Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N oil filter failure...beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and if KN was a sponsor he would have indirectly told everyone to take a hike!
Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Wix XPs/NAPA Platinums ARE very good, strong, filters.

BUT, their filtering efficiency levels are NOT quite as good as the; Amsoil EaOs, Mobil 1s, or Fram Ultra filters (but then their flow rates might also be higher than those filters).
Old 01-18-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use to buy Purolator filters by the thousands each year(1.38 a piece!), they are junk lol. At least the mass movers the auto parts stores sell are. Every brand seems to have a high and a low side of things.

Did quite a bit of fleet work for police in the area, they often went with Micro Green filters. 30,000 mile oil changes with changing the filter every 10,000 miles. Those Police cars burned more then 4 qts every 10,000 miles, though... so it was like an oil change lol! Micro Green filters had serious issues with sealing in the beginning, enough that I won't use them or recommend them. The tightening procedure they recommended was ridiculous.

Last edited by Hi-Po; 01-19-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: By
Old 01-18-2016, 07:36 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
The Wix XPs/NAPA Platinums ARE very good, strong, filters.

BUT, their filtering efficiency levels are NOT quite as good as the; Amsoil EaOs, Mobil 1s, or Fram Ultra filters (but then their flow rates might also be higher than those filters).
I would agree the Amsoil EAO might have better filtering but certainly not the Mobil1, it's a regular paper filter. Different class.

The Wix XP, EAO and Fram Ultra have special synthetic media. Having opened all of them, I'd say the Fram Ultra was the poorest of the lot (yet still a very good filter), I'd say the XP & EAO are better.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 01-18-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
I use to buy Purolator filters buy the thousands each year(1.38 a piece!), they are junk lol. At least the mass movers the auto parts stores sell are. Every brand seems to have a high and a low side of things.
Yes, I'm sure every maker has a buck-fifty economy build that (sadly) outsells every better filter they offer.

I'm wondering: Does Purolator offer a high end filter like the Wix XP, Amsoil EAO etc. with a screen backed synthetic media?

From what I've seen, they have from poor like a cheap Fram to good like a Mobil1 but does it stop there?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Good thing it was a catchable leak! I'm with op.. All I've used is delco an knock on wood NVR had a problem so I'm sticking with em!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I would agree the Amsoil EAO might have better filtering but certainly not the Mobil1, it's a regular paper filter. Different class.

The Wix XP, EAO and Fram Ultra have special synthetic media. Having opened all of them, I'd say the Fram Ultra was the poorest of the lot (yet still a very good filter), I'd say the XP & EAO are better.
I am NOT arguing the quality of/construction of the XP/Platinums, just their actual, published, efficiency specs (like ~95% @ 20 microns, whereas the others are ~97-99% @ 15 microns), that's all.

STILL an excellent filter which I have used in the past, and probably will again.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I gotcha.

I think the design of the better filters allows them to retain their efficiency longer. Synthetic filter media was first developed to extend the life of oil in big rigs. As they take gallons of oil, the savings across a large fleet could be considerable over time.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many oil filters have you purchased new and opened up for examination and comparison?

Where is Purolator rated as some of the best filters? Better than Baldwin? Better than Amsoil EAO?

What makes a filter a gimmick filter? Better components inside, better design and made in the USA?

Who was talking about $30 filters? The Wix XP is $7.28 at Rock Auto, $7.99 at O'Reilly's, found by BandDirector.

Did you read this entire thread where Purolator was discussed? Did you read about the string Purolator ties around their filter media? Did you follow some of the links in this thread?

If you like Purolator filters and they work well for you, by all means go ahead and continue using them (at ten bucks each).
Purolator has been a long standing high end filter through independent tests for years on end. It's a mainstream filter, used by hundreds of thousands of shops around the world, unlike amsoil. Regardless of that, prior to mann-hummel buying them out in 2013 (which is another high end company). In fact the purolator plant produced several brands of oil filters including mopar OEM filters. Now if you really wanna hate on a filter, hate on fram, which is owned by honeywell/champion labs. But guess what, they also make Mobil 1 and K&N filters as well.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Well folks, nobody posted if Purolator had a high end filter with synthetic wire backed media so I did my own research.

As it turns out, they offer one, it's simply called The Synthetic Filter. Has anybody here ever heard of it or used it?

Rock Auto doesn't seem to offer it but it's on Amazon and Ebay.

I'm gonna order one to have a look inside and add it to the High End Filters Examined thread.

Meanwhile, it appears that the vast majority of Purolator filters sold are their bottom dollar stuff. Rock Auto has many for $1.41 each.

If you guys like your Purolator, by all means continue using it (I keep saying this in this thread). I'll continue to keep Wix XP or Amsoil on my shelf for my vehicles.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Spawne32, I realize you stand by your filter. Nothing wrong with that. I'm respecting.

How many oil filters have you purchased new and opened up for examination and comparison?

Where is Purolator rated as some of the best filters? Better than Baldwin? Better than Amsoil EAO?

What makes a filter a gimmick filter? Better components inside, better design and made in the USA?

Who was talking about $30 filters? The Wix XP is $7.28 at Rock Auto, $7.99 at O'Reilly's, found by BandDirector.

Did you read this entire thread where Purolator was discussed? Did you read about the string Purolator ties around their filter media? Did you follow some of the links in this thread?

If you like Purolator filters and they work well for you, by all means go ahead and continue using them (at ten bucks each).
Originally Posted by spawne32
Purolator has been a long standing high end filter through independent tests for years on end. It's a mainstream filter, used by hundreds of thousands of shops around the world, unlike amsoil. Regardless of that, prior to mann-hummel buying them out in 2013 (which is another high end company). In fact the purolator plant produced several brands of oil filters including mopar OEM filters. Now if you really wanna hate on a filter, hate on fram, which is owned by honeywell/champion labs. But guess what, they also make Mobil 1 and K&N filters as well.
Yes, that's all fine but you didn't really answer any of the questions I posed.

Are you saying Purolator makes K&N & Mobil1?

I consider a "high end" filter to have that better wire backed synthetic media. The vast majority of Purolator filters are the cheap ones RA has at $1.41. And thousands of shops try to maximize profits using the most cost effective parts on vehicles they service-which is understandable due to the high cost of operating a shop today.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped up at the local orieleys after plowing this morning and was looking and reading a lot of the info on the filters there. Had the wix 51522 and the XP ones and maybe it is due to not sleeping for a few days or I am just getting slower, I swore that I was reading that the xp's were for using synthetic oil, I am not running synthetic in this new motor so I went with the regular 51522. Now I am reading that it was referring to the media. Maybe I will take these back. They are running a sale in the xp's, they are $7.95 just like the regular ones.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

These are the high end filters with the better media. Forget the Fleetguard, they've started to use cheap imports on smaller filters so their consistency is unknown.

In time, I'll be adding that Purolator Synthetic filter to the group-if it's innards are what they say it is.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Old 01-19-2016, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The synthetic medias to not automatically make it a "better filter". Hell the fram ultra guard you posted up there uses plastic on the bypass valve, or as fram puts it, "a fiberglass reinforced polysynthetic". While I can't speak to the updated designs to the purolator filters as of yet after the refresh they have went under in the past year, I can say that the purolator pure one filters did include the synthetic filter material. But from their website it looks like alot of changes have been made and alot more technology has been implemented to the brand through the buyout of MANN (german company btw). Seems they are offering 3 grades now, purolator standard, pure one and purolator boss which is the top tier. I will say this though, you cannot use price as a deciding factor of quality, I can get wix filters for 3 dollars a piece, where as FRAM's can be upwards of 8-15 and I'd trust the wix over the fram any day of the week.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are even including dirt removal capacities now as well, interesting.

http://www.pureoil.com/fileadmin/use...ECH_LOWRES.pdf
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I think the synthetic media allows a filter to continue a good flow rate throughout it's lifespan. A regular filter will have more reduced flow rate. This is why OTR trucks have a longer OCI.

Yes, all makers have a cheap filter.

So, what was known as The Synthetic from Purolator is no longer made? Their Boss filter is it now? If this is the case, I'll get and open The Boss, no use doing a filter no longer made.

I'd like to clarify something you said, Purolator makes K&N & Mobil1?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Well folks, nobody posted if Purolator had a high end filter with synthetic wire backed media so I did my own research.

As it turns out, they offer one, it's simply called The Synthetic Filter. Has anybody here ever heard of it or used it?
MANY on bitog (bobistheoilguy.com) have used/tried them, and although the general consensus was that they are a very good product, they still are not at the level of the EaOs/Ultras/RPs/M1s/etc.

There were NO reported incidents of their media tearing, like in the base Puros and Classics.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 10 micron rating for wix that you mention, I cannot find any rating on those filters. Only the regular wix 51522 with a micron rating at 21.

Max flow rate on both the regular and the xp's are the same at 9-11 gpm

This is something that I found on bobstheoilguy. This is pertaining to a different part number filer, but using wix's website, they show the same specs for the 51522 lineup.

Hummm ... WIX shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".
Old 01-20-2016, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
That 10 micron rating for wix that you mention, I cannot find any rating on those filters. Only the regular wix 51522 with a micron rating at 21.

Max flow rate on both the regular and the xp's are the same at 9-11 gpm

This is something that I found on bobstheoilguy. This is pertaining to a different part number filer, but using wix's website, they show the same specs for the 51522 lineup.

Hummm ... WIX shows "Beta Ratio: B2=20" for the XP.

That pretty much sucks, as that equates to: "50% efficient @ 20 microns".

The non-synthetic 51516 shows "Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20".

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...spx?Part=51516

That equates to:
"50% efficient @ 6 microns"
and
"95% efficient @ 20 microns".
I'll take my chances with Wix, along with half the other members on this site lol.

They've done comparison tests on all of these filters, and Wix was better than the regular acdelco and frams, etc....So unless you're wanting to get a high end high flow, which I'd rather catch particles than have high flow, then I think you'll be fine man. As long as you're not putting the cheapest filter you can find, I think you'll be fime

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter failure...beware