Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can and LS6 valley cover. Unbelievable amount of oil in intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

There may be some truth to the PCV helping with fuel economy due to the fact there could be unspent fuel in the blow-by gases. But do I want to introduce it back into my engine? My car is not my daily driver so I will say NO!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
There may be some truth to the PCV helping with fuel economy due to the fact there could be unspent fuel in the blow-by gases. But do I want to introduce it back into my engine? My car is not my daily driver so I will say NO!
Agree, you don't want that, contaminated intake charge raises the flash point of AF mixture and could cause detonation, efs with your tune and deposits build up on the back of valves and plugs, it should be avoided at all costs. If it takes a dual catch can and /or an inline pcv valve, rerouting of hoses, do it, this is costing you power and doing damage.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Racers use vacuum pumps in order to use low tension rings for less drag which helps those types of rings stay in contact with the cylinder walls to retain cylinder pressure, reduce windage issues, thus making HP. They do not use it for crankcase ventilation, they use it for crankcase vacuum. BIG DIFFERENCE!
Most new ring sets are low tension. Esp the oil rings.
A vacuum pump isnt just used by racers. GZ Motorsports sells quite a few mechanical vacuum pump kits that are still pretty popular.
The vacuum pump also does exactly like the phrase says and pulls out crankcase pressure which would build against the bottom of the piston and possibly push out seals and gaskets. The only difference is where the vacuum is created. The stock pcv system does it after the valve cover the vacuum pump does it (normally) at the valve cover. The pump obviously moves more air, but that is what it is designed to do.
Excessive blowby should be fixed if possible and excessive windage. If it cannot be fixed, for one reason or another, then at least the air should be filtered. Whatever is done after that depends on what the customer wants. The train of thought varies greatly at that point

Try getting oil on the track from a downdraft tube etc and see if you get another pass

Last edited by tech@WS6store; 06-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Try getting oil on the track from a downdraft tube etc and see if you get another pass
LOL!! Got that right!

Quick Reply: Catch can and LS6 valley cover. Unbelievable amount of oil in intake