

Can anyone who has had to improvise with this in the past let me know what size elbow you used to fit into the grommet? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when mine broke i used a matching size hose with 2 clamps. why do you want to remove the grommet?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
when mine broke i used a matching size hose with 2 clamps. why do you want to remove the grommet?
lol I'm not looking to remove the grommet, I just need another elbow to fit into it. I'm pretty much making my own custom PCV system with fuel hose to be compatible with my catch can. I wanted to know what size elbow fit into that grommet so I know which elbow I need to order.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00-Z28
lol I'm not looking to remove the grommet, I just need another elbow to fit into it. I'm pretty much making my own custom PCV system with fuel hose to be compatible with my catch can. I wanted to know what size elbow fit into that grommet so I know which elbow I need to order.
oh okay, it was a 3/8 elbow iirc. i just use 2 clamps and called it good lol
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
oh okay, it was a 3/8 elbow iirc. i just use 2 clamps and called it good lol
lol nice, I'll try it out. Thanks, man!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you going to use that point for? Fresh air in or cc vapors out?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same issues. The stock grommet gets rock hard. You can order a new one. Then I used the 90 degree elbow form one of those el cheapo breathers from autozone.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately, 3/8 is way too small to fit inside the grommet. Even 1/2 is too small. It looks like it might be 9/16, but I'm not certain. I guess I'll just have to find out the hard way since nobody knows.

Originally Posted by svede1212
What are you going to use that point for? Fresh air in or cc vapors out?
I'm not sure as to what point you're referring to, but the left side valve cover vents the vapors out. I need a proper size elbow that reduces from the valve cover grommet to the 3/8 fuel line.

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
I had the same issues. The stock grommet gets rock hard. You can order a new one. Then I used the 90 degree elbow form one of those el cheapo breathers from autozone.
The grommet is fine, luckily it still seems to have plenty of life left in it, I just don't know the size of the elbow that fits inside it. I might look into that breather elbow, but i'm assuming it's not a reducer elbow, right?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Make sure you know that most fuel line is soft wall and will collapse under vacuum. Use a fuel vapor rated hose or auto trans cooler hose is stiff wall.

Your system should work as follows. Passenger side cap rear barb, (if early LS1) and use front barb for incoming filtered fresh MAF metered air from TB or air bridge downstream of the MAF. Intake manifold vacuum barb on passenger side of intake manifold to the outlet of the can, inlet of can to the rear of drivers side valve cover. As the early LS engines do NOT have a restriction orifice you will want an inline PCV valve or place a PCV valve (#PV761A has a 90* top and fits right into the grommet on the drivers side and flows to V8 spec) into the driverside valve cover to ensure the flow rate is not to great. Later LS valve covers have a fixed orifice restrictor in the barb and far better baffle in the underside to reduce windage ingestion.

What catchcan are you using?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

That part # is exactly what I needed to know, thanks. I also appreciate the tips.

I already got the stiff wall fuel line, so I'm good on that front.

That PCV elbow will be perfect though. I wasn't planning on using the original anyway, so I'll be killing two birds with one stone.

I purchased an elite catch can. I have temporarily installed it using the stock setup and mapping so at least I'm no longer getting oil in my intake. Not the most efficient setup, I know. I just need to cap off the rear passenger stem and replace the tubing. Now that I know what elbow to use, the rest should be simple.

Quick Reply: Left side PCV elbow