Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N oil filter failure...beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was not me stating that, that was all that I found on the rating between the regular wix and the xp's versions.

I have always run delcos, but will try on the regular wix on the next change. I was just researching some info
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
they still are not at the level of the EaOs/Ultras/RPs/M1s/etc.
Just want to point out that a Mobil1 is a very good REGULAR filter with a paper media. The EaO/Ultra/RP/XP etc have a very different media.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I think the synthetic media allows a filter to continue a good flow rate throughout it's lifespan. A regular filter will have more reduced flow rate. This is why OTR trucks have a longer OCI.

Yes, all makers have a cheap filter.

So, what was known as The Synthetic from Purolator is no longer made? Their Boss filter is it now? If this is the case, I'll get and open The Boss, no use doing a filter no longer made.

I'd like to clarify something you said, Purolator makes K&N & Mobil1?
They did as far as ive known for the past 10 years PRIOR to the buyout in 2013, after that I couldnt say for sure. Purolator, along with honeywell/champion labs were two of the largest manufacturers of automotive oil filters around. Alot of the oem filters, like delco, honda, mopar etc were produced by the two brands. In fact there was a run of honda and acdelco filters that I am aware of that were built much like the cheaply made frams with the cardboard tops, ive seen those dissected first hand, very disappointing for an OEM filter. Purolator made two filters before, the purolator classic (white) and the purolator pure one (which had an older blue casing and then the newer yellow casing with the grippy **** on it that looked like stripper glitter). I have not yet seen these new purolator redesigns since MANN took them over on the store shelves, so im looking forward to that. Looks like they have 3 different grades now however according to the PDF, with the BOSS filter being the highest end and the pureone being the middle grade.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to bump this up. I pulled my Camaro out of the garage this morning and I had an oil leak. Found out it is coming from the k&n filter area. This is the first time I have used the k&n and will be the last.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Did you determine it was the oil filter? If so, where was it leaking from?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The K@N filter I fitted at the start of the year leaked as soon as I started the car, so i tightened it a bit harder and it still leaked, but less. I then tightened it harder than i would have expected and it now seals, but in over 40 years of experience I've never needed to do that. Perhaps the rubber seal is a harder compound than normal and that's why there is the hex on the base. i won't be using them again in my imminent oil change.

Pete
Old 10-02-2016, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by plastic orange
The K@N filter I fitted at the start of the year leaked as soon as I started the car, so i tightened it a bit harder and it still leaked, but less. I then tightened it harder than i would have expected and it now seals, but in over 40 years of experience I've never needed to do that. Perhaps the rubber seal is a harder compound than normal and that's why there is the hex on the base. i won't be using them again in my imminent oil change.

Pete
I used K&N for years with no problems and still have one on one of my cars but have switched to a Wix for my LS1 powered car after reading this thread, they're not cheap over here in Aus though.

Pete, off topic but that Morris Minor in your avatar looks mega cool, there wouldn't be too many around that look that good, is it yours?

Jason.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

K&N, Wix, Mobil1, Hastings, all good quality and pretty much the same inside, whichever one works best for you guys. Good to hear you're all staying away from the junk filters.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

When I purchased my car a few years ago I searched and inquired about oil and got some feedback on filters too, that I wasn't looking for. I just always assumed Fram was the "good" filter and have used them on everything I have owned just like my father and grand father. I also assumed that the K&N and Mobil1 type filters were a load of BS. Now I run an AC Delco on my trans am because that's what "you guys" told me to do. Now I'm confused.

As far as the OP's OP goes, yes it is a little harsh to bash a company and its product based on one experience and give no evidence to support it. Then again, we kind of rely on one another for information and experience so if he says it's a POS then I'll stay away from it. There are some pretty eyebrow raising noobs on here now and then, but for the most part we're all car guys with some, though varying levels of, experience.

I over tighten oil filters BTW. That's bad. But I do wipe the surface if the engine, fill the new filter with oil and lube the new ring with it as well. That's good. I have never had a filter leak, never heard of anyone of my friends or family experiencing a leak.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spawne32
That "made in china" bandwagon is so cliche these days. Consider the fact that 90% of all the products you own are made overseas, and probably more then 50% of those are made in china, the anti china sentiment makes me laugh. I'd also consider the fact that alot of the parts made in the USA are equally junk half the time as well. I look at the quality and track record of the product, not the mfg country. I put little faith in an american union worker on a friday night trying to get out of work early producing my products in the same manner I put little faith in the mexican sweatshop producing alot of OEM GM parts, and the chinese rip off brands that cut out every possible safety implementation in a product to sell it at a fraction of the cost.
I totally get this and agree that just because it is made in the US does not mean that it is a quality item. But a part that is made in China is made by a company looking to cut costs and whether it be products, services or labor IN GENERAL you usually get what you pay for. And a company shifting labor overseas is also a company that is willing to sacrifice visibility and quick, effective control for cost. Just something to think about.

There can't be such a large Made in China stigma for no reason.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:54 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I believe the OP's leak came from a bad spot weld on the can nut. I'm sure it's a very rare problem with K&N filters but it is a place where problems can pop up.

Years ago, I was solid user of AC-Delco filters but as ACDelco now exists outside of GM as a group of sub contractors, it's not the same. This was after the 2008 GM bankruptcy. ACDelco filters today are known to often be made by Fram and are no better.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 10-03-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

I believe the OP's leak came from a bad spot weld on the can nut. I'm sure it's a very rare problem with K&N filters but it is a place where problems can pop up.

Years ago, I was solid user of AC-Delco filters but as ACDelco now exists outside of GM as a group of sub contractors, it's not the same. This was after the 2008 GM bankruptcy. ACDelco filters today are known to often be made by Fram and are no better.
There was a discussion about AC Delco on another forum I belong to. You are correct in the sense that Delco parts aren't truly GM parts. The only way to get genuine GM parts is from a GM dealer. I am not sure that you are correct about the 2008 bankruptcy thing though, I believe Delco has been that way all along.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never used them myself but one of the guys here at work asked me if I knew anything about them because he had an issue. He said the first one leaked as soon as he cranked his car. He yanked if off and went back to the parts store and got another one and that one started leaking after a week and when he went to remove it with the "nut" on the bottom it tore out the bottom of the filter. He asked what I use and I said WIX...or sometimes the Mobil 1 brand.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Prior to 2008, AC-Delco was GM. Afterwards, it was ACDelco, note the missing hyphen.

It's best to still buy some ACDelco parts such as A/C condensers, they'll have the correct number of tubes. Aftermarket often has less.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_R_23
+1 for Wix filters here as well. I won't run any other filter on any of my engines. It never fails to amaze me how people can spend thousands, if not tens of thousands, building a top-tier engine, and then finish it off with the cheapest off the shelf oil filter (and usually oil to boot), just because it saves them 5 bucks. Oil and filters are the best and cheapest insurance you can buy for a long lasting engine, and the absolute last place I would want to cheap out on.
This guy gets it.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jase01
I used K&N for years with no problems and still have one on one of my cars but have switched to a Wix for my LS1 powered car after reading this thread, they're not cheap over here in Aus though.

Pete, off topic but that Morris Minor in your avatar looks mega cool, there wouldn't be too many around that look that good, is it yours?

Jason.
Yes, Jason it is my LS1 powered 1950 Minor, owned by me since 1972,

cheers,

Pete
Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

I've just spent the last half hour ordering 2 Wix xp oil filters - $33. Bet you wish you don't stay in the UK

Pete
Old 10-04-2016, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Prior to 2008, AC-Delco was GM. Afterwards, it was ACDelco, note the missing hyphen.

It's best to still buy some ACDelco parts such as A/C condensers, they'll have the correct number of tubes. Aftermarket often has less.
My understanding is that the brand was created in general so that The General could sell "approved" parts under a quasi-GM banner. The topic came up when someone grumbled about getting a foreign part in a Delco box. The jist of the discussion and the word from some people who seemed to be in the know was that GM only sells parts through GM dealers but wanted to be able to reach out and compete in auto parts stores with parts that are NOT actual O.E. replacements, at a lower cost so that they could be competitive with the other brands.

Again, the parts are approved by GM so they have their hand in it to a certain extent, but are made by all sorts of manufacturers. I have purchased several parts that were clearly not factory and of course foreign made. I don't have decades of experience with checking out Delco parts so maybe it is a new thing, but the explanation certainly made sense.

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter failure...beware